Brewer Fanatic

The Great PTBNL From Texas Speculation Thread

My goodness, he used the most generic term possible. Ask him what he thinks about Belonis, and he would probably use the exact same words.

He's highly intelligent, articulate and methodical. He also understands how to frame conversations. There are plenty of words he could have chosen including simply leaving out the word "very". There's nothing wrong with a "quality prospect" but he didn't say that.

It could be someone from the current Top 10 Rangers list or a Matuella/Payano/David Garcia or even Freddy Peralta type nobody's heard of. Lot of good looking options.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's Matuella. Stearns mentioned something about following an injury risk. I'm paraphrasing but it suggested Texas was taking in a possible medical risk until he could be cleared. C

I took the injury line from that post to mean something different. I thought he was basically saying that by postponing until the end of the season, if the prospect they were going to choose suffered an injury that affected his long term value, they could instead go with their second choice from the list. That made me think two things:

1. The top choice is more likely a pitcher, given that the type of injuries that affect value past the present season are much more common with pitchers.

2. It is unlikely Matuella because he is shut down for the year so, barring a rehab injury, isn't likely to get more injured in the interim.

Then again, who knows. Maybe we're both reading too much into that line.

I'd agree that Payano has to be the favorite given the Brewers' apparent interest in him and the fact that he is just far enough down most prospect lists where he would be feasible to be included (count me among those who would be shocked by Mendez). A lot of the other pitchers on LouisEly's list as well as Sadzeck are possibilities as well, in my opinion.

Stearns wants Rangers to assume injury risk for the remainder of the season would point to pitcher. Sure hitters can get hurt but not as substantially to impact their value

I seem to remember Stearns referring to Manny Pina as a prospect, but not "very quality". Refering to Pina as a prospect might be a stretch, but I'd expect something worthwhile, not great.

Mendez and Guzman were just promoted to AAA so I doubt they would do that if they knew they were to be traded.

My guess: Brett Martin

Stearns wants Rangers to assume injury risk for the remainder of the season would point to pitcher. Sure hitters can get hurt but not as substantially to impact their value

I seem to remember Stearns referring to Manny Pina as a prospect, but not "very quality". Refering to Pina as a prospect might be a stretch, but I'd expect something worthwhile, not great.

Mendez and Guzman were just promoted to AAA so I doubt they would do that if they knew they were to be traded.

My guess: Brett Martin

I wouldn't read into the promotion at all given they don't know who Stearns officially wants therefore they'll continue to treat every player as they normally would. The more I think about it the more I lean toward Jurado or Payano. Neither is a stretch as an inclusion to the trade.

My guess is that Pedro Payano is the target and the only reason his name wasn't in the original deal is because of his DL status. If for some reason he doesn't look good when he returns then Stearns probably has low level, high upside options available like OF-Jose Almonte or RHP-Tyler Phillips to pick from. I'd be pretty surprised if it's a player like Guzman or Jurado. Those guys have a pretty decent track record and certainly would have been well scouted by the Brewers, it's hard to believe that the Brewers needed more time to research these players. Also not convinced that Milwaukee/Texas really did run out of time when trying to figure out which player in that class of player to include in the deal.

Ken rosenthal said today that the ptbnl is a significant prospect

Good catch, here is the VIDEO Link.

He says has been told the third player is a significant piece, perhaps along the lines of the other two players involved in the trade.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Gallo was rumored to be in the deal right when it was going down. Was he sent down prior to the deal becoming official? If so I wonder if Gallo/Mendez are apart of the list.

If said player is on the same level of the two we got who else could it possibly be? One can dream.

I am betting Mendez...just a hunch.

I'm still skeptical that it is Mendez, but if it is and they play it conservatively at the major league level (maybe Jungmann gets one more shot in the rotation to start the year), their 2017 triple-A rotation could be Hader/Mendez/Ortiz/Woodruff/Lopez. That would be good. That would be very good.

Rosenthal is saying it is a significant piece coming back.

From MLB Trade Rumors: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/rosenthals-latest-rangers-brewers-braun-braves-sale-mariners.html

Well-regarded prospects Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz headlined the package the Brewers received from the Rangers on Monday in exchange for catcher Jonathan Lucroy and reliever Jeremy Jeffress. Not to be forgotten, Texas also agreed to include a player to be named later, and FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (video link) characterizes that player as “a significant piece” who could be along the lines of Brinson and Ortiz – both of whom rank among Baseball America’s 75 best prospects. The reason Milwaukee didn’t land the player Monday is because the two teams ran out of time before they could agree on whom it would be, leaving the Brewers to eventually choose one from a list the Rangers provided them.

The only problem with a Mendez theory is the fact he is 10x better than any prospect after him in the system. If it was truly Mendez why would we wait? Unless it is a list consisting of both Mendez/Gallo Mendez doesn't make a ton of sense.

Leodys Taveras/Ariel Jurado/Ronald Guzman may be more realistic.

Rosenthal is saying it is a significant piece coming back.

From MLB Trade Rumors: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/rosenthals-latest-rangers-brewers-braun-braves-sale-mariners.html

Well-regarded prospects Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz headlined the package the Brewers received from the Rangers on Monday in exchange for catcher Jonathan Lucroy and reliever Jeremy Jeffress. Not to be forgotten, Texas also agreed to include a player to be named later, and FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (video link) characterizes that player as “a significant piece” who could be along the lines of Brinson and Ortiz – both of whom rank among Baseball America’s 75 best prospects. The reason Milwaukee didn’t land the player Monday is because the two teams ran out of time before they could agree on whom it would be, leaving the Brewers to eventually choose one from a list the Rangers provided them.

The video of Rosenthal's comments is linked on the previous page for those interested.

I had been trying to not get my hopes up too high prior to actually knowing the identity of the 3rd prospect, but Rosenthal's information makes it difficult to temper excitement and resist dwelling on the top tier of the Rangers system.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The only problem with a Mendez theory is the fact he is 10x better than any prospect after him in the system. If it was truly Mendez why would we wait? Unless it is a list consisting of both Mendez/Gallo Mendez doesn't make a ton of sense.

Leodys Taveras/Ariel Jurado/Ronald Guzman may be more realistic.

Ive always thought Mendez is a stretch but also possible. Could very well be any player you mentioned along with Payano or Matuella (1-1 talent to follow his rehab and such). Even though we might see a gap in their prospects they might not. They could already have a final list to choose from or still be working on adding someone like Mendez. All I know is this person will be a strong talent based on everything Stearns and the scouts have done this far and it'll be exciting to hear the final decision

Wouldn't hold my breath on mendez, he'd be here already if it was him.

I agree, the only way I could see this is if it's like Michael Brantley was in the Sabathia trade - "If the Rangers make the playoffs ..."

I don't expect it to be Mendez.

From what we can piece together, you have to think it's a pitcher if in fact Kenny boy thinks it's a significant prospect.

I keep reading that if it was someone high on the list then why wouldn't he be named, well what's the point of naming the player right now if you don't have to with a month of the minor league season left when elbows can be blown up in one pitch. If in fact during the deal they really did run out of time before settling on the third player. We shall see on a local radio station Assistant GM Matt Arnold said (paraphrasing), "the third piece would be one fans would like." I don't know if he is pointing directly at these subjective lists that fans look at or it is purely GM speak and he would say the same about acquiring a Joe Winkelsas type. Time will tell, seems like the PTBN was under some unique circumstances though.

Archived