Brewer Fanatic

Orlando Arcia called up

ELCABALLO45
I like the move. If Arcia truly is the player people expect him to be, 2023 won't matter as they will sign him to a long term contract.

I've stated before that Perez is not a starter. He's been hot as of late but again with no walks. His slumps will be atrocious because he doesn't figure out a way to get on base. He'll get plenty of opportunities in the OF and 2B. Maybe Flores won't get as much playing time

Not every good player takes a lot of walks. Perez is a run producer not a table setter though he's more than doubled his walk rate over last year. He's walked 4 times in the last 2 weeks. That part of his game will improve. He's got one RBI every 5.57 AB. Braun has one every 7.04 AB. Carter has one every 5.92 AB.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think people also have too high of expectations as to what Arcia will be offensively. He's not going to be a Braun with the bat. But he's going to be one of the best defensive players we've had in a real long time.

I agree. 6-7 years from now he might very well be on the decline as a MI. He's a nice player but I don't think he's a game changer. Who's to say he didn't earn a promotion? If they view him as a .260-.270 hitter with some speed and modest power then he's ready. MLB experience is required at some point to progress. That said, I'm suprised, :)

They didn't do this to appease fans. C'mon you guys, get serious. They're looking at a picture bigger than that.

It is entirely possible that one of the factors is appeasing the biggest fan, Mark A .... and that is OK. I'm sure there were many many pros and cons they looked at and ultimately they want to see if he'll be ready to be our SS on Opening Day 2017

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not every good player takes a lot of walks. Perez is a run producer not a table setter though he's more than doubled his walk rate over last year. He's walked 4 times in the last 2 weeks. That part of his game will improve. He's got one RBI every 5.57 AB. Braun has one every 7.04 AB. Carter has one every 5.92 AB.

I know you have been a big cheerleader of this guy and I've teetered being there with you. It's been great to see him with the success this year; playing multiple positions well, hitting a few homers, knocking in guys, and stealing bases BUT he still hasn't learned plate discipline. This will drive his worth down every time. I'm hoping he continues to get regular at bats to either figure that out or show that he's a utility guy only. Then we know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To be fair I don't think Arcia will sign a long term contract with the Brewers. The way Stearns likes to load up on athletic middle of the field players i think we will always have a SS of the future in waiting and Arcia will be traded down the line. I'd just like that trade to come a year later than it might now.

Not sure why this isn't the automatic thought of those who are up in arms about Arcia's service time clock starting 1/2 a season earlier than the ideal rebuild plan - lower levels of the system are being engorged with SS/MIF prospects since Stearns took over, and Arcia was part of the Brewer organization pre-Stearns. From the long game perspective, Stearns may want to bring him up to get him established as the Brewers' everyday SS, with two potential outcomes:

1. if he blossoms and becomes a star the Brewers want to keep around beyond 2022-23 they'll find a way to get a manageable contract that makes him a Brewer through his prime years. The current MLB roster basically has Braun's contract obligations, but nothing else longterm to worry about - there will be plenty of money to keep Arcia around through his early 30's if his performance warrants it.

2. if he turns into an above-average player with great defense and a serviceable bat for a SS (most likely scenario), Stearns would have a pretty valuable piece to trade a few years down the road when one of the other younger SS prospects may be ready to take Arcia's place.

Also, the years down the road some are so worried about what Arcia would cost are at least 3-4 seasons beyond the time when Stearns would be worrying about a contract extension for himself...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gotta bring the guy up at some point. I'm very aware of control and Super 2 stuff, but if the club thinks he's ready, then go for it.

The bad part - I'm planning on going to the game in Colorado Springs on Wednesday. Just missed Arcia.

I don't see this being done in any way to appease any fans. I don't think the average fan knows much, if anything, about Arcia and they aren't trying to sell tickets this year, as that is basically done already. Seeing Arcia is not going to drive any walk-ups.

I've heard a couple reports on Arcia this year that talked about him having bad body language and not acting very engaged in the games in Colorado Springs. So, if true, maybe the Brewers just felt it was time to challenge him, give him a couple months around the big league group, and get him more engaged in the game again.

(For those wanting sources for the reports, I don't have them. I think I read one on Baseball Prospectus, another was definitely a Baseball America podcast)

I like the move. If Arcia truly is the player people expect him to be, 2023 won't matter as they will sign him to a long term contract.

I've stated before that Perez is not a starter. He's been hot as of late but again with no walks. His slumps will be atrocious because he doesn't figure out a way to get on base. He'll get plenty of opportunities in the OF and 2B. Maybe Flores won't get as much playing time

If Arcia is the player they think he is, the team just lit 10 million (at least) on fire.

So what? It's their money to light on fire if that's a true statement. They have a plan to get him ready to be the opening day shortstop for the 2017 Mileaukee Brewers. I don't see an issue with that one bit. This might be the first of many moves to establish next years team.

It could come into play if they are hoping to be a contender in 5-6 years and that extra money now cannot be used to add another piece, or if it keeps them from being able to extend Aricia or another player due to budgetary concerns. The Brewers have a lot of financial flexibility now, but they do have a limited budget, so they always need to be wary of "throwing away money."

