Brewer Fanatic

Goforth recalled, Pina's contract purchased, one move pending

And That
At the end of the season, the 60-day DL won't be available, and you're going to need the 40-man roster spots again. So depending on the individual you're thinking about adding, that might be a consideration.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

the roster is currently at 39. if at 40, domingo santana could likely be transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot.

So could Houser. So there is plenty of room. I assume there is advantages to not automatically throwing players on the 60 man DL unless you absolutely need their spot, but I forget what they are.

when a player is put on the 60-day disabled list, he earns major league pay and accrues major league service time. the brewers anticipated doing this with santana for all of 2016. the brewers likely did not intend for houser to accrue up to two months' pay and service time without him being able to help the club win.

it should be noted that yhonathan barrios (on the 60-day dl all season) will earn a year of major league service time and a year of big league pay--all without ever being on the club's 25-man roster. that's an oft-overlooked cost to add the likes of a blaine boyer or chris capuano at the end of spring training.

i am assuming that if houser were placed on the 60-day disabled list in september, he would only receive major league pay for the number of days spent on the 60-day disabled list until either activated and returned to the 40-man roster after the season ends, or activated and outrighted--not a full 60 days' pay.

thus, there's likely an advantage to delay transferring houser to the 60-day disabled list.

I just don't get Goforth's appeal. He has never put up impressive numbers. He has only posted one good ERA in relief, last year at AAA, but his peripherals stunk as usual. He's already 27. He has no physical traits that suggest any breakout capacity. Right now I'm not sure he's one of our eight best relievers. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but if he can't, I hope this is the last we'll see of him.

Archived