Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 8/7

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Orem 9, Helena 4

Helena Box Score

Demi in the leadoff spot to get him going? Not a bad idea...

Helena Game Log

Other than this three-batter sequence late, not much too hang your hat on --

Helena Top of the 7th

Pitching Change: Ariel Ovando replaces Tyler Warmoth.

Demi Orimoloye pops out to shortstop Juan Moreno.

Joantgel Segovia doubles (6) on a ground ball to left fielder Jahmai Jones.

Weston Wilson triples (4) on a fly ball to right fielder Zach Gibbons. Joantgel Segovia scores.

Ronnie Gideon homers (9) on a fly ball to left center field. Weston Wilson scores.

Nathan Rodriguez grounds out, shortstop Juan Moreno to first baseman Brennan Morgan.

Gilbert Lara walks.

Caleb Whalen pops out to catcher Ryan Scott in foul territory.

Injury here?

Helena Top of the 4th

Gilbert Lara flies out to right fielder Zach Gibbons.

Yerald Martinez singles on a line drive to left fielder Jahmai Jones.

With Cooper Hummel batting, passed ball by Ryan Scott, Yerald Martinez to 2nd.

Cooper Hummel walks.

Franly Mallen pops out to second baseman Keith Grieshaber.

Demi Orimoloye singles on a line drive to center fielder L. J. Kalawaia. Yerald Martinez scores. Cooper Hummel to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Tyler Warmoth replaces Travis Herrin.

Joantgel Segovia flies out to left fielder Jahmai Jones.

Orem Bottom of the 4th

Defensive Substitution: Caleb Whalen replaces right fielder Yerald Martinez, batting 7th, playing right field.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Brewers 6, Arizona Dodgers 1

Maryvale Box Score

The A-Crew only has 14 HR's in 38 games (actually tied for 5th in the 14-team league), so the fact two game back-to-back in the 9th to break open a close game is pretty unique, had to check to make sure neither was inside-the-park --

AZL Brewers Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Osiris Ramirez replaces Jairo Pacheco.

Zach Clark doubles (3) on a fly ball to left fielder Andres Ayon.

Johel Atencio out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Osiris Ramirez to first baseman Samuel Ortiz. Zach Clark to 3rd.

Julio Mendez doubles (5) on a fly ball to right fielder Romer Cuadrado. Zach Clark scores.

Ignacio Otano grounds out, third baseman Jefrey Souffront to first baseman Samuel Ortiz.

Jose Gomez homers (2) on a fly ball to left field. Julio Mendez scores.

Trey York homers (1) on a fly ball to left field.

Mario Feliciano flies out to left fielder Andres Ayon.

Maryvale Game Log

Fine mound work here, and 24th round Connecticut HS RHP Michael Gonzalez, barely 18, has found his stride.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Suter rides ground game in Sky Sox shutout

Brewers southpaw extends August scoreless streak to 14 2/3 innings

By Alex Kraft / MiLB.com

The Omaha Storm Chasers wouldn't let Brent Suter strike them out, so he used his ground game to turn in a second straight scoreless outing.

The Brewers left-hander gave up four hits and struck out one over a season-high 7 2/3 innings on Sunday as Triple-A Colorado Springs blanked Omaha, 3-0, at Werner Park.

Suter (6-5) induced 11 groundouts without issuing a walk. After registering his lone punchout against third-ranked Royals prospect Jorge Bonifacio in the fourth inning, the Harvard product said his contact-oriented approach wasn't part of the game plan.

"I don't mind strikeouts, but there were a lot of one-pitch and two-pitch outs where they would put the ball in play early and I didn't even get to a two-strike count to have the opportunity to get a strikeout," Suter said. "Fortunately, those quick balls in play were outs a lot of the time."

After tossing a perfect first, Suter surrendered back-to-back singles to No. 2 Royals prospect Hunter Dozier and Balbino Fuenmayor to begin the second. The Storm Chasers didn't produce another baserunner for six innings as the 26-year-old set down 18 straight batters.

"The changeup was a go-to pitch today in terms of inducing weak contact," Suter said. "I remember telling our catcher [Andrew Susac] in the first inning or two that even though I hadn't thrown a quality one yet it was feeling really good out of my hand, so let's keep going to it."

