Brewer Fanatic

The Most Overlooked Prospect in the Brewers' System Is ...

I'll vote Jon Perrin and his 118:17 K:BB ratio, 2.66 ERA, 1.08 WHIP. I don't know anything about his stuff, but man do I like those K:BB numbers, even if he is a bit old for his level.
Perrin is the new Woodruff.

Here's a scouting report from earlier this year: "Perrin is a large framed right handed starter with the potential for 3 average pitches. The fastball features slightly above average velocity paired with deception and the ability to command the pitch to 4 quadrants of the plate. The slider features short bite in the zone. He throws plenty of strikes and will be a durable innings eater at the highest level."

Nice. Cannot remember seeing him listed as having above average velocity before but that would lend to the legitimacy of the results.

I like the Gideon mention as well. I know it is secondary but I want to start winning some damn games in the minors. You need guys like Gideon to do that I think. Hopefully he can continue his impact hitting.

Our system is loaded with guys who project to be back of the rotation starters at the next level. The good thing about that is that it should make the Matt Garza's and Jeff Suppan's of the world unnecessary.

Our system is loaded with guys who project to be back of the rotation starters at the next level. The good thing about that is that it should make the Matt Garza's and Jeff Suppan's of the world unnecessary.

I'm all for no more Suppans and Garzas, but they weren't brought in to be back of the rotation starters.

I'm all for no more Suppans and Garzas, but they weren't brought in to be back of the rotation starters.

With this in mind, hopefully Attanasio's days as a GM are now over.

There are several recent JR/SR 2016 draft picks (even beyond Gideon) hitting quite well in Helena & Maryvale.

Weston Wilson - .303/.377/.485 w/ 13 BB, 19 K

Nathan Rodriguez (who's still 20 yrs old) - .294/.388/.431 w/ 3 HR, 16 BB, 19 K

Trey York - .315/.412/.446 w/ 12 2B, 21 BB, 26 K, 9 SB

Jose Gomez - .314/.415/.381 w/ 21 BB, 26 K

Of those 4, I think Rodriguez has the most intrigue. York needs to get bumped up, IMO. But all worth keeping an eye on.

Maybe that's underselling what Garza was when we got him, but Suppan had something like a 4.50 career ERA when we signed him and was a beneficiary of great defense at the time in St. Louis.

If we really signed him with the expectations of him being a rotation anchor, we pretty grossly overestimated him.

Maybe that's underselling what Garza was when we got him, but Suppan had something like a 4.50 career ERA when we signed him and was a beneficiary of great defense at the time in St. Louis.

If we really signed him with the expectations of him being a rotation anchor, we pretty grossly overestimated him.

Oh, no doubt about that! But when Mark A went after Suppan full force, I can't imagine he did so with the hopes of having his #5 starter set for the next several years. Same with Wolf, Lohse, etc. I think they wanted to believe all those guys were #3 type starters, and in the case of Garza a #2.

In the non-top 25 prospect division, I'll toss out a couple of Timber Rattler pitchers: Conor Harber (so long as the injury doesn't have long-term implications, that K rate has me thinking he might be the first-to-AAA favorite among the current Rattlers) and Jordan Desguin (good success so far, new enough to pitching not to count the delay getting out of Helena against him).

In the non-top 25 prospect division, I'll toss out a couple of Timber Rattler pitchers: Conor Harber (so long as the injury doesn't have long-term implications, that K rate has me thinking he might be the first-to-AAA favorite among the current Rattlers) and Jordan Desguin (good success so far, new enough to pitching not to count the delay getting out of Helena against him).
Relievers with >10 IP, K/9 > 9, K/BB > 4, H/9 < 8:

•  
  • Colton Cross
  • Jordan Desguin
  • Conor Harber
  • Stephen Kohlscheen
  • Daniel Tillman
  • Christian Trent

All righties except for Trent. The line to board the Christian Trent hype train starts here.

My endpoints miss someone like Jon Olczak, but I don't know scouting reports on any of these guys, so it's all made-up spreadsheet numeromancy anyway.

Archived