Brewer Fanatic

Orlando Arcia called up

ELCABALLO45
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they want to give him some ABs to get ready for next year.

"The thinking is, it's time to get him started," said manager Craig Counsell, who earlier in the day bid adieu to catcher Jonathan Lucroy and relievers Jeremy Jeffress and Will Smith after they were traded in two separate deadline-day deals.

"It's as much as that. We've still got (58) games left, a good chunk of the season left, and we're hopeful it gives him good experience going into next year.

"I think it's a little shot in the arm for us, a little boost for us, as well."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2016/08/02/top-prospect-orlando-arcia-join-brewers-tuesday/87944900/

Since the super 2 deadline has passed, how will this move eat more service time than his callup in September?

He shouldn't have been called up in September either.

I don't like the callup. He has been hitting poorly in AAA. If the plan was to have him as the starting SS Opening Day next year this really doesn't effect anything. Personally I would have left him down until late May ir June of next year unless he was hitting well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Since the super 2 deadline has passed, how will this move eat more service time than his callup in September?

He shouldn't have been called up in September either.

I don't like the callup. He has been hitting poorly in AAA. If the plan was to have him as the starting SS Opening Day next year this really doesn't effect anything. Personally I would have left him down until late May ir June of next year unless he was hitting well.

Yep by calling him up now instead of next May, the Brewers just traded Arcia's age 21 season (to play on a terrible team) for his age 29 season. Yes he could be shuttled back and forth next year but that would just prove he was brought up too early anyway.

Super-two is only about money. The Brewers have that if they want to spend it.

The issue is the possibility of extending team control through 2023. Waiting until late April of next year to bring him up would have accomplished that.

I echo Toby's statement that the casual fan isn't likely to have heard of him. But I do think that many casual fans understand the concept of the rebuild.

I don't think this move has anything directly to do with fans. I think the Brewers are calling him up because they think it's best for his development at this point despite the fact that his hitting hasn't exactly screamed for a promotion.

I'd have opted to wait until late April. Or as an option, he could have been given a look-see in September and called up again in May. Either of those scenarios would have given the Brewers the extra year of service.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd have opted to wait until late April. Or as an option, he could have been given a look-see in September and called up again in May. Either of those scenarios would have given the Brewers the extra year of service.

This is exactly what I would have done. Look see in September, bring up fulltime in May. Throwing away a year of Arcia with the Brewers.

The only benefits to this, that I see, is we will definitely know how Villar and Perez will do at 3B and OF after they play those positions basically the last two months of the season.

Though many casual fans may not know Arcia enough to buy tickets, but when they watch the telecast they will be told over and over again how he is the next wave of guys to bring the Brewers back to winning ballgames. So I do think it is a move to keep fans happy.

Arcia in the last 28 days: .287/.340/.483 w/ 2 HR's and 9 Doubles. Considering the Gold Glove defense, I would consider him ready for the challenges and experience of MLB
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I dont understand how this is a PR move. This regime does not seem to operate in that fashion. If the kid was scheduled to be our opening day starter next year, then super 2 and extra years of control are completely moot.

Think of it this way. If he comes up for two months and lights the world on fire, then great, its a great springboard into next spring at no extra cost.

If he comes up for two months and is overmatched and hits a .196, then he starts in AAA next year and maybe doesnt come up until July 1, thereby getting back that extra year anyway.

Im pretty sure Stearns is aware of service time, arby clocks, free agency, etc. and I highly doubt he is sacrificing any of that to appease Joe Lunchbucket who has most likely never heard of Orlanda Arcia before the starting lineups are announced.

Chill out everyone.

For the aforementioned service time issues, I wouldn't have done this. He hasn't hit well enough at AAA to force the issue, and Villar has been fine at SS. We could easily justify waiting until a month or so into next year to make the call, but since the Brewers did it, I'm excited to see how he performs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I like the move. If Arcia truly is the player people expect him to be, 2023 won't matter as they will sign him to a long term contract.

I've stated before that Perez is not a starter. He's been hot as of late but again with no walks. His slumps will be atrocious because he doesn't figure out a way to get on base. He'll get plenty of opportunities in the OF and 2B. Maybe Flores won't get as much playing time

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like the move. If Arcia truly is the player people expect him to be, 2023 won't matter as they will sign him to a long term contract.

I've stated before that Perez is not a starter. He's been hot as of late but again with no walks. His slumps will be atrocious because he doesn't figure out a way to get on base. He'll get plenty of opportunities in the OF and 2B. Maybe Flores won't get as much playing time

If Arcia is the player they think he is, the team just lit 10 million (at least) on fire.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Feel bad for Perez. Would really have liked to see him play 3B for a month. I guess they view him as a super utility guy that plays Inf. & OF.

I'm guessing Perez is the regular RF for now, and that if he ever gets healthy Santana is going to have to win that job back. Wouldn't shock me to see Villar traded in the offseason either.

If Arcia is the player they think he is, the team just lit 10 million (at least) on fire.

So what? It's their money to light on fire if that's a true statement. They have a plan to get him ready to be the opening day shortstop for the 2017 Mileaukee Brewers. I don't see an issue with that one bit. This might be the first of many moves to establish next years team.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If he's going to be the starting SS in 2017, I totally get this from a development standpoint. Let him get his first taste of the bigs and let him hit the ground running next year. That said, like many others have pointed out, its not like he's been dominating AAA and service time is an important consideration for a team like the Brewers. I'm excited to see him either way.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Seems unnecessarily hasty. From starting service time, to Arcia being underwhelming in AAA but just 21, to committing Villar to third and Perez to a utility role. It seemed like the direction eventually, though with the luxury of time it's strange that it's being done now.

They might be lighting money on fire, but these are pretty smart people in charge of said money. Eventually you have to call prospects up, and if the scouting said that Arcia was ready to make the jump, then you call him up. The Brewers are trying to develop players to be contribute to the next Brewers' playoff run, not trying to manage the 2022 roster. Baseball is way too fluid to put too much emphasis on what will happen 6-7 years from now.

I think people also have too high of expectations as to what Arcia will be offensively. He's not going to be a Braun with the bat. But he's going to be one of the best defensive players we've had in a real long time.

To be fair I don't think Arcia will sign a long term contract with the Brewers. The way Stearns likes to load up on athletic middle of the field players i think we will always have a SS of the future in waiting and Arcia will be traded down the line. I'd just like that trade to come a year later than it might now.

Archived