Brewer Fanatic

Who Clears Waivers?

gregmag
I could be dead wrong, but I thought it was customary for teams to put virtually everyone on waivers each year? We never hear about it really, because it's just procedural move.

that's correct, we're discussing who might make it all the way through without being claimed by another team. So, assume Arcia is put on waivers---he gets claimed immediately by the Braves. garza on the other hand gets claimed by no one, and therefore has cleared waivers and can be traded to any team in the league. If a guy gets claimed, he can be: given to the claiming team, traded to the claiming team, or pulled back by the Brewers.

Thanks! I scanned comments too quickly, thought the subject was "who should they expose to waivers." My bad.

The only real strategy is when to expose players. Placing a guy on waivers on the right day can increase his chances of clearing. Of course, that mainly involves making a good guess.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd put Garza as the first player on waivers tomorrow. Try to get him through right away because if he strings together a few games like he did on Sunday, or if injuries take out a few starters on contenders, he could very well be claimed. You want him through so he can be traded to anyone which will increase whatever return then can get. If it's just one team the Brewers have less leverage.

Garza???? Claimed? Ha! What team takes on that salary? We would dump him sooooo fast!

Bad contracts start looking not so bad as they near their end. If Matt pitches well over a few starts, a team might feel it's worth the monetary commitment to grab him. The financials are much better now than they were at the beginning of the season. I think that what LouisEly suggests is certainly plausible.

Still, I think the more likely scenario is that Matt clears and the Brewers trade him while picking up some of the money. The most likely scenario is that he stays put.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The only real strategy is when to expose players. Placing a guy on waivers on the right day can increase his chances of clearing. Of course, that mainly involves making a good guess.

There is strategy. The higher salary guys and injured guys you put through right away - Garza, Braun - reducing the chance that they will be claimed. You hope that a need develops (injury to starter on contender) that will inflate demand later, and 3-4 weeks of less salary makes a difference. For someone such as Garza, it's ~$2M less at the end of August than the beginning.

If a starter gets injured and that team has no SP depth in the upper minors (or innings limits on top prospect), they won't have many options. Do you claim/trade for Ian Kennedy who is owed ~$64M, or James Shields who has 2/$44M left (Chicago may or may not offer the cash that SD sent them), or Garza who will likely be 2/$17.5M? Suddenly Garza doesn't look so bad.

The lower salary guys who you are open to trading you wait. See what happens in the market, and if you sense a need developing you put him out there. Low salary guys are going to be claimed; you have to wait for the demand to increase though to increase the chance that a team will offer a good trade if you threaten to pull him back.

Theyll put everyone on waivers IMO and see if anything can get done. Someone may get desperate and take Garza from us but theres no reason to believe we cant work out moves with some of the other guys. Torres, Boyer, Carter, Kirk, Flores, Maldy, and hell even Anderson could be guys dealt. We did get Blazek for Ax so its possible.

I think Garza clears.

Braun would not but it might be an interesting case to see who claims him and if they'd have any real interest.

I think you're underestimating the desire of most GMs to assume the risk of picking up a contract that large on a player in his 30s with injury and PED concerns - even a productive one.

If there was a team wiling to pick up Braun's entire contract right now, I think we would have seen a lot more chatter about a Braun trade before the deadline. I don't think teams are hesitant to give prospects for Braun, I think they're hesitant to commit to a contract for a player like him through 2020.

I know we've been adamant that we're not interested in dumping Braun strictly for salary relief, but any team claiming him risks us re-evaluating the situation, considering his age and injuries and the many outfielders in our pipeline, and saying, 'We're out. We'd rather have the financial flexibility than be paying Braun 20M when he's 36.' Teams say stuff all the time. It doesn't mean much.

They'd owe Braun every dime left on his contract. I don't think any team would risk that. I'd bet a lot that he'd clear.

I think Garza clears.

Braun would not but it might be an interesting case to see who claims him and if they'd have any real interest.

I think you're underestimating the desire of most GMs to assume the risk of picking up a contract that large on a player in his 30s with injury and PED concerns - even a productive one.

If there was a team wiling to pick up Braun's entire contract right now, I think we would have seen a lot more chatter about a Braun trade before the deadline. I don't think teams are hesitant to give prospects for Braun, I think they're hesitant to commit to a contract for a player like him through 2020.

I know we've been adamant that we're not interested in dumping Braun strictly for salary relief, but any team claiming him risks us re-evaluating the situation, considering his age and injuries and the many outfielders in our pipeline, and saying, 'We're out. We'd rather have the financial flexibility than be paying Braun 20M when he's 36.' Teams say stuff all the time. It doesn't mean much.

They'd owe Braun every dime left on his contract. I don't think any team would risk that. I'd bet a lot that he'd clear.

Remember when Alex Rios got claimed and they just let Chicago take that contract. I wouldnt be surprised.

Rios was a big one when that happened. I believe a few years ago after we traded for Segura, Izturis was claimed by someone in August and we just let him walk.

Yah Kirk/Boyer could be guys that get claimed and we just let walk. Could save a few pennies just letting them leave if someone wants them.

I don't think Thornburg will get very far before being claimed... like, past Atlanta, much less Cincinnati.

The options are a) a team claims a Brewers player, and the Brewers say they will pull the player back unless the other team offers up something in trade, or b) the players pass through waivers, and then can be traded to anyone.

I'd put Garza as the first player on waivers tomorrow. Try to get him through right away because if he strings together a few games like he did on Sunday, or if injuries take out a few starters on contenders, he could very well be claimed. You want him through so he can be traded to anyone which will increase whatever return then can get. If it's just one team the Brewers have less leverage.

Why would we want to get Garza through waivers? On the crazy chance somebody claimed him, we would let him go and run through the streets yelling 'I'm free! I'm free!'

If we tried to dare negotiate with whoever claimed him, and we asked what they would give us, they'd say 'Absolutely nothing, because there's no way you'll pull him back.' And they'd be right.

Braun and Garza will almost certainly clear. Braun has played well but teams just dont risk picking up $80M unless its someone very special, who wouldnt be put on waivers anyhow.

I cant see any of our bullpen guys clearing. They have been too good, are too cheap, and the market is insane for them.

Archived