As I said earlier, I'm excited to see him play, and I'll trust the Brewers to know what's best for player development, but this does seem like odd timing, and I feel Attanasio always has one eye on keeping the fans excited to keep ticket sales from falling. If this is being done because it will help Arcia develop, then great. If it's being done to keep fans excited now, in hopes of not losing ticket sales due to trading Lucroy, then it seems short-sighted. While it may mean the team makes more money, it could hurt the team's long-term performance when we remember that this is a guy who we hope will be a perennial All Star in his prime and we're losing (or paying a lot more for) one of those prime years. On the surface, this seems a lot more like the latter than the former.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It could come into play if they are hoping to be a contender in 5-6 years

I would sure hope they are planning to be a contender by 2022...I don't think Stearns has any intention of turning the Brewers into the MLB equivalent of the 76ers and wearing out his welcome before any big league success starts happening.

This is for the fans. Why not just add a couple bobble head nights instead?? No reason at all to rush Arcia.

I think you're overestimating how many casual fans know who Orlando Arcia is. Don't think the promotion in and of itself sells any appreciable number of extra seats this year. If he hits .400, people will buy more tickets and it is clear promoting him was the right call in the first place. If he hits .200, most people will remain oblivious and not buy the tickets they weren't buying anyway.

I think this is first and foremost a baseball move. Let the big league coaches work with him, let's see what the Brewers have, and people here are happier because Ramon Flores gets less playing time.

Ya, your casual Packer...I mean Brewer fan really has little clue who Arcia is. And the fact that he's a glove first, light hitting short stop is going to make those fans care even less. He's been getting a good bit of hype and when he comes up and hits .260 with 1 homer the rest of the year those fans will lose interest in him because they won't understand his glove is what make him special.

As for the move itself. I don't get it. Just doesn't make sense to me to bring him up at all this year.

To be fair I don't think Arcia will sign a long term contract with the Brewers. The way Stearns likes to load up on athletic middle of the field players i think we will always have a SS of the future in waiting and Arcia will be traded down the line. I'd just like that trade to come a year later than it might now.

I was just thinking that maybe Stearns likes one of the younger short stops more than Arcia so service time isn't a big deal for him. And hopefully Arcia proves an adequate major leaguer and he can be traded in a couple years. Probably not, but maybe.

I don't know if Isan Diaz can stick at SS, but if he can he's an intriguing prospect because of the power hitting ability. 15 HR's & 26 Doubles through 104 games at age 20 in A ball while hitting .270/350 .... he's only 2-3 years behind Arcia
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The Brewers (likely) just traded what will hopefully be some kind of competitive 2023 year of control for a total dumpster fire year of control. At face value o think the move is bad in my opinion, but it could work out for the Brewers. Can't deny they just gave away a more competitive year of control though. Could really sting in the future.

I know it's crazy but I'd be all about trying to lock Arcia up now with a Rays style extension. Do that then there is no worry about calling him up now vs May of next year.

For what? He and his agent already know he is a long term starter due to his glove. Not like it is likely for him to flame out and not be in the MLB in two years.

When you are the ant in a room full of Elephants, there are several factors in trying to create future leverage in your competition with various other ball clubs.

This could, in part be "see? We aren't like the Cubs who kept Bryant down unnecessarily. We are a player friendly organization." I expect the Brewers to try to be big players in International Signings in the next few years. There was the perception of a damaged reputation after the way the franchise treated Hardy that is in the process of being repaired.

Every move Stearns makes effects 5 or 6 other moves. This is not at all as simple as Arcia's service time or his preparation for 2017. Gotta think mega-huge picture here

And again I sense that Stearns really likes Diaz. Diaz was the 1st big prospect that he traded for. And he hasn't disappointed

The timing of this is mostly PR, coming on the heels of the trading of a very popular player, and the surrendering of two quality bullpen arms. Lets face it, competing in the coming weeks with this club against the loaded Cubs could get ugly. I'm sure management wanted fans at least getting a glimpse of what it hopes will be a cornerstone player. I would be shocked if Hader is not up here to start one game of the doubleheader in Chicago, and then pitch out of the pen or take the occasional start.

I don't know if Isan Diaz can stick at SS, but if he can he's an intriguing prospect because of the power hitting ability. 15 HR's & 26 Doubles through 104 games at age 20 in A ball while hitting .270/350 .... he's only 2-3 years behind Arcia

Diaz has been moved to primarily 2B for the t-rats, just sayin...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There's no way casual fans care about this. They don't know Arcia, and as someone pointed out, he's a glove-first guy. Maybe they're going for a narrative like "yeah, we keep trading away our stars for minor leaguers, but see -- they eventually become major leaguers." But I don't even see that. The idea that they would do this to sell tickets seems very unlikely.

I think it's a baseball move. I like the point someone made above that this gives Coles a chance to work with him. This also starts to form the team we hope to put on the field when we're good again. They want to get Arcia some experience so that he's settled in by 2018. They want to see if Villar works as the everyday 3b. Perez has done a nice job, but right now he's a utility player on a good team, and I imagine they'll move him around the diamond.

I'm all for the tear-down and rebuild, but part of a rebuild is building. I imagine the FO has a pretty detailed plan about how to put the major league pieces together to field a competitive team in (I'm guessing here) 2018 or 2019. If that's at all right, then it makes sense to take the first steps now in putting that team together.

Archived