Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Monday 8/8 - Hader, Woodruff, Bickford, Williams, oh my

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: LHP Josh Hader at Omaha (Royals), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Brandon Woodruff at home vs. Pensacola (Reds), 6:10 PM pre-game, 6:40 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Phil Bickford making his Brewers' debut at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 4:05 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio is available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Devin Williams at home vs. Kane County (Diamondbacks), 6:35 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime; expect RHP Trey Supak to pitch in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Matt Smith at Grand Junction (Rockies), 7:35 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): Idle

DSL Brewers: at the Tigers' complex in Glendale, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DSL Tigers 3, DSL Brewers 2

Brewers fall to 18-37. The Marlins are the only team that does not have at least one team with a better record than the Brewers in the DSL. DSL Marlins were 7-44 going into today's game so that's not something to which the Brewers ought to aspire.

Maiker Pinto got the start and went 4 innings. Freisis Adames took the loss in relief. I'll skip the pitching details today. Alberto Paulino got in the game at the end. He is 25, so not much of a prospect, but has an ERA of 0.00 for the year. Despite that, he is 0-2 with 1 blown save on the year. DSL Brewers Box Score

Yorki Franco was 2-4 with a stolen base. Antonio Pinero was 2-3 with a stolen base. DSL Brewers Game Log

Final: Lakeland 6, Brevard County 2

Long ball propels Lakeland over Manatees

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

The only multi-hit game came from George Iskenderian (2-for-4). It was the fourth time in August he has had a multi-hit game and he is now batting .385 this month (10-for-26).

Phil Bickford's debut was highlighted by 5 strikeouts. The game log of batters faced is documented below. Freddy Peralta allowed 2 home runs and 6 total hits in his 2.0 innings pitched.

Brevard County Game Log

Newcomer Phil Bickford threw 80 pitches over 4.2 innings. Below is the complete batter log for Bickford's debut.

Lakeland Bottom of the 1st

• Rashad Brown strikes out on a foul tip.
    Ben Verlander flies out to right fielder Elvis Rubio.
    A. J. Simcox strikes out swinging.

Lakeland Bottom of the 2nd

• Kade Scivicque singles on a line drive to left fielder David Denson.
    Wade Hinkle pops out to third baseman George Iskenderian.
    Ross Kivett flies out to center fielder Corey Ray.
    Zac Shepherd flies out sharply to right fielder Elvis Rubio.

Lakeland Bottom of the 3rd

• Garrett Mattlage strikes out swinging.
    Anthony Pereira lines out to center fielder Corey Ray.
    Rashad Brown strikes out swinging.

Lakeland Bottom of the 4th

• Ben Verlander grounds out, shortstop Jose Cuas to first baseman Fidel Pena.
    A. J. Simcox singles on a sharp line drive to center fielder Corey Ray.
    Kade Scivicque doubles (17) on a line drive to right fielder Elvis Rubio. A. J. Simcox to 3rd.
    Wade Hinkle out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder David Denson. A. J. Simcox scores.
    Ross Kivett singles on a sharp ground ball to left fielder David Denson. Kade Scivicque scores. Ross Kivett advances to 2nd, on a throwing error by left fielder David Denson.
    Zac Shepherd called out on strikes.

Lakeland Bottom of the 5th

• Garrett Mattlage walks.
    Anthony Pereira out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Phil Bickford to first baseman Fidel Pena. Garrett Mattlage to 2nd.
    Rashad Brown grounds out, third baseman George Iskenderian to first baseman Fidel Pena.
    Ben Verlander walks.
    Pitching Change: Josh Uhen replaces Phil Bickford.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Coulter 2-4....... just imagine the year he could have had if he wasn't held back.... okay I'll stop now haha Seems he has got his confidence back though!

Phillips a 3-4 night and HR! I really hope he has a hot month to finish season off. I don't another prospect beside maybe Jorge Lopez needs one more.

Woodruff....geeez no words for that big cat! He has been sensational since his adjustment period ended. May be milb pitcher of the year for the Brewers.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll be curious to see if Coulter can keep it up. His two hits today were grounders. I don't know if he's making hard contact or not.

Edit: Quick look at game logs and it appears Coulter has two hits via line drive since he moved to Biloxi. Maybe the grounders for hits will give him confidence but right now it doesn't look like he's exactly crushing the ball.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Coulter 2-4....... just imagine the year he could have had if he wasn't held back.... okay I'll stop now haha Seems he has got his confidence back though!

Next year will be more telling than what he's doing now... eventually the teams will figure him out and then we'll see.

Of course I'm happy he's started hot in AA, that's much better than the alternative, but people are teetering dangerously close to overplaying the BC effect on the hitters.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gatewood back in the lineup tonight, along with Domingo Santana. Excited for all the pitchers going tonight, but only Woody had great outing....and Supek

Gatewood has been back since Saturday, I don't recall posting anything though, my bad there.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Woodruff baffles Pensacola again as Shuckers clinch series

Jacob Nottingham and Brett Phillips homer in the 3-1 win on Monday

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/2/0/4/194455204/cuts/8S1A6326_8e9wqfmt_3bn8c8aj.JPG

Brett Phillips belted his 13th home run of 2016 with his third inning long ball on Monday night. (M.K. Krebs)

Biloxi Boxscore

The most reliable pitcher in the Biloxi rotation in Brandon Woodruff was at it again going 7 scoreless innings allowing just 5 hits, no walks, and striking out 6. Apparently Stephen Kohlscheen gave up a run, since it's in the box and the game story, I may choose to just ignore that it happened, but at least he didn't blow up like my boys in WI over the last couple of days.

The Shuckers put up 14 hits but only managed to score 3 runs, and 2 of those runs came on HRs, so it was good and bad, like most of the second half has been. This team just struggles to string hits together, just look at the recap... a lead off runner in every inning until the 6th but very little to show for all that base traffice. Biloxi didn't have a single 3 and out inning in the game.

There's enough prospect talent on this team that if they would just start hitting things could turn around in a hurry (Phillips, Nottingham, Taylor, Coulter, Ortega, Bentancourt, DeMuth, and Davis are all interesting in their own way), the pitching is extremely intriguing as well with Woodruff, Ortiz, Wang, Ventura, Jungmann, and Lopez. This team has played far below below it's talent level since the calendar turned to June so it would just be nice for them to finish on a high note, playoffs or not.

Biloxi Recap

This is a recap worth looking over as it's fairly representative of how the 2nd half has gone.

- Plato

- Plato

Rattlers Quiet in 6-2 Loss

Kane County hold Rattlers to three hits

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/1/3/2/191370132/cuts/7_23_PlayerOfTheGame_IsanDiaz_IMAGE_522yc99k_1f9jsrek.jpg

Isan Diaz hit his MWL-leading 18th home run of the season on Monday night for the Timber Rattlers. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

This team just hasn't recovered from the devastating bullpen implosions on Saturday and Sunday, they played pretty listless in this one.

After Devin Williams literally cruised through the first 2 innings like nothing, he started getting behind in 3rd and was in trouble most of the rest of his outing with the exception of the 5th. I was listening to the radio by the time Trey Supak came into the game, which was a mistake in hindsight because I would have liked to watch Supak pitch.

In testament to how busy I've been Chris pointed out something that had gotten completely past me, in years past I updated these stats about once a month but I just haven't gotten around to it this year. The Rattler pitching staff has over 1,000 strike outs (1027) coming into today action which leads the MWL. The next closest team has 964, so WI could go about a week without recording a strike out before it would be race again. That's pretty awesome considering all of the years the Rattlers were near the bottom with only 1 or 2 guys capable of recording SOs.

Offensively this game was all about the Diaz boys, Brandon Diaz (2-4,2B) had the only multi hit effort. He's a tough one because he's still striking out at an alarming rate, so even today it was all feast or famine. Hopefully there's most feast as the season winds down because he could really use a bump. Isan Diaz homered the other way again, a high percentage of his HRs have gone to the opposite field so his power potential is very real, I don't think I mentioned it but the homer he pulled over the weekend actually left the stadium. Jake Gatewood has had a tough couple of games at 1B, and added a rough game tonight at the plate as well. Teams are starting to figure out Lucas Erceg a little bit as well, he's only hitting .231 over his last 10.

Wisconsin Recap

Unless you like bad defense there isn't much to see here.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Offense Struggles In 3-1 Loss

Sky Sox produce just four hits in loss in Omaha.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Box Score

The Colorado Springs Sky Sox offense scored first, but could muster little after that as they fell to the Omaha Storm Chasers 3-1 on Monday night at Werner Park.

The game got off to a tough start for the Sky Sox. In the first inning, a pitch from Omaha starter Jake Junis (1-0, 1.29) came up high and hit Sky Sox first baseman Garrett Cooper. After being looked at by the Sky Sox trainer, Cooper walked off the field under his own power. Brandon Macias pinch-ran for Cooper and remained in the game.

Leading off the third inning, Yadiel Rivera crushed the first pitch he saw from Junis over the left field wall for a solo home run, his second of the season, to give the Sky Sox a 1-0 lead.

In the bottom half, the Storm Chasers got even against Sky Sox starter Josh Hader (0-4, 5.40). With runners on second and third with one out, Reymond Fuentes hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score Dusty Coleman to tie the game at one.

Ramon Torres led off the fifth with a double against Hader. After moving to third on a sacrifice bunt, Torres came home to score on a sacrifice fly from White Merrifield to give Omaha a 2-1 lead after five.

With two outs in the sixth, Lewis Brinson singled to center to extend his Sky Sox hitting streak to seven games since joining the club following his trade from the Texas Rangers. Unfortunately for the Sky Sox, Brinson was caught stealing to end the inning one batter later.

Omaha added another run in the sixth off Hader as Hunter Dozier doubled off the left field wall to score Jorge Bonifacio and extend the Storm Chasers lead to 3-1. Later in the inning, Tim Dillard came out of the Sky Sox bullpen with one out and runners on base and retired the only two batters he faced to end the inning.

Hader finished his start with three earned runs against on four hits while walking four and striking out six in five and one third innings pitched. He suffered his fourth loss of the season.

In the seventh, Ben Rowen entered for the Sky Sox and pitched a scoreless inning in his Sky Sox debut to keep his new team within a pair of runs. Austin Ross came out of the bullpen in the eighth and did the same to keep the Omaha lead at 3-1 going to the ninth inning.

For Omaha, Junis pitched seven innings, and relievers Kevin McCarthy and Malcolm Culver came on to pitch the final two innings to finish the victory. Junis earned his first win of the season and Culver earned his fifth save of the year in the win.

In game three of the series on Tuesday night, Hiram Burgos (5-9, 5.16) is scheduled to start for the Sky Sox against Christian Binford (2-9, 5.79) First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. MDT at Werner Park.

Colorado Springs Game Log

The Sky Sox were caught all three times they tried stealing bases on Monday.

Hader threw 96 pitches in only 5.1 innings and we can't blame the Colorado air since the game was in Omaha. In all, Hader gave up three runs while walking four and surrendering four hits.

Lewis Brinson has a hit in every game since coming to the Sky Sox. He is hitting .448. He has a 10 game hitting streak dating back to his time in AA with the Rangers.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Grand Junction 8, Helena 4

Brewers Defense Struggles in 8-4 Loss

Rockies Take Opener After Fast Start

By Craig Durham / Helena Brewers

Helena Box Score

Brewers put 17 runners on, so four-run output is actually weak...

Helena Game Log

Thanks to "And That" for all the work last night (it's my icon, but all his work), I'm actually still pretty much unavailable until later today ao it's much appreciated. Good day, everyone.

Archived