Brewer Fanatic

Luc says goodbye

markedman5
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What need?

Did you need to respond?

No one ever "needs" to respond on a message board. I was curious what "need" you felt he satisfied with the full page ad, when he clearly doesn't have to satisfy any needs in Milwaukee, now that he's not a Brewer.

What need?

Did you need to respond?

No one ever "needs" to respond on a message board. I was curious what "need" you felt he satisfied with the full page ad, when he clearly doesn't have to satisfy any needs in Milwaukee, now that he's not a Brewer.

I don't believe that either. He wants to be loved in MKE. This again was for himself.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

While I appreciated Lucroy's frank response in Haudricourt's article that was linked earlier, the thing that gets lost in the situation was the difference in response by Ryan Braun and the leadership qualities displayed by him versus Lucroy in the situation. Braun essentially calling Lucroy out and saying that is not how we are going to do things during this rebuild gave me a greater appreciation for Braun's commitment to Milwaukee versus Lucroy wanting out. Braun did have a $100 million contract in hand already and Lucroy supposedly had approached the Brewers about an extension and that may have played into the comments. However, Braun's willingness to fight through the rebuild and mentor younger players sure shed some light on the differences between the two.

I was just going to mention the contract extension as I didn't think it was mentioned. From what we were told he tried for an extension here and the team wasn't interested. I'm sure he'd have been fine being here for a rebuild if he had 60mil in the bank. But he wouldn't want to play in it for next to nothing when he could be elsewhere working out an extension with the new team (which I'm sure is happening now), perfectly understandable.

While I appreciated Lucroy's frank response in Haudricourt's article that was linked earlier, the thing that gets lost in the situation was the difference in response by Ryan Braun and the leadership qualities displayed by him versus Lucroy in the situation. Braun essentially calling Lucroy out and saying that is not how we are going to do things during this rebuild gave me a greater appreciation for Braun's commitment to Milwaukee versus Lucroy wanting out. Braun did have a $100 million contract in hand already and Lucroy supposedly had approached the Brewers about an extension and that may have played into the comments. However, Braun's willingness to fight through the rebuild and mentor younger players sure shed some light on the differences between the two.

Braun can't ask to be traded because no one wants him at his contract. Braun also had signed a huge contract unlike lucroy. Braun has also been suspended for a bad decision which lead him to be very hard to move and saying he didn't want to be a part of the rebuild would be terrible pr move.

Braun should be committed to Milwaukee after what he put the franchise through and the contract the team gave him. The team has been very committed to him. I love Braun but it is hard for me to compare the two

Moving to a team that was going to put him at 1B and DH would be idiotic, he made the right choice here for his future career.

I still don't believe that missing out on a half season of catching would hurt his value at all. If anything it should help him having less wear and tare having not just caught 140+ games, his offensive numbers would go up since he's playing more often, he adds "versatility" to his resume, and he would still be a top flight catcher.

Moving to a team that was going to put him at 1B and DH would be idiotic, he made the right choice here for his future career.

I still don't believe that missing out on a half season of catching would hurt his value at all. If anything it should help him having less wear and tare having not just caught 140+ games, his offensive numbers would go up since he's playing more often, he adds "versatility" to his resume, and he would still be a top flight catcher.

I've tried to explain that to people too who repeated the "wouldn't guarantee him a starting spot". Cmon, he's the second best C in the world. Gomes isn't good. It's just that Gomes is under contract and Napoli isn't so a lot of PT could have been at 1B/DH, he'd be starting though.

I think the biggest issue is that with Gomes contract they might not have interest in signing him long term. So he'd be playing out until next offseason with no extension and/or deal with getting traded again in the offseason or at the next deadline. He likely wanted to get somewhere where he'd be for several years and get his extension locked in asap to not risk injury.

Archived