Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That
  • Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeffress alone should have netted Brinson and Ortiz. There must be more to this deal.

He's 1 more failed drug test away from a lifetime ban. Yes he's good lately, but that has to play in a little bit

I'm pretty sure guys on the 40 man roster are NOT tested for recreational drugs, which is what got Jeffress in trouble in the minors. I fully believe that he's gotten his act together anyways.

That's correct on both counts. But yeah, as long as he's in the MLB, he's groooovy.

I don't think Jeffress had as much value as many here thought. He may have been our closer, but he's not very good against lefties, and that limits his usefulness to most contenders that were considering him.

Wow, can't believe that's it. Should have been able to get this for Lucroy alone or just got the P straight up for Jeffress and kept Lucroy. Seems like we got fleeced as of now.

What makes you say this? Could not be farther from the truth. Did you even see our trade for lucroy to cleveland? We just got the #21 overall and #60 overall prospects (2 and 3 in Texas Farm) for lucroy and jeffress. We werent gonna get anything close to this for lucroy alone

Logic being we got a 60ish guy in the C from Cleveland plus 3 others with it, so assuming the three others equalled the 21 ranked guy. Especially since he's currently hitting .233 in his second stint at AA.

To be honest, a Lucroy and Jeffress deal I thought would have been Gallo, Brinson and maybe a lesser SP. Color me a little underwhelmed, but very happy with this deal versus the Cleveland trade.

They would have just gone for Sale at that point.

Jeffress alone should have netted Brinson and Ortiz. There must be more to this deal.

He's 1 more failed drug test away from a lifetime ban. Yes he's good lately, but that has to play in a little bit

That's simply not true at all.

MLB treats "Drugs of abuse" completely differently than the Minor leagues and it treats marijuana differently from other drugs of abuse as well.

Basically, Jeffress has a clean slate.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/marijuana-and-the-joint-drug-agreement/

As others have noted, the stark differences between the MLB and minor league rules for marijuana use raise the possibility that some minor leaguers could try to openly use marijuana in order to force their teams to promote them to the 40-man roster. While this strategy may not work for ordinary minor leaguers, for top prospects it is not inconceivable that a team would choose to promote a player to the 40-man roster to ensure that the player would only be fined, not suspended, for his marijuana use. Otherwise, the team could see any marijuana-using top prospect sidelined for 50 or more games for a violation of the minor league drug rules.

For instance, Jeff Passan reported last year that Milwaukee placed Jeremy Jeffress on its 40-man roster earlier than necessary in 2010 in order to avoid losing him to a possible lifetime suspension for a third violation of the minor league marijuana rules (Jeffress had already been suspended for 50- and 100-games for earlier violations).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

We need more, if there's not more I want to riot! Again, as what happened with Gallardo, the Rangers will offer a QO to Lucroy after next season. So it's 3 from us for 2 Prospects? Like here you go have Jeffress for free. in my opinion.

Brinson has never excited me. Toolsy but nothing outstanding. Phillips presented more ceiling to me. He dropped with the same kind of year Brinson is having who didn't.

Ortiz I'm thrilled with. That 2 for Lucroy makes sense to me. So nothing for Jeffress, which I thought was to be in high regard in order to be traded away. Nothing isn't that return.

Great, now we are going to have a "Who will be the PTNL" thread that goes on for 197 pages. ;)

coincidentally, the last ptbnl the brewers acquired was Manny pina, in the Krod trade. Who appears to be replacing Lucroy on the roster tonight. Until, i assume, Susac gets there.

Overall trading Smith, Lucroy, Jeffress for (according to Pipeline) #21, #63, #65, plus Susac. All 3 prospects will probably fall in the top 5 for the Brewers. I'll take it, especially after the vetoed trade. Two big time pitching prospects, what everyone wanted, and a potential 30-30 CF. Great day.

Lewis Brinson, elite defensive CF prospect who can flat out fly

2015 Minor League Stats (A, AA & AAA): 456 PA, .332/.403/.601, 20 HR, 69 RBIs, 74 Runs, 18 SB

Down year offensively so far in AA, but still only 22 years old..... very excited to have this guy in the Brewers organization!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't think Jeffress had as much value as many here thought. He may have been our closer, but he's not very good against lefties, and that limits his usefulness to most contenders that were considering him.

Yeah, I can't believe more people aren't acknowledging this.

The Brewers have now dealt Jeffress for a big haul (Greinke the first time) twice.

whatever he's done on the field, that's pretty cool

To be honest, a Lucroy and Jeffress deal I thought would have been Gallo, Brinson and maybe a lesser SP. Color me a little underwhelmed, but very happy with this deal versus the Cleveland trade.

They would have just gone for Sale at that point.

Honestly I think Sale would've cost them Mazara, Gallo, Brinson...and any deal with Mazara was a none starter.

Lot of rankings being thrown around. Per the Baseball America mid-season top prospect rankings (the latest ranking I've seen), these are the numbers:

Brinson #30

Ortiz #74

Bickford #50

And Susac was #88 after the 2014 season...but had 133 ABs in 2015 and does not have prospect status any more (130 MLB rookie ABs takes you off the prospect watch on Baseball America)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived