Brewer Fanatic

Orlando Arcia called up

ELCABALLO45

Very encouraging that Arcia has steadily improved at the plate. Up to .650 now, and if he can finish like he's been hitting the last couple weeks, he should be able to hit .700 by the end of they year.

Is that great? No, but I will be thrilled if he can do that after the rough start he had. I was really starting to wonder if he would be able to get much above Mendoza this season, and we would all be hanging our hat on "he's still so young."

Probably the most impressive (surprising) thing is he's been walking a lot.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first 17 games arcia hit .156/.239/.443

last 16 games Arcia is hitting .300/386/926

looks like he hit a groove right around the colorado series

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I really think this shows why the Brewers brought him up early. It seems pretty clear that they wanted to know if he could adjust to the majors and be the opening day shortstop or if they needed a plan B for next year. If he had started next year batting .156, he may have been sent down before he could make the adjustments, and it would likely lead to the Brewers getting off to another slow start. Better to get the adjustment period out of the way when the season is already lost and there is no pressure.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was noticing Arcia's walk rate (and being pleased by it). This team certainly has worked for walks this year. Carter, Broxton, Villar, Santana, Nieuwenhuis, Maldonado, Arcia, Elmore - they've all got walk rates of more than 10%. Even guys like Aaron Hill and Ramon Flores had 10%+ walk rates. Last year we had 3 players with 10% or better walk rates. This year we have around 10. And guys like Scooter and Perez have improved quite a bit in their rates. Some of these guys have always walked well, while others are improving on their rates. We have the 2nd most walks in all of baseball.

Hopefully guys like Arcia are learning from this. I'm not sure if 'taking a walk' is contagious. But I wonder if the philosophy of working more pitches (whether said or unsaid) spreads to players who don't walk as much. Of course, we strike out a ton as well - a byproduct of taking so many pitches. But that's another story.

I really think this shows why the Brewers brought him up early. It seems pretty clear that they wanted to know if he could adjust to the majors and be the opening day shortstop or if they needed a plan B for next year. If he had started next year batting .156, he may have been sent down before he could make the adjustments, and it would likely lead to the Brewers getting off to another slow start. Better to get the adjustment period out of the way when the season is already lost and there is no pressure.

JJ Hardy batted .180 his first 60 games (130 PA's) in the pros. Hardy and Arcia have very similar statistics in the minors. I'm sure Arcia will be just fine. Gotta work the rough edges out at some point. Might as well be at the end of a nothing season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Very encouraging that Arcia has steadily improved at the plate. Up to .650 now, and if he can finish like he's been hitting the last couple weeks, he should be able to hit .700 by the end of they year.

Is that great? No, but I will be thrilled if he can do that after the rough start he had. I was really starting to wonder if he would be able to get much above Mendoza this season, and we would all be hanging our hat on "he's still so young."

Not meaning this in a condescending way at all, but one of the reasons he's projected to be a solid big-league bat & not just a no-hit all-field SS is that his BB & K rates were good the whole way through MiLB. They declined in AA & AAA, but that's to be expected when you're quite young at both levels. He's a very talented batter.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not meaning this in a condescending way at all, but one of the reasons he's projected to be a solid big-league bat & not just a no-hit all-field SS is that his BB & K rates were good the whole way through MiLB. They declined in AA & AAA, but that's to be expected when you're quite young at both levels. He's a very talented batter.

No offense taken. His walk rate was 5% in AA and 6% in AAA. Hes at 10% so far in MLB, so I'll stand by my impressive/ surprising comment. He really has been more of a free swinger the last couple years.

No offense taken. His walk rate was 5% in AA and 6% in AAA. Hes at 10% so far in MLB, so I'll stand by my impressive/ surprising comment. He really has been more of a free swinger the last couple years.

Yeah. My guess is that was a product of being pushed to the advanced levels, as opposed to the decline in the rates being predictive or descriptive of a change in his makeup as a batter. Not saying I saw his improved BB rate in the bigs coming, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived