Brewer Fanatic

The Great PTBNL From Texas Speculation Thread

Place your bets while the wheel is in spin .... who is it .... Sir, keep your hands back please .... who is the Player to be Named Later in the Lucroy/Jeffress deal with the Rangers?

Some things to consider ...

1. It cannot be a player who was drafted in 2016 - MLB does not allow that until following the World Series of the same year.

2. The player can be on TX' 40-man roster, but they could not have been on the 25-man at the time of the trade, nor can it be a player who is recalled to the 25-man at any point before the player is named and the deal is complete.

so

3. That means it won't be a player who is on the cusp of the big leagues right now, because TX wouldn't tie up a player they may need to recall during a pennant race.

Have fun ...

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=tex

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not completely sure if they can trade for him because he was a July 1 signing, but Stearns gets his catcher after all: David Garcia. They need to wait so long to make the PTBNL selection because Garcia's not eligible to even get on the field until instructionals after the minor league season concludes.

Not completely sure if they can trade for him because he was a July 1 signing, but Stearns gets his catcher after all: David Garcia. They need to wait so long to make the PTBNL selection because Garcia's not eligible to even get on the field until instructionals after the minor league season concludes.

Toby, I wondered that, about that same player, last night. I'll see if I can get an answer.

I'm really hoping it's Mendez followed by Matuella (even though he wasn't on that list provided by that one poster with inside info). I'd also like Payano or Garcia too (also not on that list but didn't think he was even eligible, which I thought he wasn't based on the wording)

there was a list posted?

I'm really hoping it's Mendez followed by Matuella (even though he wasn't on that list provided by that one poster with inside info). I'd also like Payano or Garcia too (also not on that list but didn't think he was even eligible, which I thought he wasn't based on the wording)

there was a list posted?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a post yesterday about 4 players names going to Stearns in order of priority. Those being Mendez, Guzman, Payano, Jurado

I doubt it is Matuella. He is one of those guys who will always have a higher value for the team that drafted him. Trade him and you risk looking like an absolute idiot if he puts it together. Then again Daniels probably won't be around to care.

That list of four is not relevant here. Wildcat (poster) has knowledge those were players scouts followed leading up to trade. Lots of others were scouted as well, since structure of trade could have been a quantity trade. This scout had no knowledge of who is on the ptbnl list. Hope that makes sense?

I'll throw down some odds:

Pedro Payano (4:1) - Makes a lot of sense, lower level guy (low-A) with good K/9 currently on the DL thus needing more time to scout.

Ariel Jurado (10:1) - I think he is the backup in case they don't get good reports on Payano. Decent in high-A (High Desert is tough on pitchers) but good not great strikeout numbers.

Joe Palumbo (10:1) - my darkhorse, on nobody's radar but should be - 94 K in 69 innings at low-A, recently moved into the starting rotation, 21 year old lefty drafted out of HS, and listed at 6'1" and only 150 lbs, lots of projection here. Could be the Brewers getting Banda back.

Ronald Guzman (12:1) - I think he just got bumped to AAA, decent numbers but not great for the Texas league (hitters league); he is only 21 though. I think the Brewers prefer pitching.

David Garcia (15:1) - some questions about eligibility, and only 16 years old - definition of a lottery ticket, but the delay would make some sense to give time to scout him.

Jeffrey Springs (18:1) - my other darkhorse, small school guy drafted in 30th round last year but ridiculous numbers in low-A, 31 IP, 11 H, 40 K; bumped up to High Desert and getting knocked around a bit (happens in High Desert) but still >9 K/9 IP. Could be their Mike Fiers.

Johander Mendez (30:1) - if he was an option I think he would have been jumped on; I think his name was mentioned in the sense that it was him or Ortiz, not and Ortiz (or him or Brinson, not and Brinson).

That list of four is not relevant here. Wildcat (poster) has knowledge those were players scouts followed leading up to trade. Lots of others were scouted as well, since structure of trade could have been a quantity trade. This scout had no knowledge of who is on the ptbnl list. Hope that makes sense?

That's correct, however, I think the possible connection is that it would make sense that if Stearns had a group of players he was interested in and/or was scouting heavily because they were already in discussion with TEX for a quantity trade and those were the four that he valued most, that he would also push/be interested in those players for the PTBNL list as well. It's purely conjecture, and it's quite possible that he wasn't able to get the more valuable players onto the list, but I suspect at least some of the players he was scouting would likely be also on the PTBNL list.

Here's his original list:

I talked to my Brewers scout friend again this afternoon. He scouted the Rangers system for a good two weeks. This morning his superior called and asked for more info on Yohander Mendez, Pedro Payano, Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Ariel Jurado, Leody Taveras, and Ronald Guzman.

It wouldn't be too illogical if a list like this was used to form a "you can have 4 guys from this list or 1 from this list plus Brinson" type of deal. I'm hoping at least, as there are some nice guys to choose from here.

Thanks for the clarification. There was another post with just those 4 names and I read that as those would be on his PTBNL list. My mistake

Guzman would be my choice. Big young lefty hitting 1B who's major league ETA is 2018. Where's that guy in the Brewer system? Has shown good power that should develop further as he gets stronger. Is not a strikeout machine either so not your typical boom or bust.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Total guess but I'll say a high ceiling young guy. A ball or lower.

Edit: I guess they're all young. Young for his level.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

DS mentioned on Tuesday's Brewer telecast that the PTBNL was a "very quality prospect" (see the Rock/BA interview at AtBat- Aug 2 game highlights... About 10 min.) My doubts that this is just a throw in have gone down considerably.

DS mentioned on Tuesday's Brewer telecast that the PTBNL was a "very quality prospect" (see the Rock/BA interview at AtBat- Aug 2 game highlights... About 10 min.) My doubts that this is just a throw in have gone down considerably.

Might mean something, but I can't imagine he'd describe a PTBNL as a "thrown-in" or "lottery ticket" even if that was the case.

The more I read about Ronald Guzman the more I like him. I think he could have a real future in our organization at a position that is relatively thin right now. Another name I've grown to like is that of Josh Morgan. Middle infielder (I know, I know) with some pop that can routinely hit .285-.315 is definitely valuable. Do I think Stearns goes that route? Not necessarily due to the plethora of guys we have around there. Do I think it's out of the question? Absolutely not.

Might mean something, but I can't imagine he'd describe a PTBNL as a "thrown-in" or "lottery ticket" even if that was the case.

Nah, I agree, I'm sure he wouldn't. On the other hand, I don't think he would insult our intelligence by calling it a 'very quality prospect' if it was a nothing prospect/Maxim St. Pierre type. (had to call it that, it's been too long)

Archived