Brewer Fanatic

The Most Overlooked Prospect in the Brewers' System Is ...

Yea, I don't think he's overlooked around here. Was half expecting to see Sister's face when I clicked the link.

I'm surprised by the number of people who don't have him in their top 15 in the top 25 prospect poll. Everybody has him in, but many have him 18th or lower.

I'm just as surprised by the number of people who don't have Wang in their list at all.

Yea, I don't think he's overlooked around here. Was half expecting to see Sister's face when I clicked the link.

I'm surprised by the number of people who don't have him in their top 15 in the top 25 prospect poll. Everybody has him in, but many have him 18th or lower.

I'm just as surprised by the number of people who don't have Wang in their list at all.

Woodruff has my attention no doubt. Wang still seems kind of fringy but I admit to not knowing what to make of him.

I just read something on him the other day that said he picked up a couple ticks on his fastball and now he closer to a mid-90s guy and it's allowing his secondary which were avg. to play up. So basically 2-3mph on his Fb turned him from a 3 avg. offerings #5 ceiling to a 3 above avg to fring Plus offerings number 3 ceiling. That's a big jump! It's exciting, but also concerning as we tend to see guys in this system drop velocity at the higher levels in favor of 'being more controlled' and with a report like that it would send him back to mediocrity.

I don't know, he will still probably land at 12 or so which is pretty good in this system. Of course a couple of people voted for Woodford so maybe he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

I'll vote Jon Perrin and his 118:17 K:BB ratio, 2.66 ERA, 1.08 WHIP. I don't know anything about his stuff, but man do I like those K:BB numbers, even if he is a bit old for his level.

But congrats to Woodruff on getting named Pitcher of the Month. Great to see Brewer pitching prospects doing well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My "six most overlooked" are:

LHP Brent Suter

RHP Jon Perrin

LHP Wei-Chung Wang

OF/1B Garrett Cooper

OF Michael Reed

OF Troy Stokes

Suter's my obvious pick - the numbers the last two years are simply undeniable. If he is not on the Brewers' 40-man for 2017, he'll be on someone else's. Wang, I think is overlooked as a former Rule V pick, but he's emerged as a superb pitching prospect the last two years. Both are pitchers I could easily see getting snapped up in the Rule V draft.

Perrin's racking up loads of strikeouts and few walks. Cooper, Reed, and Stokes are very similar hitters: Good OBP skills, lots of doubles. They get overlooked because they aren't flashy power hitters or middle infielders.

I am starting to really like Corbin Burnes. Hopefully the Brewers are able to increase his stamina to allow him to go further into the game. If he is not able to go further into the games at worst he is a late inning bullpen piece.

LHP Brent Suter

RHP Jon Perrin

LHP Wei-Chung Wang

OF/1B Garrett Cooper

OF Michael Reed

OF Troy Stokes

Suter's my obvious pick - the numbers the last two years are simply undeniable. If he is not on the Brewers' 40-man for 2017, he'll be on someone else's. Wang, I think is overlooked as a former Rule V pick, but he's emerged as a superb pitching prospect the last two years. Both are pitchers I could easily see getting snapped up in the Rule V draft.

Perrin's racking up loads of strikeouts and few walks. Cooper, Reed, and Stokes are very similar hitters: Good OBP skills, lots of doubles. They get overlooked because they aren't flashy power hitters or middle infielders.

You have jumped the Jorge Ortega ship? He ranked highly for you previously if I remember? What happened to him do you think?

Burnes is being limited due to his college workload before he signed. He'll be stretched out as a regular starter next year.

More commenting on his long term as he hitters were able to almost tee off on him the longer he was in the game in college or at least the start that I got to see him pitch. He needs to add stamina in order to be a starter. His breaking ball is what gets hurt the most the further he goes in the game. I know he will eventually be stretched out but there is legitimate concern about his stamina going forward. If he can last longer into games his stuff is good enough to be a #3 type pitcher otherwise he is going to be a late inning reliever.

