Brewer Fanatic

Who Clears Waivers?

gregmag

Okay: We traded some guys, but we didn't trade more guys. Who's a candidate for a post-waiver trade?

I assume Braun clears waivers because of his salary, though I don't think the market is there for us to trade him. Garza flies through waivers, but no one will want him.

Carter? Boyer? Torres? Newhouse (I can't spell it the Dutch way; I just can't)?

Okay: We traded some guys, but we didn't trade more guys. Who's a candidate for a post-waiver trade?

I assume Braun clears waivers because of his salary, though I don't think the market is there for us to trade him. Garza flies through waivers, but no one will want him.

Carter? Boyer? Torres? Newhouse (I can't spell it the Dutch way; I just can't)?

Because all of our guys other than Braun and Garza aren't on contracts that extend beyond this season, those two might be the only ones with attractive value that will slip through revocable waivers. And even then I'm not so sure that someone won't claim Braun.

Gruber Lawffices

Newhouse (I can't spell it the Dutch way; I just can't)

I've always thought Carlos Villanueva and Nieuwenhuis should get together with Tucker Neuhaus and former Packer Marshall Newhouse and do...well, what exactly I'm not sure.

We don't have many waiver opportunities aside from Garza and Braun I don't think, and neither of those guys are likely trade candidates unless Garza has a run of not-awfulness. Most everyone else is on a dirt cheap contract and unlikely to pass through waivers.

I don't think Thornburg will get very far before being claimed... like, past Atlanta, much less Cincinnati.

The options are a) a team claims a Brewers player, and the Brewers say they will pull the player back unless the other team offers up something in trade, or b) the players pass through waivers, and then can be traded to anyone.

I'd put Garza as the first player on waivers tomorrow. Try to get him through right away because if he strings together a few games like he did on Sunday, or if injuries take out a few starters on contenders, he could very well be claimed. You want him through so he can be traded to anyone which will increase whatever return then can get. If it's just one team the Brewers have less leverage.

I'm not sure that Carter and Thornburg would clear waivers. I would think it'd be tougher to get guys through if they were controllable and relatively inexpensive.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thornburg wouldn't get past the first team in waivers. He's good and he's cheap - no way he gets through.

Generally the guys who get through either aren't very good or are expensive (often times both - Garza, we're looking at you).

Braun would be an interesting case, but someone would likely take him. He's too good.

Thornburg wouldn't get past the first team in waivers. He's good and he's cheap - no way he gets through.

Generally the guys who get through either aren't very good or are expensive (often times both - Garza, we're looking at you).

Braun would be an interesting case, but someone would likely take him. He's too good.

I personally think Braun will clear. A team doesn't want to get their bluff called and be saddled with 80 million unexpectedly. It seems like there used to be more of a gentlemen's agreement to let non-obvious players slide through, but that doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore.

It seems like there used to be more of a gentlemen's agreement to let non-obvious players slide through, but that doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore.

I think the Diamondbacks disposed of the gentleman's agreement after the 1998 expansion.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't think Thornburg will get very far before being claimed... like, past Atlanta, much less Cincinnati.

The options are a) a team claims a Brewers player, and the Brewers say they will pull the player back unless the other team offers up something in trade, or b) the players pass through waivers, and then can be traded to anyone.

I'd put Garza as the first player on waivers tomorrow. Try to get him through right away because if he strings together a few games like he did on Sunday, or if injuries take out a few starters on contenders, he could very well be claimed. You want him through so he can be traded to anyone which will increase whatever return then can get. If it's just one team the Brewers have less leverage.

Who cares if someone claims Garza? Let him go and save $12.5 million plus whatever he's owed for the rest of this year. I can think of over 15 million reasons why he won't be claimed.

yeah I read that wrong. Meant that Thornburg seems like a candidate for a waiver wire trade

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Nobody would that I can think of. Wily Peralta?

Garza is an obvious thought, but my thought is the Braves would claim him. They are looking to speed up their rebuild as evidence of Lucroy interest. Garza would be a chance to have that occur. A 2month run like Miller's season long run would create a lot of trade potential for them. And if not, they have a Vet to log some innings.

Braun too wouldn't get past Atlanta. They had some interest in Braun but short lived.

Boyer, Torres, and Marinez..

they might not clear, but you can always make a trade with the team that claims them

Martin Maldonado. He will clear, and even if his d is pretty good, he otherwise sucks and so he should clear

Garza, obviously clears

I had a dream last night that the Blue Jays claimed Garza. Oh please let this happen.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braves are only committed to <$60M for next season at this point including Kemp. Braun's salary and commitment (4/$80M) would be nothing that would restrict them financially. To have a chance to get an impact bat such as Braun without having to give up prospects would be too good of an opportunity for ATL to pass up. I highly doubt Braun gets past ATL.

The Reds only are committed to $66.5M at this point for 2017 with only one year left on Phillips' deal. I doubt they would pass on Braun either. Very slim chance Braun makes it past both ATL and CIN.

Even if Braun's contract is an inhibitor (which I really don't think it is), they could claim Braun, eat some of his contract, and flip him for a haul of prospects, improving the talent level of the organization.

Would relievers like Boyer and Torres clear? I doubt that any of the rebuilding teams would want them, but maybe one of the contenders would put in a claim. If they want to trade for them I suppose that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'd love to get rid of a few of the players that are performing well but won't be around next year for some prospects in the low minors with upside.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

With Boyer, Torres, and Nieuwenhuis, their salaries are so low that by this point in the season claiming them only means a couple hundred thousand added on to the payroll. If they want them they will claim them and not let them pass then trade for them.

Garza will of course...maybe a guy like Boyer if anyone even wants him. Honestly that might be it. I don't think there is any chance Braun would go unclaimed. Not sure the Braves would do it after getting Kemp though I guess they are a good option. I am sure many teams would take Braun for his contract only.

Only players not getting claimed will be Garza or players who no one wants.

Braves are only committed to <$60M for next season at this point including Kemp. Braun's salary and commitment (4/$80M) would be nothing that would restrict them financially. To have a chance to get an impact bat such as Braun without having to give up prospects would be too good of an opportunity for ATL to pass up. I highly doubt Braun gets past ATL.

The Reds only are committed to $66.5M at this point for 2017 with only one year left on Phillips' deal. I doubt they would pass on Braun either. Very slim chance Braun makes it past both ATL and CIN.

Even if Braun's contract is an inhibitor (which I really don't think it is), they could claim Braun, eat some of his contract, and flip him for a haul of prospects, improving the talent level of the organization.

Atlanta I could see, as they seem to be the team most likely to look at a Braun claim as potential to spend some money to flip for prospects. That said, claiming Braun would put them at $70 million committed for next year, but only 7 players taking up that amount. Seems like they'd lose a lot of financial flexibility by making a move like that and be looking at an OF of Markakis, Kemp, and Braun. Granted, they could simply eat a chunk of money and dump 1 of them, but bringing in Braun at nearly $20 million, then dumping Markakis and eating $11 million wouldn't make a lot of sense financially.

Or maybe they're going to move Kemp back to CF.

Anyway, I just really doubt Braun gets claimed by anyone.

I could be dead wrong, but I thought it was customary for teams to put virtually everyone on waivers each year? We never hear about it really, because it's just procedural move.

that's correct, we're discussing who might make it all the way through without being claimed by another team. So, assume Arcia is put on waivers---he gets claimed immediately by the Braves. garza on the other hand gets claimed by no one, and therefore has cleared waivers and can be traded to any team in the league. If a guy gets claimed, he can be: given to the claiming team, traded to the claiming team, or pulled back by the Brewers.

Archived