Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 8/6 - RHP Luis Ortiz Debuts with Biloxi

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Saturday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Aaron Wilkerson at home vs. Nashville (Athletics), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Luis Ortiz at home vs. Pensacola (Reds), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:10 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: LHP Kodi Medeiros and RHP Cody Ponce in a doubleheader at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 4:05 PM gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Sorry, no audio is available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: LHP Jake Drossner at home vs. Kane County (Diamondbacks), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Nash Walters at Orem (Angels), 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the young Dodgers, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Rockies, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
David Stearns is in Appleton and was interviewed by Chris on the pregame. They discussed a few players from the Timber Rattlers among other things. Chris said it would be included in his postgame report so check it out when The Crew links it later.

David Stearns is in Appleton and was interviewed by Chris on the pregame. They discussed a few players from the Timber Rattlers among other things. Chris said it would be included in his postgame report so check it out when The Crew links it later.

That's interesting because the most insightful thing he mentioned with the TV crew was how impressed he was with the playing surface.

As I'm typing this Trent Clark who has struggled in CF the last 2 days makes a tremendous diving catch.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Anyone know why Ortiz only went 3?

Ortiz throwing about 50 pitches in 3 innings is probably the culprit here. Plus it is late in the minor league season and Ortiz is probably getting close to his pitch and innings limit for the year.

Anyone know why Ortiz only went 3?

I believe he had just returned from the DL before we traded for him. He went just 2 innings in his last AA start for Frisco (which I believe was his first game back from the DL). My guess is they are just being cautious with him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rain, Sounds Silence Sky Sox 5-2

Sky Sox fall in finale as rain shortens game.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Box Score

Sky Sox starting pitcher Aaron Wilkerson was roughed up on Saturday night in Colorado Springs in a game shortened by rain. Wilkerson gave up five runs on 12 hits in 5.2 IP. He didn’t walk anyone, but the 12 hits did the damage. The game was called due to rain in the bottom of the sixth with the Nashville Sounds winning 5-2.

Offensively, the Sky Sox were stifled by the Sounds pitchers, who surrender two runs on only five hits and no walks. The lone highlight for Colorado Springs was Michael Reed hitting a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth. Reed’s HR was his sixth of the year, and established a career high for the 23-year old outfielder.

Former Brewer Colin Walsh had two doubles and drove in two runs for the Sounds.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Coulter, Shuckers run past Wahoos on Saturday

Clint Coulter scored a club record four runs in the 7-2 victory

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/8/8/6/194122886/cuts/Coulter_q3erdbts_ap6ie4sy.jpg

Clint Coulter went 2-for-4 on Saturday and has scored five runs in just four plate appearances. (Chris Birch)

Biloxi Boxscore

Luis Oritz acquitted himself well in his first action for Biloxi, I'm looking forward to him being turned loose later as he slowly builds up from his DL stint. Tayler Scott has been smacked around but pitched 2 scoreless with 3 SO, his ERA still stands over over 7 on the year after today's action. Tristan Archer gave up 7 hits in less than 3 IP but only gave up 2 runs as Stephen Kohlscheen bailed him out of the 8th and slammed the door shut in the 9th.

Clint Coulter has had an interesting start to his AA career, I don't recall any player having more runs scored than PAs after 2 games. Dustin DeMuth just keeps on keeping on, his AVE is sitting at .381 after 11 games, the's maintaining as the sample size continues to grow. If Angel Ortega would hit at all he'd have significant value, I guess you could say the same for Yadiel Rivera or any glove first player for that matter. Ortega is up around 150 AA ABs and his ave is just .208.

Biloxi Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Cougars Score Five in Ninth to Top Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin lets one get away late at home

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin Boxscore

Jake Drossner continues to struggle as a starter, but the story here was Nate Greip blowing up in his worst outing of the season, and of course David Lucroy replaced him and promptly walked in a run giving up 2 straight free passes. The 9th inning was just brutal.

I'm too lazy to go back through the Helena boxscores but I believe Lucas Erceg's defensive issues hinge on his arm as his glove seems to be above average. I know I've posted about his cannon arm a couple of times now, but his accuracy is poor, even when he has time. Alan Sharkey saved him an error early in the game holding his foot on the bag and snagging an errant low throw back into the runner. Later Erceg made a super play with the glove going into foul territory but missed 1B on the throw by a good 15 feet, he was saved an error on that play by the ball rebounding perfectly off the concrete back to the Rattlers.

On the plus side 4 Rattlers recorded multi hit games including Trent Clark (2-5), Troy Stokes (2-4,BB), Max McDowell (3-4), and Sharkey (2-4). For the 2nd day in a row Isan Diaz was robbed of a double, this time it was a base running gaffe by Clark who misread the ball/fielder and wouldn't have scored from 2nd on a ball that got to the wall in right center.

Wisconsin Recap

Postgame Post – August 6, 2016

The David Stearns interview is worth your time.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Coulter sets record in first Double-A start

Brewers' 2012 first-round pick scores four runs in Shuckers victory

By Tyler Maun / MiLB.com

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/4/6/194140446/cuts/28198738064_5303dfa650_k_du7mro72_c5b9t7oi.jpg

Clint Coulter registered hits in six of his final 11 games before being promoted to Biloxi. (Chris Birch photo/Biloxi Shuckers)

There were times when the next step up the ladder seemed like it was another offseason and another Spring Training away for Clint Coulter. When that reward finally came, he made sure to put his stamp on it.

The Brewers prospect reached base four times and scored a team-record four runs in his first Double-A start Saturday as Biloxi beat Pensacola, 7-2, at MGM Park.

"I was starting to think maybe I'd never get called up [midseason] throughout all my Minor League seasons," Coulter said. "Maybe I'd start in a different place every year and move up the following year. It was a new feeling for me, getting called up midseason. I'd never had that happened and I was excited."

Coulter's only previous in-season jump came in 2013, when he went from the Rookie-level Arizona League to the Pioneer League. But moving from a complex team to Rookie ball doesn't carry quite the gravitas as a promotion out of Class A Advanced, as Coulter noticed.

"I think the biggest difference is just every guy throughout both lineups is solid," he said. "They're all experienced guys. They've all put their time in in the Minor Leagues, especially the pitchers. These aren't first-year guys or college draftees, high picks or anything. These are, a lot of them, guys who have been in the mix."

The 2012 first-round pick found his way aboard the painful way in his first trip to the plate, getting plunked by Blue Wahoos starter El'Hajj Muhammad leading off the third inning. With that out of the way, Coulter walked in the fourth, singled to left field in the sixth and singled again to left in the eighth.

"I didn't think it could get any hotter than the Florida State League, and I get here and get on base four times, running around," he said, laughing. "I was tired, but it was fun."

The outfielder touched home after each plate appearance, scoring four runs to match a personal best set on Aug. 19 of his debut season in 2012 in the Arizona League. It also was a first for a Shuckers player.

"I didn't even know that," he said. "That's funny. It probably doesn't hurt that it's only the second year of the franchise, but, yeah, that's pretty cool."

Coulter batted .220/.285/.333 in 87 games with Class A Advanced Brevard County but played some of his best ball toward the end of his tenure there. The 23-year-old slashed .263/.315/.375 in 23 games in June, his best month of the season.

"I just kind of started out slow at the beginning of the year and ended up with that injury," said Coulter, who missed three weeks in May with a right oblique injury. "I came back, started a little slow, too, and then everything started feeling good. I had some tough luck there the last few weeks before I got called up, but I still felt pretty good. Hopefully, it carries into here. I can keep it rolling and get ready for next year."

While he's in new surroundings, Coulter already felt a bit like he was home in Biloxi.

"It's cool to come up to a team that you already know with a lot of familiar faces, guys who I've played with in the past," he said. "In Spring Training, too, I was with them all spring and ended up getting sent down the last few days. It was nice to see the boys again."

Angel Ortega doubled twice behind Coulter in the Shuckers lineup. Reliever Tristan Archer matched Ortega's game-high two RBIs with a two-run single in the sixth that scored Coulter and Ortega.

Brewers No. 5 prospect Luis Ortiz, acquired in the deal that sent catcher Jonathan Lucroy to Texas last week, struck out three and allowed one hit over three scoreless innings in his organizational debut.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As also posted in our season-long Timber Rattlers feature archive thread --

Link includes video interview

Rattlers’ Stokes learning how to use his speed

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/cb5505d52b357b78205e097c0043aec1a5110ab0/c=239-0-3137-2179&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/08/06/Appleton/B9323234483Z.1_20160806212729_000_GHCF8CKCL.1-0.jpg

Full Q&A at the link...

Archived