Brewer Fanatic

The Great PTBNL From Texas Speculation Thread

Putting together the Matuella theory with the Mendez theory . . .

Is it possible that Matuella is at the top of a mix of possibilities, and they want the time to see how he progresses medically? If that's the case, and if they prefer him to Mendez (or whomever you like better), that could trump the "if it were Mendez (or whoever you like better), he would already be here" logic.

In other words, it could be anybody.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping it's one of Guzman, Mendez or Jurado but my logic tells me that if any of them was on the table originally then they would've been included right away. I feel it's either one of their injured pitchers (Michael Matuella, Pedro Pavano and Brett Martin), a near ML ready reliever or one of their many middle infield prospects like Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Michael De Leon, Yeyson Yrizarri or Ti'Quan Forbes.

I can't see the Brewers looking to add multiple OF'ers in the trade which eliminates Leodys Tavares, Ryan Cordell, Eric Jenkins and Jairo Beras. These guys would have probably been in play had Gallo been the headliner instead of Brinson.

Count me in the And That group wih Matuella as my pick and De Leon as a #2.

@WiscoSportsNut

Guzman got bumped up to AAA a couple days after the trade. I'm still thinking he's the guy the Brewers have in mind and may have asked Texas to promote him for scouting purposes. Stearns mentioned how the return from Texas differed from the Cleveland package in that the prospects coming were closer to major leagues. Guzman falls into that category as well.

Or he's fitting in on their plan to the ML team by start of next season. Mitch Moreland is a FA after this season. Fielder is a question mark and more of a DH. You have Joey Gallo but for a contending team, He'll be on short leashes and Adrian Beltre while having his extension, will be 38 and 39 the next 2 seasons. Amazing how healthy he's been. His production tailed off a little last season and barely any this season, but still age and production comes in to play. His next minor injury may be where the next dropoff in production comes. At that point Gallo becomes the 3b. 1b/DH is open if Fielder/Profar aren't taking it up.

So I don't believe it's going to be Guzman for that factor.

Haudricourt tweeted yesterday that according to what he heard it's probably not going to be a player of Mendez caliber but ended it saying "but what do I know". Not sure what this tweet means or why he even tweeted about the PTBNL then. But that's what he said

Haudricourt tweeted yesterday that according to what he heard it's probably not going to be a player of Mendez caliber but ended it saying "but what do I know". Not sure what this tweet means or why he even tweeted about the PTBNL then. But that's what he said

TH citing nothing here......

TH making a safe observation that it cannot be Mendez caliber since Mendez is rated very high. Anyone other than Mendez himself will prove TH true...

Agree with you.... He's just filling empty space.

Here's the actual tweet:

Tom ‏@Haudricourt Aug 10

From what I was told, I don’t think it will be a prospect ranked that high but I could be wrong.

peter devine @PeteD04

@Haudricourt Do you think Yohander Mendez is a realistic possibility as the PTBNL? He is on fire since his promotion to AAA.

It was in response to a question. Prob doesn't warrant any criticism, just stating his impression based on what he's heard.

My money is on one of Taveras, Jurado, Matuella, or Payano. I was first expecting a throw in/lottery ticket, but the Rosenthal report and some other information makes me think it's a legit prospect. I would be ecstatic with any of the names above, but I would tread lightly with Matuella. If it's Mendez I'll go even more nuts!

I don't think it's Mendez either. If Mendez was even made available, I think he would be in the Brewers system right now. Mendez also fits into the Rangers window of opportunity.

My bet is that it will be between Taveras and DeLeon. With those 2 being so young and green, the Brewers want to see as much of a sample as they can before making a decision. The extra 2 months helps tremendously with that. And it's also makes sense as there was much rumor of Brewer scouts doing their thing at many a Ranger minor league games.

In the end I believe it to be Taveras.

My .02 cents.

Taveras is gaining traction in my mind as possible because what the Rangers are doing with him seems odd - bumping him up to his 3rd level to the northwest league at age 17. Think Stearns may have asked for Rangers to challenge him perhaps....So far he is really struggling at the level....Payano is still dl'd

"...Think Stearns may have asked for Rangers to challenge him perhaps..."

An interesting theory, especially given that he went to Spokane the day after the trade. That would make the trade quite a haul for the Brewers. Though it's nice to see Luc tearing it up in Texas. Six homers already, in 11 games.

Taveras is gaining traction in my mind as possible because what the Rangers are doing with him seems odd - bumping him up to his 3rd level to the northwest league at age 17. Think Stearns may have asked for Rangers to challenge him perhaps....So far he is really struggling at the level....Payano is still dl'd

they did the same thing Anderson Tejeda the young shortstop

Josh Morgan doesn't get much love on here for a possible selection. I like him a lot. Hits for good avg, high on base with solid OPS for a middle IF. Can play 3 spots too so offers versatility. Still only 20 in A+ having a nice season and developing some pop. Walks almost at same rate as K. Strong consistency shown even when advancing levels. A guy like him helps MLB teams win and feel he's overlooked (similar to Payano in this regard)

I hope part of the PTBNL included how well Lucroy played for Texas to maybe open a prospect....like Mendez. 7HRs in 15games 14RBI. It's great that he's producing every bit like the #1 Position Player to trade for this year's deadline. .9 WAR in 15games Consider that he's only started 12games. 8-4 Tex is in them. 1-2 when he didn't. Seattle has gone 12-3 in last 15 games a worthy run to catch Texas but with 9-6 have only gained 3games. Keep it up Luc!

It would be interesting to find out the List of prospects for ptbnl was actually lists to pick from based on his production.

From Heyman's latest:

Milwaukee Brewers

Outfield prospect Lewis Brinson was off to a huge start with Milwaukee following his trade there before going down with injury. Brinson, known as a terrific young man from Fort Lauderdale, was the one loss from that Jonathan Lucroy deal that really gave the Rangers the most pause. Luis Ortiz also is a top prospect, but some scouts worry about a “bad body.” (Though that doesn’t seem to have stopped Bartolo Colon, who Ortiz is sometimes compared to) … The Brewers will choose from a list of very good prospects for the third piece (but not Joey Gallo or anyone of that ilk).

Makes me think that Mendez is out for sure.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

"but not Gallo or anyone of that ilk". Not sure if that refers to the overall or system ratings given Gallo has been a Top 10 overall the past 2yrs. Nobody else has an elite ranking like that. Mendez was just put in the Top 100 for the first time mid-season this year and no other prospects are Top 100 as of today, or most likely at the start of next year (maybe Jurado sneaks in), so you'd think everyone is an option to be on that list to choose from outside of Gallo (and probably Mendez).

Matuella makes sense given both team's were swapping medicals before the deadline and they ran out of time on the 3rd player hence making it a PTBNL situation. Allows 2 months to keep an eye on his recovery and if they don't like what they see then go with their next best choice. 3 IP since being drafted and shut down with elbow strain means he very well could be the guy. Gut feeling is it's him. If not him, I think Payano since he's 21 dominating A ball. He's been buried on the prospects list below Tate, Ortiz, Mendez, Jurado, Matuella with the Rangers pitching coaches/minor league directors speaking highly of his talent and how he flies under the radar because of the "names" ahead of him. That his talent is that of a top pitching prospect in a lot of org's

Matuella has got to be the least wanted prospect in the Rangers system for the Brewers. 144 Total IP now in 4years with 3 IP as a professional whos looking at age 23 to attempt IP #4. 57 IP is his highest in a season with Duke. Matuella has 0 chance of making it as a Starter at the Major League level for at least 5 more years. Id assume he would be a Rule 5 concern before that point. Which means he's stashed on the 40man in a system rated #1 currently? He became a non trade candidate once he lasted 3IP and done for season again. Just think about that. Another FrddyPeralta type of find will have higher upside than Matuella who at this point has Bullpen stamped all over his Ceiling and a Minor League Retirement as his floor.

Archived