Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That
  • Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at the trade like this. We didn't fleece the Rangers and we didn't get fleeced. The PTBNL will move the needle pretty significantly on this deal but it's safe to say this is a mutually benefiical trade. Sure I would have loved to see the Brewers get a enormously huge package for those two, but the market never developed enough to justify an overpay.

Debating Brinson vs. multiple other lower level guys is completely fine. I'm not a huge Brinson fan I always like to see those gaudy minor league numbers which look so pretty, but scouts love him and I can get behind a guy with those kinds of tools.

If Stearns would have made this trade on Sunday I'd maybe say it was a less than ideal trade but he took it up to wire, seemingly trying to drum up as much interest and see if he couldn't get a team to throw out a panic mega offer.

For me Stearns gets a solid B+ / A- for his trade deadline this year. The Texas trade is a solid B minimum with room to grow on that pretty significantly depending on the PTBNL The Giants deal is nothing less than a perfect score A+.

I think that describes most of us - heartbroken and happy. We know how much the Brewers meant to JJ in giving him plenty of chances to succeed; JJ wouldn't be where he is without the Brewers believing in him. I just hope that JJ keeps on trucking and that leaving MIL doesn't negatively affect him professionally or personally.

What I know if that the list of 4 that went to Stearns last night was (in order of priority) 1. Yohander Mendez 2. Ronald Guzman 3. Pedro Payano 4. Ariel Jurado

To clarify, do you know if that's also the PTBNL list?

What I know if that the list of 4 that went to Stearns last night was (in order of priority) 1. Yohander Mendez 2. Ronald Guzman 3. Pedro Payano 4. Ariel Jurado

To clarify, do you know if that's also the PTBNL list?

I was about to ask the same thing. The way I read the original post was that this list was provided to Stearns as priority for who they would want, not necessarily that this was THE list. Any clarity on the subject would be great!

If I told you two days ago that we'd get, in essence, Brinson and PTBNL for Lucroy, my guess is that you'd be underwhelmed. No one would have agreed to that trade from Brewerfan...... None. The consensus was two top 100 guys and change..... Not 1 and change. We all expected more. If you blame the market, so be it, but we didn't have to move him. Even a year from now, I think one team could have given us a similar package ( 1 top 100 prospect) for a few months of Lucroy.

Lucroy was traded to Cleveland and then not. Case closed. He plays with the team, he travels with the team. Why tip our hand by telling everyone in the world that we are NOT ONLY LOOKING to trade him today, but also his bags are packed, he's virtually said his goodbyes, and the team basically has moved on literally and figuratively from him. Even Luc said it would be "awkward" finishing the year in Milwaukee. The Rangers could now play hard ball with us. According to reports, Boy did they. Before the Cleveland trade, no pitcher included with Luc. After, Jeffress is added. Also, the Rangers knew that they could assumingly stand their ground in the last hour because it seemed like we simply were going to get rid of Luc today.

If you want me to give Brinson and Ortiz the A ball gold star stickers, you got it. Brinson and Ortiz get them, no question. Am I not allowed to doubt their potential based on the AA stats, physical appearance, and injury history NOW? A reminder.... We just gave up a year and a half, top 5 catcher and a controllable top 30 reliever. I would expect not only more coming back, but also fewer question marks attached to them.

Again, I hope at least one of them is an AllStar. Otherwise, it would seem we got taken a bit.

If you told me 3 days ago it's Brinson (Top 20) + PTBNL (as in a legit prospect such as Mendez or others ranked around him) for Lucroy I absolutely wouldn't be underwhelmed. I'd be ecstatic. We aren't talking about a Top 75-100. We're talking about a Top 20. There's a difference. And we'll most likely be getting a higher ranked prospect in their system so I wouldn't classify that as "change". But thanks for doing my thinking for me. And the vast majority of people on here had 3-4 Top 100 players coming back from CLE for Lucroy alone. Not 2. If it ends up being a Top 20 + Top 150 guy then great. If it ends up being Top 20 + Mendez (67) then outstanding.

"According to reports" we were taken? What reports? And did those reports include the PTBNL because that person is also involved in this trade?

Finally, you can doubt/criticize players all you want but don't tell anyone on this board your criticism had anything to do with their injury history or performance history because clearly that wasn't factored into your original comments. Your comments were a fat AA pitcher and a 240 AA hitter - insinuating we received nothing of value in return that will help us at the MLB level down the road

New here. I don't like losing Smith. Where does Barnes fit it now?

I think the package for Smith was amazing. Barnes has been a pleasant surprise. I just hope he gets healthy. He will probably get a chacne to be the 7th inning guy if Blazek continues to struggle.

Hopefully it's to decide if they want to offer Nieuwenhuis for Fasola because that would be an awful 3rd piece. Not even an organizational top 30. I hope Fasola has nothing to do with the PTBNL, because he would never be on a list with a prospect like Mendez.

I thought the player could be on the 40, but not on the 25-man MLB roster. I'm not certain on that.

If they make an appearance at any time on the MLB roster between now and the 6 month deadline, that player cannot be the PTBNL. Not sure about the 40 man rule. If they could be on the 40 man, I wonder if Texas would add Mendez to the expanded MLB roster in September to protect him.

Gruber Lawffices

Poor Haudricourt still thinks drafted players can be traded.

I don't blame him. Somehow 90% of this board and half the baseball world overall still doesn't understand this concept.

I would agree. Except that, you know, it's his job.

Poor Haudricourt still thinks drafted players can be traded.

I don't blame him. Somehow 90% of this board and half the baseball world overall still doesn't understand this concept.

Adam McCalvy had it wrong yesterday too - which he admitted after he was corrected. The last I saw, Tom's still not sold.

If you're in the Madison area, Mike Heller, of, "The Mike Heller Show", repeatedly stated Jeremy Jeffress was a free agent at the end of the season.

We're in a new world - the guys with the mic or the pen aren't always the best informed anymore.

If Fasola is one of the options everyone can stop the pipe dreams about anyone major. It is probably just some nothing special player.

This is the quote that has people thinking the player could be good.

'He said parameters were established with the Rangers to allow time for the Brewers to scout certain players in their farm system and make a selection that likely will be another top prospect.

Another top prospect implies a good player

Archived