Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That

I would guess there will be more pieces. Should be announced as soon as Commissioner's office okays it.

Guess this means Thornburg gets the rest of the season to prove himself as a closer, so he can bring us a ridiculous return this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, can't believe that's it. Should have been able to get this for Lucroy alone or just got the P straight up for Jeffress and kept Lucroy. Seems like we got fleeced as of now.

Look at the Cleveland package... Lucroy was not getting this package alone.

Smith is a lefty. That is why they were able to get that kind of return. Jeffress alone would not have commanded that kind of price tag.

I think this is a pretty good deal. We just got a TOR starter and a potentially really good OFer. As always with these deals, potential will be the ultimate jury.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brinson has had a bad year. Ortiz has a bad body. There is definitely risk here. Would have been better off trading Jeffress separately and holding on to Lucroy until the off-season, I think.

I agree both guys have risk. Ortiz just looks really large, especially for someone so young. Brinson was pretty awesome last year, so let's hope something clicks when he joins Milwaukee.

Sheesh. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but how can some of you say it's not enough in return. I hope your not the same group that was disappointed in no "headline" prospects in the Clev. deal. Prospect wise Brinson is pretty elite.

Be happy we just got a TOR starter.

Evan Grant‏ @Evan_P_Grant

Scouts told me Ortiz was one pitcher in Rangers system who was certain to be better than a No. 3 starter

Like I said Ortiz alone is a better offer than the Indians entire package.

Put without Gallo, why Jeffress, I thought the rumor was if Gallo was to be included, a Jeffress or Smith had to be included....Well we included him!

Brinson is a pretty comparable comp value wise. They said they would trade Brinson for anyone but Sale. They would have preferred Gallo a week ago.

Yeah, yesterday the rumors were that the Brewers preferred Brinson to Gallo, but the Rangers would only include him if Jeffress was in the deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would guess there will be more pieces. Should be announced as soon as Commissioner's office okays it.

Guess this means Thornburg gets the rest of the season to prove himself as a closer, so he can bring us a ridiculous return this offseason.

Right, throw in a couple lower level lottery tickets and call it fair enough.

Wow, can't believe that's it. Should have been able to get this for Lucroy alone or just got the P straight up for Jeffress and kept Lucroy. Seems like we got fleeced as of now.

What makes you say this? Could not be farther from the truth. Did you even see our trade for lucroy to cleveland? We just got the #21 overall and #60 overall prospects (2 and 3 in Texas Farm) for lucroy and jeffress. We werent gonna get anything close to this for lucroy alone

Smith = high K/9 (will regain this year)

Chapman = high K/9

Miller = high K/9

Those guys went for a haul

Jeffress OK K/9

Melancon OK K/9

Those guys were throw-ins.

It seems like relievers that can miss bats in the playoffs is what people want. Jeffress' value wasn't nothing, but it doesn't fit the rest of it. I know JJ had good team control, but I think this is a good trade.

Sheesh. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but how can some of you say it's not enough in return. I hope your not the same group that was disappointed in no "headline" prospects in the Clev. deal. Prospect wise Brinson is pretty elite.

I have no problem with Brinson and Ortiz, I love them both and am thrilled the Brewers added them to the farm system. I would have liked to see a couple lower level guys added is all.

Well it sucks not knowing who we might get but hopefully this works out our way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived