Brewer Fanatic

Guerra headed to DL, Peralta to be recalled for start on Tuesday; Goforth optioned, Scahill recalled

markedman5

Anybody think Peralta is so scared for his career that he pitches halfway decent? Or is he off your radar completely?

He'll be facing the braves, so yeah I think it will be a decent start for him.

Braves scored 19 runs the last 2 days against Cardinals. I wouldn't bet on it being a decent start.

I think this is the organization giving Peralta a last shot at the rotation.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Perhaps. But considering he's due arbitration this winter, I thought that his time had passed. Nothing he's done at AAA indicates he'll turn back into the 17 game winner any time soon and with 3 other options at AAA, Suter, Wilkerson, and Hader, it seems like a waste. How many starts does he get? One, three, the rest of the year?

While we're at it, Nelson needs to be demoted. He seems like a wreck. His fastball which used to sit at 95-96, is now a below average 92, with command that comes and goes. Worse, he's turned into Garza with inability to throw the ball to the bases. Without a doubt, Nelson's collapse since the first of June has been nothing more than amazing and is the biggest disappointment of the season and the pitching coach seems helpless to get him back on track.

I'm going to go with the boring option and he is the guy picked because he has already burned an option and on the 40man roster. Only other real option was Suter, but he is not on the 40 man roster. Sjnce Guerra isn't said to be out for long(yet putting Suter on the 40 man and wasting an option would be wasteful.

Anybody think Peralta is so scared for his career that he pitches halfway decent? Or is he off your radar completely?

He'll be facing the braves, so yeah I think it will be a decent start for him.

Braves scored 19 runs the last 2 days against Cardinals. I wouldn't bet on it being a decent start.

Nothing's ever a certainty, but Atlanta has a firm grasp on last place in MLB in HR, OPS, and runs scored.

Hopefully this is "sink or swim" as a starter. If he can't cut it, they need to move him to the bullpen quickly to see if he could have any value to the team in future years. I can't see them paying him arby salary to sit in AA "working things out" next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm going to go with the boring option and he is the guy picked because he has already burned an option and on the 40man roster. Only other real option was Suter, but he is not on the 40 man roster. Sjnce Guerra isn't said to be out for long(yet putting Suter on the 40 man and wasting an option would be wasteful.

Aaron Wilkerson is 27 and was carrying a 2.44 ERA at sea level for Boston when he as acquired for Hill. Suter turns 27 in 3 weeks. Each would have options until they are 30. How is burning an option even an issue?

Peralta's opportunity as a major league starter came and went. I'm all for bringing him up and using him out of the pen to see if there's value there. He can't be worse than Blazek.

I don't think being "scared" is going to make him pitch well. He might do a great job, but it won't because of fear.

In 41 IP at AAA he has given up 55 hits and 31 runs. That is really hard to do. I think it is time to try the bullpen for him.

To be fair, he was decent in starts that weren't in Colorado Springs but yeah, he just doesn't have the threat of a third pitch to be a starter. He might do okay against the Braves because their offense is horrible but against a team with a decent lineup, don't see it happening.

Thought Peralta was closer to being the second pitcher in opening day rotation to pitch himself down to AA.

Hope we get to see Suter at some point. Another dominant start yesterday, plus a 6'5" lefty from Harvard is certain to be an interesting watch.

Peralta, Jungmann, Suter, Wilkerson, Guerra, and Anderson all serve the same purpose. Provide depth in the rotation and eat up innings over the next couple years. That's it. Hader should be up next year, then hopefully two more starters in 2018. But until then, they will need to get by with quantity over quality. So it's well worth it to see if Peralta can become even a serviceable starter. Suter will get his chance, but he's not any kind of long term answer at his age anyhow.

In 41 IP at AAA he has given up 55 hits and 31 runs. That is really hard to do. I think it is time to try the bullpen for him.

To be fair, he was decent in starts that weren't in Colorado Springs but yeah, he just doesn't have the threat of a third pitch to be a starter. He might do okay against the Braves because their offense is horrible but against a team with a decent lineup, don't see it happening.

He doesn't have a first or second pitch either which he can consistently command.

Davis throws just a fastball and change the vast majority of time as starter, yet he's productive and his fastball only sits around 90, while Peralta throws his a lot harder. Obviously it's more ideal for any starter to have 3-4 pitches he can consistently use, but if a starter has at least two reliable pitches he can count on, that guy can be reasonably productive.

Peralta though can't consistently command his fastball or slider, so even as he can throw 95-96 pretty much all game long, he can't miss bats and that's why he gets the around fewest amount of strikeouts in the league for a guy who throws that hard. Velocity is a nice thing to have for a pitcher, but big league hitters see 95 all of the time, so if a pitcher gets behind in the count a lot and/or leaves that 95mph fastball over the middle of the plate, hitters are going to square up on that pitch.

Count me in the group that wants to see Peralta in the pen. If his mindset is to get through an inning or two at the most, he may approach things differently. Some guys don't do as well as they pace for a starter's outing and have a niche functioning in shorter bursts. His Brewer career is on life support.

Knowing the Brewers luck I'm guessing Guerra is done for the year, has TJ over the winter, and never throws another pitch for the Brewers.

I don't know. When I see a 31 year old with his history just find if all of a sudden I'm very skeptical. Whatever we got from him this year was as amazing as it was sketchy. I wish we would have traded him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Guerra's one of those guys that didn't really build up a ton of trade value simply for the reasons people here wanted him traded (31, out of nowhere, etc. etc.). I'm guessing a few teams kicked the tires but never really offered anything. Stearns probably figured if he could get a full season out of Guerra that his value would be better in the offseason. All speculation on my part of course.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Guerra's one of those guys that didn't really build up a ton of trade value simply for the reasons people here wanted him traded (31, out of nowhere, etc. etc.). I'm guessing a few teams kicked the tires but never really offered anything. Stearns probably figured if he could get a full season out of Guerra that his value would be better in the offseason. All speculation on my part of course.

I agree. Sure it would've been great to trade him for a big haul, but you could say the same about a lot of players. Other teams see the same things we see, and I can't imagine anyone was going to give up too much for a journeyman pitcher having a good season in his early 30's. If he can put together another good season next year, then that could be a different story. Until then, I hope the injury isn't serious, and Guerra comes back and continues to pitch well for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived