Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 8/9 - Timber Rattlers Matinee on Local TV

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Hiram Burgos at Omaha (Royals), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Jorge Lopez at home vs. Pensacola (Reds), 6:10 PM pre-game, 6:40 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Marcos Diplan at Lakeland (Tigers), 12:00 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio is available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Thomas Jankins at home vs. Kane County (Diamondbacks), 11:45 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Cam Roegner at Grand Junction (Rockies), 7:35 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the baby Redlings, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Tigers, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball Star Corey Ray Carries Positive Torch For His Beloved Chicago

by Justin Breen, dnainfo.com

"I'm coming up with a [batting] approach that works at this level and will hopefully work at the next levels," he said. "Here, pitchers know how to use both sides of the plate consistently, and they know how to control the breaking ball."

Full article at the link...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sky Sox leadoff batter Kyle Wren working his way on Brewers' prospects radar

Joe Paisley, Colorado Springs Gazette

Sky Sox outfielder Kyle Wren is making the most of his second chance in Colorado Springs.

The former Atlanta Braves draft pick was disappointed to start the 2016 season in Double-A Biloxi - where he began the 2015 campaign - but he shook off the demotion, continued working on his hitting, and batted .425 through the first 50 games this season.

That got Milwaukee's attention and he was promoted to Triple-A Colorado Springs on June 7, where he soon cemented himself as the Sky Sox leadoff hitter. He is batting .362 with 71 hits (nine doubles) and 33 walks in 56 games after Sunday evening's home contest.

"He has had a very good year," manager Rick Sweet said. "He worked very hard last year and in the offseason and did what he had to do."

He has become a more effective hitter, adjusting his swing over the past 11 months to better drive the ball. It forces opposing team to play him honest instead of creeping forward when bunting was his best offensive option.

"We're not talking home runs but he is able to drive the ball into the gaps," Sweet said. "Now that he can hit effectively, that allows him to get on base more consistently."

Having been at Triple-A before helped him this summer. His first stint in Colorado Springs did not start well but he improved and finished strong last August.

In his 2016 return, he had to remain patient.

"It was pretty crowded in the outfield when I got here so I didn't play much the first week or so," Wren said. "But once I got regular time I started hitting the ball better. It's been a pretty good season so far."

Now, he is arguably the team's most improved prospect.

"He's definitely put himself on our radar," Sweet said.

Wren, 25, isn't overly worried about that. The son of former Braves general manager Frank Wren doesn't deny that being in Triple-A is tantalizingly close to the bigs, but he does not let the possibility of a promotion distract him.

"I just don't try to think about it too much," he said. "I keep on playing to my strengths and coming to the ballpark every day to work. If the opportunity comes, I'll make sure I am ready."

Wow an awesome comeback for the T-Rats to pull out a victory, details later tonight.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Clark Cracks Two-Run, Walk-Off Double

Rattlers rally for five in the ninth to beat Kane County

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/8/0/0/194577800/cuts/8_9_PlayerOfTheGame_TrentClark_qeltgzhc_7hbai4u7.jpg

Trent Clark went 2-for-4 including a 2-run, walk-off double in the bottom of the ninth inning on Tuesday afternoon. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Wow! Just wow! This team needed something like this after the way the last 3 games went, what a comeback.

The pitching wasn't great as the runs were spread around between all 4 pitchers, though the middle relief wasn't all that good. Thomas Jankins started and went the longest, pitching 3 innings, giving up 4 hits, 1 run, and striking out 5.

I think the caption was incorrect as Trent Clark only had 1 hit, I went through game log 5 times to see if a hit was changed to an E or a FC, but boy what a hit. Isan Diaz (2-4,2B), Troy Stokes (2-4,2B), and Lucas Erceg (2-4,HR,2B) had the multi hit games for the Rattlers. If you look at Erceg, there's no way you'd expect him to be a player... he doesn't fill out his uniform, he doesn't have that athletic build at first sight, but the only thing I've seen him struggle with is his throws across the diamond, and he has an absolute cannon. For those interested in MLB rehab assignments Domingo Santana went 0-2, he's only hit .154 in the WI small sample.

