Brewer Fanatic

2018 Roster Best Guesses?

MoreTrife

Surprised so many think Guerra will be in 2018 rotation. Not impossible, but really hard to see that happening. Nelson, Davies, Hader are givens barring injury or trade.

Remaining two? I'll go with Woodruff and Wilkerson. But Anderson, Suter, Lopez, Ortiz, Ponce, and Wang are all possible.

Surprised so many think Guerra will be in 2018 rotation. Not impossible, but really hard to see that happening...

Without question Guerra has been helped by Lucroy's catching this season, which is a thing of the past. His peripherals, per Fangraphs, are 4.17 xfip, .242 babip (.297 league avg this season), and a microscopic 8.6% hr/fb rate, which is factored into the xfip, but is flat out unsustainable at Miller Park. So is his 77.1% left on base percentage. His 3.10 walks per 9 ip ranks 31st worst out of 95 qualified SPs.

We could do (and have done) a lot worse than Guerra, so I'm not trying to knock the guy. But, let's all realize he's no building block for the future. Even if he were, the guy turns 32 in January.

When it comes to the 2018 payroll and spending money you can't forget about future arbitration salaries. Not 2018 arbitration, but the following years. We won't have anywhere near $70mil to spend...probably more like half that figure. Which to be fair is still a lot of money for a team like us.

Didn't forget them at all. I started to do a "best guess" group with potential salaries, and the number comes to below $30M. Garza will be gone, and Braun is the only big salary on the team. Carter (if he's still around) will be the only guy past year 2 arby. Most of the arby guys aren't likely to be big money guys in arbitration, and any extensions we may do (i.e. early extensions to guys like Arcia or Brinson) would still be in the cheap years.

If they choose to go that route, I think we should be able to extend some of our star prospects and sign a big name FA or two. Whether we will or not probably depends on how everyone progresses over the rest of this year and next. I fully believe that if Attanasio thinks we could have a shot at being good, he would not hesitate for a second to get in on a big money FA or two.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

C- Susac

1B-Braun - make room for OF prospects

2B-Villar- Isan Diaz maybe pushing Villar to super sub

3B-Moustakas - F.A.

SS-Arcia

LF-Phillips

CF- Brinson

RF - Santana - could be traded mid season to make a spot for Ray

Bench:

Maldonado

Perez