Brewer Fanatic

Clint Coulter promoted to Biloxi

MrTPlush

I really didn't wanted to use the word promoted because honestly that's misleading. Promotion sounds positive.

Honestly this is probably a last ditch effort to get him going. We have a ton of outfielders and it's time to find out if he is even worth a spot. The decision to add him to the 40 man roster is also looming. We don't have room to be wasting space with a guy who is hitting like a pitcher.

Obviously more to it than numbers. Strictly looking at numbers, a case could be made that he earned a promotion after last season.

Actually it's ALL about numbers. Or one number anyhow- 23. Time to move up or move out. Fun fact. Biloxi now the home to 3 light hitting #1 Brewers draft picks.

promotions are often about achieving goals, not necessarily performance. Perhaps he's shown things that we can't see in statistics

I can almost bet this move is purely hope that moving out of Brevard County will help him(maybe it will). His stats are horrible and last year wasn't all that great either. He is 23 repeating A+ for a second time with quite worse results. Adding insult to injury he can't even play defense right. I know errors aren't everything, but being on pace for a good 15+ if the season was of MLB length as an OFer is pretty brutal. I don't even understand how that is possible.

promotions are often about achieving goals, not necessarily performance. Perhaps he's shown things that we can't see in statistics

I can almost bet this move is purely hope that moving out of Brevard County will help him(maybe it will). His stats are horrible and last year wasn't all that great either. He is 23 repeating A+ for a second time with quite worse results. Adding insult to injury he can't even play defense right. I know errors aren't everything, but being on pace for a good 15+ if the season was of MLB length as an OFer is pretty brutal. I don't even understand how that is possible.

While that's possible, he's still young for his league and learning a new position. I would expect him to move to 1st to let him focus on offense, but then I'm basing that on nothing but speculation. Hopefully he gets back on track in this last month.

I bet he's weepin tears of joy--- and "earned it" is totally subjective and we have no idea what individual things the Brewers might have each player working on before they get moved up

Well said Colby. It's easy to be an armchair expert and scout the box scores. Brewerfan is home to some of the very best after all!

But I like the shakeup. Let's see what happens.

I thought he would have started the year in Biloxi.

Someone in another thread claimed Coulter was sulking about the BC assignment and he was not mentally right. It was said that he had bad body language. That may have been affecting his performance. I haven't done math on this but I check the minor league stats frequently. If I had to guess, his offensive numbers over a more recent period are probably more encouraging. Just my speculation, but perhaps management told him to improve the attitude, he has, and he performed better in a more recent stretch. With that progress, they moved him up.

It would be great if he flips around. If he surges over the next year, he can revitalize himself as a prospect. It is a make or break period with the Brewer organization.

Obviously more to it than numbers. Strictly looking at numbers, a case could be made that he earned a promotion after last season.

Actually it's ALL about numbers. Or one number anyhow- 23. Time to move up or move out. Fun fact. Biloxi now the home to 3 light hitting #1 Brewers draft picks.

One can have good ABs with an empty box score so it's definitely not ALL about numbers. They're clearly banking on a change of scenery making a difference. I saw Coulter, Taylor, Roache take extended BP in spring and never understood the hype. Roache, by far, looked the best. But he's a BP hero and doesn't translate well to the field

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I didn't realize just how much of a power suck BC has been. Went back a few years and only one guy has had a SLG over .500 (Khris Davis) but I'm not sure what his home/road splits were. Ryan Braun could only manage .438 SLG playing for BC...again, not sure what splits were.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would love to see an in-depth interview with him, maybe after another week or two, about how he perceives the move and how he explains his improvement (assuming it continues). It could be a really useful data point about how a certain type of prospect responds to a certain type of adversity.

I would love to see an in-depth interview with him, maybe after another week or two, about how he perceives the move and how he explains his improvement (assuming it continues). It could be a really useful data point about how a certain type of prospect responds to a certain type of adversity.

I agree. Maybe in the off-season after he has a little time to reflect. Everyone is saying how great it is he's hitting in AA, and it is. At the same time, I'm not sure it's a good sign that he got in a funk he couldn't get out of, for whatever reason.

If/when he ever makes it to MLB he will struggle. I hope he doesn't just shut down when that happens, because there's nowhere to promote him to get him to focus again.

I agree. Maybe in the off-season after he has a little time to reflect. Everyone is saying how great it is he's hitting in AA, and it is. At the same time, I'm not sure it's a good sign that he got in a funk he couldn't get out of, for whatever reason.

If/when he ever makes it to MLB he will struggle. I hope he doesn't just shut down when that happens, because there's nowhere to promote him to get him to focus again.

Nonsense. If he comes up and his hitting .100 just move him up to the leadoff spot..........

Seriously though I don't know how a guy can go from being terrible at A+ to all of a sudden going bonkers at AA. Maybe it is just a weeklong fluke. Its going to take a lot longer period for me to consider Clint an actual prospect again. I hope he has turned a corner but we'll see.

Archived