LHP Brent Suter

RHP Jon Perrin

LHP Wei-Chung Wang

OF/1B Garrett Cooper

OF Michael Reed

OF Troy Stokes

You have jumped the Jorge Ortega ship? He ranked highly for you previously if I remember? What happened to him do you think?

Something's gone very wrong in Biloxi - the gopher balls and BB9 have just skyrocketed compared to 2015. That's part of it. If it had been at Colorado Springs, I'd have him higher, but that was at Biloxi, not a real hitter's park. So was 2015 a flash in the pan? Is he pitching through something? I just don't know what's wrong. but something's off.

Perrin and Wang, though, have gone up based on their performance this year.

I do not believe Suter is a prospect who is being overlooked because I do not think he is much of a prospect. He has never struck out enough guys. I've seen some comparisons to Fiers, but that is a red herring because if you look at Fiers' career MiLB numbers, he struck out more than a batter per inning every year but one and Suter has never come close to that. Do I want him to be great? Of course, he plays for the Brewers but to call him the best prospect in our system is lunacy.

I do not believe Suter is a prospect who is being overlooked because I do not think he is much of a prospect. He has never struck out enough guys. I've seen some comparisons to Fiers, but that is a red herring because if you look at Fiers' career MiLB numbers, he struck out more than a batter per inning every year but one and Suter has never come close to that. Do I want him to be great? Of course, he plays for the Brewers but to call him the best prospect in our system is lunacy.

Dallas Keuchel may be a "dream" comparison as he struck out even less hitters in the minors, but unfortunately Suter doesn't quite have the same extreme ground ball profile. He must be doing something to limit hard contact to have that HR rate in Colorado Springs though.

Dallas Keuchel may be a "dream" comparison as he struck out even less hitters in the minors, but unfortunately Suter doesn't quite have the same extreme ground ball profile. He must be doing something to limit hard contact to have that HR rate in Colorado Springs though.

The key stat is K/BB ratio and for Suter it's a fine 3.1/1. Kyle Hendricks is 2nd in the NL right now in ERA, and he's striking out a relatively modest 7.6 per 9 innings. His minor league rates nearly mirror Suter's too. Suter obviously keeps hitters off balance, and that's the most important thing to pitching successfully. With all the hard throwers out there in the game right now, the dart throwers and changeup artists are starting to flourish as they aren't all that common.

The key stat is K/BB ratio and for Suter it's a fine 3.1/1. Kyle Hendricks is 2nd in the NL right now in ERA, and he's striking out a relatively modest 7.6 per 9 innings. His minor league rates nearly mirror Suter's too. Suter obviously keeps hitters off balance, and that's the most important thing to pitching successfully. With all the hard throwers out there in the game right now, the dart throwers and changeup artists are starting to flourish as they aren't all that common.

The change-up artists and dart-throwers are undervalued in the current market. Maybe that is the next "Moneyball" path to success.

Even though I know he's not overlooked by everyone, I'm going to go with Isan Diaz, one of my favorites. I think he's looked at as more of a borderline organizational top 10 where I think he has the talent of a top 3. I think he'd be a top 2 prospect in some systems already and if he were with the Red Sox I think he'd be on most top 100s by now.

Ronnie Gideon has really tore the cover off the ball at Helena. I haven't heard much at all about him.

He is mashing, but he's also 21 and about to turn 22. Maybe it's time to part with Sharkey and promote Gideon to WI.

I like Aviles as a possible MLB player since he can play so many positions. That's a valuable commodity. He can hit some, and even has some pop in his bat. Like everyone else, either he continues to develop or he doesn't. But when you can play a lot of positions, that helps your cause tremendously.

I'll vote Jon Perrin and his 118:17 K:BB ratio, 2.66 ERA, 1.08 WHIP. I don't know anything about his stuff, but man do I like those K:BB numbers, even if he is a bit old for his level.
Perrin is the new Woodruff.

Here's a scouting report from earlier this year: "Perrin is a large framed right handed starter with the potential for 3 average pitches. The fastball features slightly above average velocity paired with deception and the ability to command the pitch to 4 quadrants of the plate. The slider features short bite in the zone. He throws plenty of strikes and will be a durable innings eater at the highest level."

Archived