Brewer Fanatic

Luc says goodbye

markedman5

Class act as always. it fits his needs.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You're embarrassing yourself with that comment.

Lol give me a break. Naw. He's made it clear he's just like 99% of the pro athletes. He wants his. It's okay. But I'm tired of pretending he was different. I wish he and Jeffress luck in Texas.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lucroy made one ill-advised but incredibly truthful and understandable comment. I have no idea why he gets the angst he does from some here. He played gard for the team and played under an incredibly reasonable contract. He said he wanted to win and didn't want to be on a rebuilding team for the next two years. He shouldn't have said that out loud but it is was true and any competitor would want to play for a winner

What need?

It fits his need for a truly competitive team, and a secure future to a position he desires, and possibly a team to give him that first big payday. I'm not sure the Brewers could give any of the three, though I remain hopeful about the 1st.

It fits his need for a truly competitive team, and a secure future to a position he desires, and possibly a team to give him that first big payday. I'm not sure the Brewers could give any of the three, though I remain hopeful about the 1st.

A desire for those things makes him a bad person, or not a class act? I don't understand.

Lucroy made a statement during the offseason because he is interested in his own future. After that he did everything a team would want out of a starting catcher, as far as I saw. Again, I just don't understand how anything he did makes him less than a class act.

As far as the newspaper ad, he certainly gained nothing but good will from paying for that. It was a nice gesture from him and, as someone who ponies up money to watch MLB games, I appreciate that. Maybe he's a big jerk and is just really good at putting on a face when it suits him, but I don't believe that right now.

I think the fact that he twice said he wanted to play for a winner and then blocks a trade to a winner because he won't be the starter at the position he wants to play (not even that he wouldn't play at all) next year rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. And then there's the whole suitcase thing he blamed on his wife that many feel was a lie. Also, the whole full page ad thanking a city is way overdone already.

I would have rejected the trade, too.

I read a tweet that I whole-heartedly agreed with. Something like, "Fans want players to be given more rights and then get upset when they exercise those rights."

Also, the whole full page ad thanking a city is way overdone already.

Yea, it's probably overdone, but if he didn't do it lots of people would point that out. You really can't win if you're Luc. Nothing he can do or say at this point to change anyone's mind about him.

I think the fact that he twice said he wanted to play for a winner and then blocks a trade to a winner because he won't be the starter at the position he wants to play (not even that he wouldn't play at all) next year rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. And then there's the whole suitcase thing he blamed on his wife that many feel was a lie. Also, the whole full page ad thanking a city is way overdone already.

He is an elite catcher, but he would probably just be an above average 1b or DH...potentially costing him money as well. There are a lot of pieces he had to think about. He had a no trade clause and used it. I wont hold it against him.

He said some things before the season but that seemed to be more of a one off than his typically personality.

Overdone? What else is he supposed to do? Buy everybody in town a burger? As for "suiting his needs," RoCo asks the obviously right question: How does taking out the ad suit Lucroy's needs?

Lucroy has always been a frank guy. I learned this when he ripped Tony LaRussa as a rookie, and I've valued his candor ever since. Nothing he said about wanting to play for a winner was insulting or inflammatory. He said exactly what we all would have assumed he was thinking if he hadn't said it, and he said it straightforwardly. I can't figure out why anyone has a problem with that, but obviously we've had that discussion and none of us are going to change each other's minds at this point.

He explained the Cleveland thing very well in the essay he published last week -- ESPN I think? He signed a bad contract and honored it, but he has every right and a more than ordinary motivation to set himself up as well as possible for his next contract. He needs to come out of next season as a catcher, and a team on his no-trade list wouldn't promise him they'd do that. How exactly does his exercising his contractual right reflect badly on him? It's hard to say he contradicted his "want to play for a winner" statement when he and his agent knew he would almost certainly get traded to another contender. But even if he cared a little bit more about signing a good contract after 2017 than about playing for a contender now, so what?

