Brewer Fanatic

2013 Draft in review

It's entirely possible that not a single player from the 2013 draft will ever play a day in MLB. Astounding. Devin Williams, Taylor Williams, and Garrett Cooper are the only players with even a chance. I wonder how often that happens, must be extremely rare.

Reviewing the '13 draft, the first thing that stands out to me is we had no first round pick. In fact, we didn't select until pick 54; and you said yourself that you think Devin Williams still has a chance to have a productive career (which would be a sane, logical conclusion given his young age).

I'm not familiar with Tucker Neuhaus and Barrett Astin's history since they were selected, but the next selection Taylor Williams didn't come until pick 122. That's the very end of the 4th round territory. The bulk of this draft was 5th round & later.

So, no 1st round selection, only 1 pick in the first 71 picks, and only 3 guys taken before the end of the 4th round. I'd say the chances of no one making the majors is probably pretty good given those parameters.

But, let's hold our horses a little longer & see what becomes of Devin Williams & co.

I would bet both of the Williams make it as well as Cooper. Clint Terry seems like a guy that could make it as well as a left handed reliever. Neuhaus appeared to turn a corner also until he had the worst finger injury ever. Agree it is a pretty bad draft though and the Lohse signing sure didn't help it.

The Lohse draft. Ugh.

It still boggles my mind that the Brewers with the worst farm system in baseball gave up pick #17 to sign the guy and then were surprised by the lack of excitement it generated.

Reviewing the '13 draft, the first thing that stands out to me is we had no first round pick. In fact, we didn't select until pick 54; and you said yourself that you think Devin Williams still has a chance to have a productive career (which would be a sane, logical conclusion given his young age).

I'm not familiar with Tucker Neuhaus and Barrett Astin's history since they were selected, but the next selection Taylor Williams didn't come until pick 122. That's the very end of the 4th round territory. The bulk of this draft was 5th round & later.

So, no 1st round selection, only 1 pick in the first 71 picks, and only 3 guys taken before the end of the 4th round. I'd say the chances of no one making the majors is probably pretty good given those parameters.

But, let's hold our horses a little longer & see what becomes of Devin Williams & co.

Barrett astin is pitching great in AA---unfortunately, the Brewers traded him for Jonathan Broxton in 2014

With us drafting as poorly as we were those years, having those couple of decent years of lohse is probably more productive than anyone we would have drafted anyway. Looking through previous draft results is extremely depressing. I wouldn't be as worried about the wasted opportunity from the 2013 draft as I am about the wasted picks from the 2012 draft.

It's entirely possible that not a single player from the 2013 draft will ever play a day in MLB. Devin Williams, Taylor Williams, and Garrett Cooper are the only players with even a chance.

That's always possible, but I think such a definitive statement is premature. Very few 2013 draftees have made any major league impact yet, and high school players from that draft like Neuhaus, Denson and Aviles are still only 21 (though admittedly none of those guys are exactly beating down the doors). A few draftees are in AA now, and it doesn't take much for a reliever like Tristan Archer or Clint Terry to get the call. The first guy to hit the majors probably won't do so for the Brewers; 3rd rounder Barrett Astin was traded to the Reds so that we could enjoy Jonathan Broxton's pitching, and he is a pretty decent bet to pitch in the majors in the very near future; he has a 2.5 era and whip under 1.00 in the southern league this year.

Barrett astin is pitching great in AA---unfortunately, the Brewers traded him for Jonathan Broxton in 2014

#facepalm

Devin has a good shot. His ERA is in the low 3's so he's progressing. I'd speculate that his upside is back end of rotation or more likely a bullpen guy. I'm not sure he has a dominant arm but he possibly can contribute in good time.

I love Taylor Williams. We will see how he recovers from the injury. But he could be an impact back end reliever.

Archived