Brewer Fanatic

Mark Cuban in bid to purchase the Cubbies

7600simd

Cuban actually wants to waste money on the Cubs.

I've thought about this, and personally I would love to see an outspoken owner in baseball, especially someone as passionate about the team as Mark Cuban. At least someone to speak out against Bud ever once in awhile. Yeah, he can be obnoxious, but at least you know he cares. And, he will spend money out the wazoo.

If he were to become owner, I think the Brewers would have a whole lot of trouble on their hands. He's the type of guy that could spend like Steinbrenner and just buy an insaine amount of guys. But on the flip side, it would be fun to see him and boo him at MP when he's sitting behind home plate.

I'm of the opinion that what's good for the division is good for the Brewers, and what's good for baseball is good for the Brewers.

Cuban would bring a ton of attention to the NL Central, and would raise the bar a bit. Frankly, if we're going to be in this to win championships, we're going to need to beat the best.

Bring it on.

Don't the rest of the owners have to ok the sale?

I believe that this is the case which is why I don't believe that Cuban will become an owner of an MLB team. The way he berates the refs in the NBA will hurt his case along with the fact that there will be no shortage of groups lining up to buy the Cubs.

I also don't believe that if he were to become owner, come in and start spending huge dollars that it would be good for the Brewers. Between the Cubs and the 'Stros, maybe St. Louis, the NL Central would start to resemble the AL East with a couple of teams spending heads and shoulders above the others. Granted, the Brewers have much more competent management than certain AL East bottom feeders but still.

I look at it this way, if I am a Cubs fan, I love the idea of Cuban becoming the Cubs' owner. As a Brewer fan, I shutter at the thought.

With the revenue the Cubs are able to generate already, it's really only a matter of time before a competent owner comes along and installs competent management to make them a contender. Of course, the "only a matter of time" has been going on since about the end of WWII, so maybe it will never happen. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I won't feel more relieved if Cuban doesn't become the owner, because anyone with a brain should be able to run the Cubs better than they have been. I'm secretly pulling for Daniel Snyder - that guy knows the importance of building through the draft and doesn't spend lavishly on aging players.

Gruber Lawffices

Cuban would bring a ton of attention to the NL Central, and would raise the bar a bit. Frankly, if we're going to be in this to win championships, we're going to need to beat the best.

There's a huge difference between having to beat the best over 7 games and 162 games.

In one sense I don't fear a Cuban ownership, although I'm highly skeptical it would ever happen. The Cubs have always played with HUGE monkey on their back and create pressure for management and players alike. It's a fairly unforgiving atmosphere. I see Cuban adding to that and creating an even worse atmosphere. If he is like Steinbrenner, I'd welcome that if he creates a this year's Yankees atmosphere.

Hendry seems like a terrible, terrible GM this year. But he didn't always seem that way. He's actually made some good trades. But I think the pressure to show you can do it, makes you make mistakes (Jacque Jones, Soriano in 3 years, etc.).

I think they'd generally be a better team since mistakes would be addressed more quickly, but I wouldn't consider them a shoe-in or anything.

Just my $.02.

If this were to happen then I have to believe that it will really hurt the National League as a whole.

Cuban has unlimited funds and could turn the Cubs into the next Yankee's.

To me, this is very scary. How do you compete with a man that that can virtually out bid you on every player that you and he are both interested in.

He has already let it be known that if he is successful in the purchase of the Cubs the first player he wants is A-rod. What next Santana and so on.

While MLB does have to approve the sale of the Cubs, my understanding is that the sale is being handled by the Tribune Co., which, as a publicly owned corporation, has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders to take the highest price possible. I would suspect that Cuban may be able to make the highest bid and it seems like MLB would have a hard time denying him at that point unless they have better reasons than that he criticizes referees.

I shudder at what Cuban would do for the Cubs. The Mavs went from a laughingstock to a top 5 franchise under him.

However, I cannot imagine Bud choosing a group led by him, unless they were the highest bidder by hundreds of millions...he is not the quiet type, to say the least..

I didn't mean that the fact that he is critical of the NBA refs is the only reason to not want to sell to him. I think the owners will have a bigger problem with a guy who is free to spend as much as he pleases which, in turn, will make it harder for them to bid on free agents. That isn't to say another owner wouldn't do the same but there is no reason to believe that Cuban wouldn't.

But still, the Cubs getting competent management and ownership is one of my biggest fears.

I don't know how anyone can not respect what Cuban does as an owner... he loves the fans, and the players.

It would be some high comedy to see him fight the urge to run onto the field and argue with an ump though.

one of the biggest reasons for the success of the mavs is not the ridiculous spending of mark cuban. It's the fact that he went out and hired almost twice the amount of assistant coaches as his competition. and he hired smart coaches and advisors who actually know what they are doing. I would think he would take the same approach to the Cubs. Cuban surrounds himself with intelligent people. he might have the final say, but he is provided a lot of valuable insight before speaking.

i could see cuban going out and stealing the best GM and coaches in the business. You should realize cuban would probably install the best and greatest world scouting system.

if the brewers have any hopes of getting to the world Series, they had better do so before Cuban buys the cubs. In the past , cubs owners could care less about the cub's actual performance on the field. With Cuban, I have to believe that the profits will continue to sore, and that he will turn those profits into wins on the field.

ESPN was asking what team besides the Yankees would be able to afford paying AROD $30 million. Cuban would find a way.

Archived