Everybody has the right to say what they want, but IMHO the guy's little farewell gesture is sort of a ridiculous context in which to keep up the griping about him.

Yea, it's probably overdone, but if he didn't do it lots of people would point that out. You really can't win if you're Luc. Nothing he can do or say at this point to change anyone's mind about him.

I guess the main thing is that some Brewers fans will make sure to mention his turning down the trade every time he is discussed for the next 30 or 40 years. Sort of like Paul Molitor's admitted cocaine use or how Hank Aaron took a greenie that one time.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fans shrug their shoulders and move on when players/coaches give cliched bs non-answer. Fans get mad when guys give real honest forthright answers. Gee, I wonder why guys avoid saying anything, all the media really wants to do is spin it into controversy for clicks.

I guess the main thing is that some Brewers fans will make sure to mention his turning down the trade every time he is discussed for the next 30 or 40 years.

Yes, when Brinson and Ortiz are All-Stars we'll all mention how great it was that he turned down the Cleveland trade.

Fans shrug their shoulders and move on when players/coaches give cliched bs non-answer. Fans get mad when guys give real honest forthright answers. Gee, I wonder why guys avoid saying anything, all the media really wants to do is spin it into controversy for clicks.

There's honest and then there's burying your team and teammates. Lucroy walked that line very closely. I think the fact that Braun more or less called him out in an interview over those comments show what his teammates thought about it.

I personally don't care if Lucroy gave us the finger on the way out or bought the whole city of Milwaukee season tickets. Him being traded was better for the organization then him sticking around till free agency or signing an extension so I'm glad he was traded.

Lucroy is not a guy you are gonna look back on and say "we let one slip away" so on one hand, no big deal.

On the other hand, I agree he walked a very fine line, and not very well.

-Don't ever say it's not about the money. It makes you an immediate liar.

-Don't ever say it's best if you are traded. It makes you a douchebag

-No one wants to play for a losing team, so don't say it as if it's just you. A million players better than you have done it.

-No one wants to re-build, remember when you sucked ?

Spin it however you want, he aired dirty laundry and shouldn't have. For that reason alone, I resent him getting his way to a winner via trade.

If you are worried about winning and maximizing yourself, sign a one year deal. You wanted security and signed a multi year deal. Keep your mouth shut.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/jonathan-lucroy-thinks-trade-would-be-best-for-him-and-brewers-b99654302z1-365824811.html

What need?

Did you need to respond? I had a comment towards Lucroy and his sincerity towards the fans. It's pretty clear now that he does things to fit his needs and that's what he cares about. That's okay, there's more of those guys in pro sports than the opposite. I'm sure he's a fine guy but he never needed to say the things he did in the offseason. Think it? Sure. Go ahead. But what good does it do anyone in saying it other than to put down the cast around you. I'm a guy that if you're on my team I want you to want to go to battle with the guys on the team. Not talk about wanting to be somewhere else so that your personal needs are met in trying to win a World Series (and probably more so just to get paid). Like I said I wish him all the best and he was a great player for us. I just won't be fooled into thinking that he's a 1%'er by an article in a newspaper.

For that reason alone, I resent him getting his way to a winner via trade.

If you are worried about winning and maximizing yourself, sign a one year deal. You wanted security and signed a multi year deal. Keep your mouth shut.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don't get this part. Why do you resent him getting his way? You do realize the Brewers wanted to trade him just as much as he wanted to be traded? Yet nobody is upset that the Brewers got their way. If Lucroy never said anything, I suppose everyone would be upset with the Brewers for trading him.

I mention all this because you seem to imply Lucroy somehow forced the Brewers into trading him. Apologies up front if that's not what you meant.

For that reason alone, I resent him getting his way to a winner via trade.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don't get this part. Why do you resent him getting his way? You do realize the Brewers wanted to trade him just as much as he wanted to be traded? Yet nobody is upset that the Brewers got their way. If Lucroy never said anything, I suppose everyone would be upset with the Brewers for trading him.

I mention all this because you seem to imply Lucroy somehow forced the Brewers into trading him. Apologies up front if that's not what you meant.

As I said, he aired dirty laundry, he lied, he acted like a douche, and put himself above the current players and team he signed a contract to play for.

He didn't force his way out, and would have been traded regardless, but thats no reason to act like a spoiled child. With all his talk about wanting to play for a winner when a million guys ten times better than him played for medicracy their whole career, I wish he would have ended up on a last place team.

Overdone? What else is he supposed to do? Buy everybody in town a burger? As for "suiting his needs," RoCo asks the obviously right question: How does taking out the ad suit Lucroy's needs?

Lucroy has always been a frank guy. I learned this when he ripped Tony LaRussa as a rookie, and I've valued his candor ever since. Nothing he said about wanting to play for a winner was insulting or inflammatory. He said exactly what we all would have assumed he was thinking if he hadn't said it, and he said it straightforwardly. I can't figure out why anyone has a problem with that, but obviously we've had that discussion and none of us are going to change each other's minds at this point.

He explained the Cleveland thing very well in the essay he published last week -- ESPN I think? He signed a bad contract and honored it, but he has every right and a more than ordinary motivation to set himself up as well as possible for his next contract. He needs to come out of next season as a catcher, and a team on his no-trade list wouldn't promise him they'd do that. How exactly does his exercising his contractual right reflect badly on him? It's hard to say he contradicted his "want to play for a winner" statement when he and his agent knew he would almost certainly get traded to another contender. But even if he cared a little bit more about signing a good contract after 2017 than about playing for a contender now, so what?

Everybody has the right to say what they want, but IMHO the guy's little farewell gesture is sort of a ridiculous context in which to keep up the griping about him.

I think you've covered exactly how I feel about the situation. Thanks for a good post.

What would satisfy you (or anybody)? Should Luc take the month of November to personally come to Wisconsin for a "Thank You Wisconsin" party? Should he be given a list of every season ticket holder from 2010 until present so he can personally call them? Should he do a Winter Caravan around the state to thank everybody?

The thing is, there will be no pleasing everybody so he did something that a whole lot of people would see. I'm guessing this wasn't some full-page ad stuff among the classifieds so it was clearly visible. This is better than him doing nothing.

And really, "it's way overdone already?" So what?!

edit: heh, I didn't see that some other people had beaten me to the punch!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wow the bitterness toward Luc here is ridiculous. The guy shouldn't have said what he did in the interview but even though he wasn't happy to be part of a rebus it never affected his play on the field. It is so weird to me this fan base has forgiven braun but are bitter with lucroy. Every fan here has said this team needs to rebuild and the players knew that. For s competitor that isn't exciting. Yet he honored his contract and played well. He gave the Brewers way more value than the contract he signed.

Also if people here were with a company that was struggling would it be enticing to you to go to a different company that was doing well? I am guessing the answer is yes.

And thank you to everyone who shot down the "it is overdone" insanity about the full page add.

What would satisfy you (or anybody)? Should Luc take the month of November to personally come to Wisconsin for a "Thank You Wisconsin" party? Should he be given a list of every season ticket holder from 2010 until present so he can personally call them? Should he do a Winter Caravan around the state to thank everybody?

The thing is, there will be no pleasing everybody so he did something that a whole lot of people would see. I'm guessing this wasn't some full-page ad stuff among the classifieds so it was clearly visible. This is better than him doing nothing.

And really, "it's way overdone already?" So what?!

edit: heh, I didn't see that some other people had beaten me to the punch!

Nothing. I really don't give a crap about his feelings or how much he supposedly enjoyed playing here. It's a business on all ends and I'm fine with that. Lucroy served his purpose for the Brewers in that he played well for a few years and was traded to help the future of the club.

Archived