Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That

Food for thought guys:

This was our last chance to get players like Brinson/Ortiz in a trade. We can get high ceiling low minors prospects all day long. But to get a Brinson and Ortiz? We had to package 2 amazing players together.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC Jeffress was self-medicating for a condition -- anxiety? -- for which he wasn't getting proper treatment. IIRC Agent39 had the story. You can make whatever moral / ethical judgments you want about that scenario, but if it's accurate (I'm being very careful here because I'm going from hazy memory), we have good reason to think the problem is firmly in his past.

It was symptoms caused by epilepsy that hadn't been diagnosed. I think the doctors finally figured out what was going on when he was with the Jays organization.

Yes! Now I remember. Thank you!

Another exciting trade, although I have to believe another player (as reported, but maybe even 2) have yet to be announced. I'm guessing that was a "rush to the podium" type of deal to make that trade happen. Brinson and Ortiz is closer to what I would expect for just Lucroy, as others have noted, and I'm also guessing the deal overall will have a similar vibe to the Gomez/Fiers deal from last year when all of the details come out.

Brinson is a very similar prospect to the Cubs' Dexter Fowler, and I too have been a big fan of Luis Ortiz for some time. Not a ton of physical projection, but plenty good stuff as it is with pretty good pitchability/command to boot. Pretty good haul on the day.

It will certainly be interesting to compare the careers of Mejia, Brinson & Gallo in the future

Brinson I see as somewhat like Lorenzo Cain, very raw but with so much potential once it comes together. He has more fluid overall athletic ability than Cain and has already been compared to Mike Cameron defensively.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Texas didn't want to give up Brinson, and the probably wouldn't have traded him if he had been healthy all year and played like he did last year when healthy. I would have to imagine that if Brinson or Ortiz had long-term injury concerns, the Brewers wouldn't have made the deal, so I suspect that once Brinson's fully healthy we will be very happy to have him.

We now have a really strong farm, and many of the prospects will start making their way to the majors in the next year or two. I'm pretty excited about how far along we already are in the rebuild, since it basically started a year ago.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Any idea how soon we'll hear about the PTBNL?

One of Leody Taveras, Ronald Guzman, Pedro Payano would be amazing.

I would prefer Guzman... We have plenty of OF's now.

Depends why they didn't already announce it. Do they want to see some players more or is it because they could not get that last detail out. Could be a week or months.

Probably months since there is no reason to rush. Maybe one guy has TJ surgery in a month and we can make sure not to get him.

Brewers new Top 10 Prospects List:

Orlando Arcia

Josh Hader

Lewis Brinson

Phil Bickford

Trent Clark

Brett Phillips

Luis Ortiz

Gilbert Lara

Jacob Nottingham

Kodi Medieros

Isan Diaz is pissed!

Isan will be thrilled to learn he's still on my top 10.

The return seems slightly light for two all star caliber players, but I suppose a lot hinges on the PTBNL. At least the two prospects are high ranking.

I wonder if it's the type of deal we had with Cleveland for CC years ago. 'Here's the list, if we make it far enough in the playoffs, you pick, if not, we pick.'

Food for thought guys:

This was our last chance to get players like Brinson/Ortiz in a trade. We can get high ceiling low minors prospects all day long. But to get a Brinson and Ortiz? We had to package 2 amazing players together.

No matter how highly ranked, some prospects don't pan out. LaPorta was a top-30 prospect two years in a row. Go back and look at top 50 prospect lists from 6-7 years ago. It's not about 2 highly ranked players vs 1 ranked and 4 lower-level lottery tickets, it's about the fact that X% of ranked prospects don't pan out and that risk needs to be offset by additional quantity.

Luc is one of the most valuable players in the game. Two prospects, no matter how highly ranked, isn't going to do it even if it is just for 1.4 years of service time.

Rangers get : Jonathan Lucroy, Jeremy Jeffress

Brewers get : Joey Gallo, Lewis Brinson, Nomar Mazara, Yohander Mendez

50% of Brewerfan.net -- THIS IS ALL WE GET FOR THESE TWO GUYS?!?!?!?!?!?

Some of you need a reality check. If I recall correctly we acquired (re) Jeffress in the first place via a minor league contract with a fair amount of risk. Lucroy has a year and a half left. This is a very good trade. No, we did not target A prospects, and frankly I prefer it that way. We know what these two (or more) are and have a fairly good idea of their projection, which is a good outlook. These kind of deals can help keep the rebuild on the shorter side of things rather than 5+ years...do you all not like to compete, or is drafting prospects more fun. I know what I prefer.

Between this and the Smith trade Stearns KILLED it on paper. Give the young man some credit for showing the fortitude to hold out until the last minute, and then having the fortitude to pull the trigger when these guy(s) were at MAX value rather than hang onto them into the offseason and pray.

Rangers get : Jonathan Lucroy, Jeremy Jeffress

Brewers get : Joey Gallo, Lewis Brinson, Nomar Mazara, Yohander Mendez

50% of Brewerfan.net -- THIS IS ALL WE GET FOR THESE TWO GUYS?!?!?!?!?!?

Some of you need a reality check. If I recall correctly we acquired (re) Jeffress in the first place via a minor league contract with a fair amount of risk. Lucroy has a year and a half left. This is a very good trade. No, we did not target A prospects, and frankly I prefer it that way. We know what these two (or more) are and have a fairly good idea of their projection, which is a good outlook. These kind of deals can help keep the rebuild on the shorter side of things rather than 5+ years...do you all not like to compete, or is drafting prospects more fun. I know what I prefer.

Between this and the Smith trade Stearns KILLED it on paper. Give the young man some credit for showing the fortitude to hold out until the last minute, and then having the fortitude to pull the trigger when these guy(s) were at MAX value rather than hang onto them into the offseason and pray.

Stop it.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Any idea how soon we'll hear about the PTBNL?

One of Leody Taveras, Ronald Guzman, Pedro Payano would be amazing.

I would prefer Guzman... We have plenty of OF's now.

Agree any would be great. I'd prefer Taveras. He's only 17.

Archived