Wisconsin Recap

Read about it in the game story and then bask in the glory one more time!

Wisconsin Bottom of the 9th

• Pitching Change: Cody Clark replaces Keegan Long.
    Isan Diaz doubles (30) on a fly ball to center fielder Marcus Wilson.
    Troy Stokes Jr. singles on a ground ball to left fielder Joey Armstrong. Isan Diaz scores.
    Lucas Erceg doubles (6) on a line drive to right fielder Stryker Trahan. Troy Stokes Jr. to 3rd.
    Jonathan Oquendo hit by pitch.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Brandon Diaz replaces Jonathan Oquendo.
    Luis Aviles walks. Troy Stokes Jr. scores. Lucas Erceg to 3rd. Brandon Diaz to 2nd.
    Pitching Change: Hector Hernandez replaces Cody Clark.
    With Alan Sharkey batting, wild pitch by Hector Hernandez, Lucas Erceg scores. Brandon Diaz to 3rd. Luis Aviles to 2nd.
    Alan Sharkey strikes out swinging.
    Hector Hernandez intentionally walks Natanael Mejia.
    Trent Clark doubles (12) on a line drive to right fielder Stryker Trahan. Brandon Diaz scores. Luis Aviles scores. Natanael Mejia to 3rd.

Postgame Post – August 9, 2016

3 interviews in this postgame.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sorry no I don't, I have no interest in MLB rehab assignments at all so their mention doesn't catch my attention.

I would expect Santana to hit just about every level on his way up if it's going to be an extended rehab, the Brewers have done that in the past.

- Plato

- Plato

Shuckers drop homestand finale to Pensacola, 7-4

Jacob Nottingham was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI's

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/7/2/194664972/cuts/2Q5A9842_j8gbc15j_4udpw9pc.JPG

Jacob Nottingham was 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI on Tuesday night (Michael Krebs)

Biloxi Boxscore

Well I guess the Jorge Lopez strike out performance wasn't indicative of anything. Preston Gainey went scoreless in his first time out in AA this season.

Javier Betancourt walked 3 times, he only had 21 for the season coming into today's action. Jacob Nottingham had a multi hit effort for the fist time in quite a while, hopefully a sign of better things to come.

Biloxi Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Final (6 innings): Brevard County 6, Lakeland 4

Pena’s Grand Slam Carries Manatees to Victory

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

In a rain shortened game two Manatees collected a pair of hits, Corey Ray (2-for-2, BB) and Fidel Pena (2-for-3, HR). Brevard County finished 3-for-4 with runners in scoring position.

In his sixth start at high-A Marcos Diplan pitched all 5.0 innings allowing 6 hits, 4 runs, 1 walk, and recording 5 strikeouts.

Brevard County Game Log

The Manatees got off to a 6-0 lead after a 2-run 1st inning and 4-run 2nd inning.

Brevard County Top of the 1st

• Corey Ray singles on a line drive to center fielder Ismael Salgado.
    Fidel Pena singles on a line drive to right fielder Ross Kivett. Corey Ray to 3rd.
    George Iskenderian singles on a soft line drive to right fielder Ross Kivett. Corey Ray scores. Fidel Pena to 2nd.
    With Elvis Rubio batting, Kade Scivicque picks off George Iskenderian at 1st on throw to Wade Hinkle.
    Elvis Rubio called out on strikes.
    With Blake Allemand batting, wild pitch by Matt Hall, Fidel Pena to 3rd.
    Blake Allemand singles on a line drive to left fielder Rashad Brown. Fidel Pena scores.
    David Denson grounds out, pitcher Matt Hall to first baseman Wade Hinkle.

Brevard County Top of the 2nd

• Mitch Ghelfi walks.
    Jose Cuas pops out to first baseman Wade Hinkle in foul territory.
    Malik Collymore singles on a line drive to left fielder Rashad Brown. Mitch Ghelfi to 2nd.
    Corey Ray walks. Mitch Ghelfi to 3rd. Malik Collymore to 2nd.
    Fidel Pena hits a grand slam (4) to left center field. Mitch Ghelfi scores. Malik Collymore scores. Corey Ray scores.
    George Iskenderian grounds out, third baseman Zac Shepherd to first baseman Wade Hinkle.
    Elvis Rubio grounds out, second baseman Garrett Mattlage to first baseman Wade Hinkle.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Burgos Baffles Omaha Bats in 3-1 Win

Pinto home run, strong bullpen, back strong Burgos start.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Box Score

Behind a strong start from one of their veterans, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox defeated the Omaha Storm Chasers 3-1 at Werner Park on Tuesday night.

Sky Sox starter Hiram Burgos (6-9, 4.97) pitched six brilliant innings, allowing just one run on five hits while walking three and striking out six to earn his sixth win of the season.

Both teams got off to a nearly identical start. With one out in the first, Nate Orf doubled off Omaha starter Christian Binford (2-10, 5.59). The next batter, Lewis Brinson, lined into an unassisted double play to second baseman Ramon Torres, who doubled Orf off second to end the inning.

In the bottom half, Reymond Fuentes doubled with one out against Burgos. But the next batter, Jorge Bonifacio hit a line drive right back to Burgos, who made the catch and threw to Orf at second to double off Fuentes to end the inning.

In the third, the Sky Sox loaded the bases with three walks and Kyle Wren coming to the plate. Wren grounded into a double play off Binford, but Michael Reed came home to score the game's first run.

Omaha answered with a run in the bottom half off Burgos as Whit Merrifield hit a two-out double to score Parker Morin and even the score at one after three.

The Sky Sox were quick to respond in the fourth as Josmil Pinto crushed a two-out solo home run, his eighth of the season, to give the Sky Sox a 2-1 lead. The Sky Sox extended the lead in the fifth as Reed reached on an error, then a bunt from Eric Young Jr. was misplayed for another error, allowing Reed to score and give the Sky Sox a 3-1 lead after five.

In the bottom of the fifth, Burgos worked around a Fuentes single to pitch another scoreless inning. He did the same in the sixth by retiring the side in order, including a strikeout of Orlando Calixte to end the inning with the Sky Sox still up a pair. The Sky Sox turned to the bullpen in the seventh, ending Burgos' night.

Tyler Cravy entered for Colorado Springs in the seventh and worked around a pair of runners to pitch a scoreless inning to keep the Sky Sox up a pair after seven. In the eighth, Cravy struck out the side in order in a dominant frame to send the game to the ninth.

Closer Damien Magnifico entered for the Sky Sox in the ninth and struck out two in a scoreless inning to finish the win and earn his 16th save of the season.

Offensively, Brinson recorded a pair of hits to extend his hitting streak to eight games since joining the Sky Sox last week.

In the series finale on Wednesday night, Wei-Chung Wang (NR) will get the start in his first appearance for the Sky Sox this season. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. MDT at Werner Park.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Lewis Brinson stays hot with two more hits. He’s now hitting .455 since coming to Milwaukee.

25-year old Damien Magnifico has had a solid season at AAA. His save tonight was his 16th in 19 tries. He still struggles with his control, but his ERA is a respectable 3.29. He should get a shot at the big league club, if not this September, then next year.

Sorry no I don't, I have no interest in MLB rehab assignments at all so their mention doesn't catch my attention.

I would expect Santana to hit just about every level on his way up if it's going to be an extended rehab, the Brewers have done that in the past.

That's what I figured, but wasn't sure if the Brewers mentioned anything.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Shuckers’ late rally falls short against Pensacola

Doug Barber, Special to the Biloxi Sun-Herald

BILOXI - Pensacola’s five-run explosion in the second inning was too much for the Biloxi Shuckers to overcome as the Blue Wahoos posted a 7-4 Southern League victory at MGM Park on Tuesday night.

Pensacola (21-24 in the second half, 62-53 overall) salvaged the final game of the series, won by the Shuckers 3-2. Biloxi fell to 18-27 in the second half and 57-57 overall.

“Double plays were a killer but I think the five runs in the second inning was a tougher spot,” Biloxi manager Mike Guerrero said. “We had an opportunity in the eighth where with a home run we tie the ball game. There are not many times you have an opportunity when you’re down 7-0 to get the tying run to the plate.

“We are playing better baseball. I don’t look at winning the series. On a daily basis, you try to win every game you can. At this point it is not about winning series, it’s about winning games.”

After an off day Wednesday, the Shuckers travel to Jackson, Tennessee to open a road series.

Angel Ventura (1-3, 4.99) will be the starting pitcher in Thursday’s series opener.

The Blue Wahoos rode three doubles in the top of the second to jet to the 5-0 lead. Phillip Ervin rapped an RBI double to right for a 1-0 lead. Then Zach Vincej smashed a two-run double to left. Later in the inning, Brandon Dixon grounded out for a RBI, then Alex Blandino rapped a RBI double to left to cap the rally.

Ervin hit his 10th homer of the season, a solo shot to left in the sixth, and Vincej drove in his third run of the game in the seventh with a RBI single for a 7-0 lead.

The Shuckers rallied in the eighth. Jacob Nottingham ripped a one-out, two-run single to cut the lead to 7-2. After a walk and hit batsman, Javier Betancourt worked a walk to drive in another run. Then Gabriel Noriega hit a sacrifice fly to cut the lead to 7-4 with two outs.

But right-handed reliever Alejandro Chaco struck out Nick Martinez, who represented the tying run at the plate, to end the rally.

Chaco recorded his 22nd save in 26 opportunities, and former Brewer farmhand Barrett Astin, the second of fourth Pensacola pitchers, got the win. He is 7-3 overall with his won-loss record and 6-0 in relief.

Jorge Lopez (0-2) took the loss, giving up five runs on six hits in five innings. He struck out five and walked two. Mitch Lambson, Junior Rincon, Preston Gainey and Stephen Peterson each worked an inning in relief of Lopez.

Nottingham was 2-for-3 for the Shuckers with two RBIs. The Shuckers hit into five double plays.

Ervin went 2-for- 4 with a home and double and two RBIs. Vincej was 2-for- 5 with three RBIs.

Sebastian Elizalde and Joe Hudson each added two hits apiece in the 11-hit attack.

Baseball Star Corey Ray Carries Positive Torch For His Beloved Chicago

by Justin Breen, dnainfo.com

"I'm coming up with a [batting] approach that works at this level and will hopefully work at the next levels," he said. "Here, pitchers know how to use both sides of the plate consistently, and they know how to control the breaking ball."

Full article at the link...

He's been given no timetable to advance within the Brewers' farm system, but two of his former coaches in Chicago, Kevin Coe and Lou Collier, expect Ray to reach the majors

Sweet Lou Collier!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Isan Diaz 2-4 is up to .280 now and a 864 OPS after a horrendous start to the season.

Troy Stokes 2-4 is up to .270 and 767 OPS

Lucas Erceg 2-4 is up to .307 over 866 OPS

Trent Clark 1-4 is up to .245 and 866 OPS after a bad start.

Diaz's turn around has been nothing short of amazing.

June: .316 .393 .579 .972 ( 95 ABs)

July: .327 .413 .645 1.058 (110 ABs)

Aug: .419 .526 .903 1.430 ( 31 ABs)

Lots of disappointments this year on performance, but these 4 have played extremely well as of late.

Archived