Orlando Calixte broke up Suter's perfect stretch by beating out an infield single with one out in the eighth. The Chicago native got Dusty Coleman to pop out to second, but Ramon Torres rolled a single up the middle that prompted Sky Sox manager Rick Sweet to go to his bullpen.

"Torres has always seen me pretty well," Suter said. "We went fastball in and then I missed fastball away. He had been showing that he could get to that outside pitch in his earlier at-bats, so I tried to go back in and I don't think I got it in enough."

Suter was replaced by Damien Magnifico after throwing 55 of 77 pitches for strikes. The 2012 31st-round pick improved to 2-0 in August, a month in which he's allowed 10 hits and struck out seven without issuing a walk over 14 2/3 frames to take over third place in the Pacific Coast League with a 3.07 ERA.

"I think I'm just making pitches when I have to," Suter said. "They've been getting hits off me. I had a jam in the Oklahoma City game that I had to get out of and I had a jam in the second inning [on Sunday]. It hasn't been a breeze by any means, but I'm just making pitches when I have to."

Magnifico fanned two over 1 1/3 perfect innings to pick up his 15th save.

Sky Sox designated hitter Josmil Pinto smashed a solo homer in the ninth, while second-ranked Brewers prospect Lewis Brinson doubled to run his Triple-A hitting streak to six games.

Storm Chasers starter Mike Minor (0-3) gave up a run on three hits and three walks while striking out four over 4 1/3 innings.

Final: Dunedin 2, Brevard County 1

Late run gives Dunedin sweep

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

The teams combined for 22 hits (12 for Dunedin, 10 for Brevard County), but clutch hits were few and far between as only 3 runners crossed home plate.

Among Manatees batters the top performers included George Iskenderian (2-for-4) who was tagged out at the plate in the 6th inning as well Fidel Pena (2-for-4), Dustin Houle (2-for-4), and Blake Allemand (3-for-4). The only extra base hit was a double from Elvis Rubio (1-for-3, 2B, BB).

As noted in the game story Jon Perrin managed to stay in the game after being hit off the ankle with a come-backer. Perrin lasted 6.0 innings giving up 8 hits, 1 run, 0 walks and striking out 1 batter. Perrin ranks 8th among ERA leaders in the Florida State League. Over his 91.2 innings in the FSL he has a 2.65 ERA.

Brevard County Game Log

In what appeared to be a promising inning including three hits the Manatees were only able to knock in one run.

Brevard County Bottom of the 6th

• George Iskenderian singles on a ground ball to shortstop Gunnar Heidt.
    Elvis Rubio doubles (10) on a line drive to left fielder D. J. Davis. George Iskenderian to 3rd.
    David Denson reaches on a fielder's choice out, second baseman Jorge Flores to catcher Danny Jansen. George Iskenderian out at home. Elvis Rubio to 3rd.
    Blake Allemand singles on a line drive to center fielder Anthony Alford. Elvis Rubio scores. David Denson to 2nd.
    Jose Cuas called out on strikes.
    Dustin Houle lines out to left fielder D. J. Davis

The wait for recently acquired RHP Phil Bickford's debut is over as he is scheduled to take the mound on Monday. The game versus Lakeland begins at 3:00pm CT.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Been saying it since the Brewers misplaced him to start year, get Coulter to Biloxi & let his bat play! BC is a graveyard for offensive players like him. Biloxi will give off a real look at what we have in him.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Been saying it since the Brewers misplaced him to start year, get Coulter to Biloxi & let his bat play! BC is a graveyard for offensive players like him. Biloxi will give of a real look at what we have in him.

I have to agree, based on the very small sample size.

Is that all it was with Coulter? A bad hitting environment at BC?

Weird he could go to a pretty major jump in skill and have this much success after being a guy you'd give up on prior to this.

This gives me some hope for Ray if they move him to AA next year.

50/50 mix I think for Coulter of hitting environment and mental. Like pitchers in Colorado Springs....failure for hitters adds up in BC. Not to mention being held back probably didn't sit well with him either and hurt confidence. He was one of my breakout picks this season when I thought his bat was going to be in Biloxi...I was pretty upset when he was held back and figured his stock would free fall and he'd struggle.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived