Brewer Fanatic

Tim Tebow pursuing baseball career

ZBTMP
He can't be any worse that Michael Jordan was, most likely better than Garth Brooks as well. I'm sure he has a cannon for an arm, he's fast, and he can't be a worse outfielder than Adam Dunn or his ilk. He's a phenomenal athlete, I think the time lapse probably makes his making the majors an unlikelihood, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could mash in the minors. He's huge, and he's played in the past. I'm sure he can hit a fastball a long way. I'm not sure how he's much different from a Monte Harrison type, just older, and more mature physically and mentally. This will keep him busy until he's old enough to be president in a few years.

That's a really good point. Baseball teams will draft or sign a guy just because he's an athlete, regardless of their baseball playing ability or whether or not they have actually ever played baseball. I don't see how this would be any different.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He can't be any worse that Michael Jordan was, most likely better than Garth Brooks as well. I'm sure he has a cannon for an arm, he's fast, and he can't be a worse outfielder than Adam Dunn or his ilk. He's a phenomenal athlete, I think the time lapse probably makes his making the majors an unlikelihood, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could mash in the minors. He's huge, and he's played in the past. I'm sure he can hit a fastball a long way. I'm not sure how he's much different from a Monte Harrison type, just older, and more mature physically and mentally. This will keep him busy until he's old enough to be president in a few years.

That's a really good point. Baseball teams will draft or sign a guy just because he's an athlete, regardless of their baseball playing ability or whether or not they have actually ever played baseball. I don't see how this would be any different.

The difference is he hasn't played baseball in a decade.

The sport choice to me is what is odd. He's sat out of the NFL for the past few seasons because he has insisted he is a QB only, despite having a skill set that would suggest he could transition to TE. The other thing that's odd is guys like Moeller and Gary Sheffield saying he is "legit" which some are using as evidence that they are essentially paid endorsers to try to land him a job.

Is it wrong for him to not want to play football if he can't be a QB? It's his life and his choice. Really simple concept.

The difference is he hasn't played baseball in a decade.

I don't know why that would matter. He's still an athlete and that's all some teams will care about.

It's different because he hasn't played in 10+ years and is now 29. Drafting an athlete at 21/22 is different than at 29 when his "athleticism" is going to start declining. If somehow he can hit, good for him, but I seriously doubt he can hit anywhere close to 200 at the big league level right now.

I doubt he could either, most can't. The guy is a phenomenal athlete, who really hasn't had to age his body much in the past few years, due to a lack of interest of all teams in him being a QB. His athleticism is at it's peak. If he's able to do it, it's now. Let's be honest, all anyone is talking about here is his ability to bat. His days of playing a "skill" position have passed, he's probably only a corner OF, regardless of what position he used to play. This is a low risk gamble for any team. Throw him in the fire, if he wants a quick route, dump one of your AAAA players and let him roam LF on a AAA team. If he fails, it's expected, if he succeeds, you get a decent ball player and a huge media presence. You don't think a Milwaukee would jump at that? We've been marketing a dog for the last few years, for goodness sakes.

The sport choice to me is what is odd. He's sat out of the NFL for the past few seasons because he has insisted he is a QB only, despite having a skill set that would suggest he could transition to TE. The other thing that's odd is guys like Moeller and Gary Sheffield saying he is "legit" which some are using as evidence that they are essentially paid endorsers to try to land him a job.

Is it wrong for him to not want to play football if he can't be a QB? It's his life and his choice. Really simple concept.

Where did I say it was wrong? And is it possible for you to comment on anything without condescending people with differing opinions? Frankly I'm tired of it.

Gruber Lawffices

Where did I say it was wrong? And is it possible for you to comment on anything without condescending people with differing opinions? Frankly I'm tired of it.

You said it was odd. Why odd? It seems to me he wants to do what makes him happiest or wants something new.

We've been marketing a dog for the last few years, for goodness sakes.

This is one my favorite lines posted on this board.

I think some of you are making too big a deal about this. The odds are obviously against him, however if you're an athlete, you're an athlete. It's not like this is unprecedented. Brian Jordan, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders were all football first types, granted I think all of them played college baseball as well. There are also guys who flip from pitching to hitting and have had some success. Ankiel comes to mind.

If he is truly committed to it, I think there's a chance.

Heard Chad Moeller on ESPN say he thought Tebow could hit .220 today. I presume that's in the big leagues and not back at the high school level where he last played. I guess that falls under "takes one to know one" assessment of hitting prowess.

Back 40 years ago I worked with a guy who was 19 or 20 at the time. He had been a very good CF in high school in Chicago, could run like a gazelle and really throw the ball with something on it. In short a really, really good athlete. He took his vacation time in spring and went to Florida and asked teams for tryouts. A couple were willing to work him out. A scout from the Pirates rated him as having a AA ceiling. He was excited until the scout told him they were only interested in players with major league ceilings. Thanks for coming kid. Hey at least he knew.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guy like that should be playing rugby. He'd be a star.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I doubt he could either, most can't. The guy is a phenomenal athlete, who really hasn't had to age his body much in the past few years, due to a lack of interest of all teams in him being a QB. His athleticism is at it's peak. If he's able to do it, it's now. Let's be honest, all anyone is talking about here is his ability to bat. His days of playing a "skill" position have passed, he's probably only a corner OF, regardless of what position he used to play. This is a low risk gamble for any team. Throw him in the fire, if he wants a quick route, dump one of your AAAA players and let him roam LF on a AAA team. If he fails, it's expected, if he succeeds, you get a decent ball player and a huge media presence. You don't think a Milwaukee would jump at that? We've been marketing a dog for the last few years, for goodness sakes.

It's not a gamble with little to no risk. Put Tebow on any minor league team and it becomes a complete media circus instead what the job really is for any minor league team, trying to develop players to eventually make the big league roster. A distraction on an epic level for a 29 year old guy who has zero shot of ever making the majors, much less being an impact-full big league player.

So why bother signing him?

As for signing him and throwing Tebow right into AAA, are you crazy? He'd be lucky to hit .200 in A ball or the rookie league.

I don't really view AAA as that much of a developmental league, it's the finishing touch place. What better level to expose them to the madness that is MLB media? There's precedent for this type of thing, the world has not ended. Think what you will of Tebow, I've seen nothing that has shown him to be a bad person, if anything, he could show them a thing or two about professionalism. Why start him in rookie ball? He's 29, he's either going to help you now, or flame out. You're not going to baby him to a 5 year transition. The guy is one of the best athletes in the world. If someone has a chance of doing this, it's him.

Why bother signing him? Because you want attention. There is a constant pout among mid-small market teams that ESPN and the world doesn't care about them. Sign Tebow. ESPN will be there. Maybe some deserving players get noticed/attention because of it. Maybe he's a freak of nature and is actually good enough to consider. You're not doing this because he's the difference in a World Series, that would be a ridiculous assumption. There's a 99% chance he can't hit anything but BP fastballs. You're doing this because maybe you'll see some Brewers hats outside of Metro-Milwaukee. You're doing this because it distracts people from the fact that the MLB team isn't going to be competitive for a bit. Kinda like Hank. Kinda like finding gnomes in a city. Kinda like having people wear foam rubber sausage suits and run a race. It's entertainment, it's publicity, it's a business.

I've officially spent more time defending and thinking about Tim Tebow than I ever thought was possible.

Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball.

:)

Great movie, but unless I am interpreting this incorrectly, I do question why someone dislikes Tebow just because of his religion. I see absolutely nothing wrong with someone attempting to achieve their dreams even if his chances of making the bigs is slim to none. Kind of inspirational actually.

(I'll show myself out.)

Great movie, but unless I am interpreting this incorrectly, I do question why someone dislikes Tebow just because of his religion. I see absolutely nothing wrong with someone attempting to achieve their dreams even if his chances of making the bigs is slim to none. Kind of inspirational actually.

Well it's because of his religion and his religion ONLY that he is an absolute media darling. I realize this is more the media's fault and not Tim's but

please answer me this DocLuna 7...

Why should Tebow get to ride the Son of God's coat tails while everyone else has to actually perform on the field in order to even get a 10th of the attention this guy gets?

Well it's because of his religion and his religion ONLY that he is an absolute media darling. I realize this is more the media's fault and not Tim's but

Why should Tebow get to ride the Son of God's coat tails while everyone else has to actually perform on the field in order to even get a 10th of the attention this guy gets?

He was somewhat of a failure in the NFL but didn't he QB a playoff team, win a playoff game, and win a national championship in college? Seems like he performed at a relatively high level to me.

Don't be mad he is marketing himself and making money. If do the same if I was lucky enough.

We got Jim Rushford to the big leagues, so I'd take a chance on Tebow. He was a great college QB and a successful (in limited opportunities) NFL QB. Given his intelligence, I always wanted him to experience McCarthy's QB school, but I'm sure they didn't want the media distraction. We need athletes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We got Jim Rushford to the big leagues, so I'd take a chance on Tebow. He was a great college QB and a successful (in limited opportunities) NFL QB. Given his intelligence, I always wanted him to experience McCarthy's QB school, but I'm sure they didn't want the media distraction. We need athletes.

Rushford wasn't a QB.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2001-10-31/2001-10-31-minors.htm

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Archived