Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Farm System Rated #1

I think that's an oversimplification of what happens. I've long made attempts to convince people that playoff baseball is much different because of the off days... playoff baseball is about best on best more so than who has the best team. This reliever trend which is attributed to KC actually started in 2011 with the Cards. In a series with off days the Brewer pitching simply didn't match up best on best.

I've haven't done a very good job convincing people of how different playoff baseball truly is, what appears random really isn't. Being on a roll matters, but not as much as the match-ups do.

Without the Braves collapsing in 2011 after August 31st the Cardinals would not have made the playoffs. After August 31st the Braves only won 9 games. The Braves had an 8.5 game lead over the Cardinals after August 31st if the Braves would have won 2 more games in September they would have been in the playoffs facing the Brewers.

The Brewers more than likely still do not make the World Series as the Brewers offense was a sleep for the majority of the playoffs. The Brewers probably would have lost in 6 games to the Diamondbacks in the same fashion they lost to the Cardinals.

The Cardinals bullpen in 2011 wasn't even all that good for the year they had the worst playoff team bullpen and I can not agree with the Cardinals having a bullpen like the Royals did last year that is just not true. The Brewers had a top 10 bullpen in 2011 while the Cardinals were ranked 15th by RA/g. I chose RA/g because the bullpen is supposed to prevent runs from scoring the Cardinals bullpen was just barely better than the league average by .01.

The reason the Cardinals won that series was because the Brewers just did not play up to their level while the Cardinals did and nothing more.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that makes me pause is the lack of a superstar / ace. Teams have won championships without one though.

I remember a disturbing analysis at Fangraphs this spring that analyzed the quality of the teams top minor league talent and the Brewers were the only team with multiple Top 100 that did NOT have an elite talent. Zero. While the talent was increasing in the Brewers system it wasnt of elite players. And yes you can theoretically win a world series with no elite players, but that's a huge handicap for a team. I want to see them adding elite talent (the anti-Ray talent)...

I've haven't done a very good job convincing people of how different playoff baseball truly is, what appears random really isn't. Being on a roll matters, but not as much as the match-ups do.

The appearance of randomness is the over-reliance on W/L as the only indicator of talent. Baseball and Football are both different from Hockey/Basketball in that the teams that get into the playoffs are much closer in talent level for baseball and football than other sports because of the restricted number of seeds. Hence there are significantly more "last" team to champion examples for both sports compared to BBall/Hockey as the last teams are still very good teams. The 2008 brewers had their string of luck getting into the playoff riding an unprecedented SP win streak and an unprecedented Mets collapse. The phillies were clearly much better than the Brewers and maybe if CC started every game the Brewers might have had a chance...

Will having such a highly rated system, and having shown we know how to build it, help with our courtships of favorable affilliates?

While most of society suffers from ADD, most successful business men (those that have the money to own a minor league team) don't have ADD and won't let a little bit of rankings bragging affect their assessment of the Brewers as a partner. Its going to take more than a few highly ranked classes to overcome their horrible reputation.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The 2008 brewers had their string of luck getting into the playoff riding an unprecedented SP win streak and an unprecedented Mets collapse. The phillies were clearly much better than the Brewers and maybe if CC started every game the Brewers might have had a chance...

Clearly

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived