Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That
I like this trade. I am not sure I like it better than the trade we had in place with Cleveland. It is tough to say what Jeffress' added to the trade or what he would have brought back if added to the Cleveland trade. I would say for sure this one is better but I think I like it.

I'll be watching, but I think that Mejia is trouble. I think we dodged a bullet there.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stearns did not get ripped off. Some have gotten used to volume deals because that's what he's done so far. With depth in the system now he was able to get big time impact players in this deal. All of us will look back fondly on this deal a few years from now

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I like this trade. I am not sure I like it better than the trade we had in place with Cleveland. It is tough to say what Jeffress' added to the trade or what he would have brought back if added to the Cleveland trade. I would say for sure this one is better but I think I like it.

I'll be watching, but I think that Mejia is trouble. I think we dodged a bullet there.

Possibly. All three in that deal looked like they were likely to rise into some top 100 lists next year. Mejia was already around 80 on one list.

Maybe it was the number of players or being kind of bummed out over the veto but I am not as excited about this trade as I should be. Jeffress and Lucroy for two players, albeit highly ranked players, seems like a light return.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And after the Will Smith trade...Stearns gets taken to the cleaners. How the Heck do you trade BOTH Lucroy and Jeffress and not get Gallo included too?? If Stearns had a chance to take him...but another lessor prospect..well...Break this down individually...Will Smith ALONE brought back SF's #1 organizational prospect, PLUS a Catcher..said prospect is rated #63. Now, going one for one..Jeremy Jeffress brought you Ortiz..the #65 prospect. So, all you got for Lucroy was the #21 prospect?? You traded an All Star Catcher for an OFer...Tradfng both of these guys should have been these two PLUS Gallo. Stearns panicked. I'm not sure this is even better than cleveland's deal when you figure the Brewers were getting that for Lucroy alone..Loved the Smith deal..he gets an "A" from me on that one..but sorry to say, he gets an "F", on this one..that isn't NEARLY enough value for an all star Catcher and a bullpen arm under team control till 2020. he had plenty of time to trade Jeffress in the upcoming years. Overall grade for the two trades today... D

There is no way I am the only one here who was expecting this exact post...

:( :ohwell :rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

A very under-the-radar guy who, if he is the PTBNL, you shouldn't get upset about is Joe Palumbo. Lefty draft pick out of HS in 2013, this year he has accumulated 94 K's in 69 IP in low-A. Walks are a little high (3.6/9), he has mostly been a reliever but they just moved him into the rotation and he has started his last two outings. Even if he can't cut it as a starter, if he can maintain that K rate he can be a nasty reliever and closer. The scary thing is that he is listed at 6'1", 150 lbs. I have no idea how he didn't make the mid-season top 30 list, and I would have no issue with him as the PTBNL. Still only 21 years old.

I'm guessing/hoping that the PTBNL is one of Matuella, Palumbo, Pedro Payano, or Ariel Jurado. If the Brewers want additional time to scout, Palumbo would make sense in that he has just been moved into the rotation. With Matuella rehabbing, that would make sense too.

Cole Ragans or Alex Speas? I'd be interested in both those two. Rangers do great job internationally so Brewers may mine one of those talents out

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

And after the Will Smith trade...Stearns gets taken to the cleaners. How the Heck do you trade BOTH Lucroy and Jeffress and not get Gallo included too?? If Stearns had a chance to take him...but another lessor prospect..well...Break this down individually...Will Smith ALONE brought back SF's #1 organizational prospect, PLUS a Catcher..said prospect is rated #63. Now, going one for one..Jeremy Jeffress brought you Ortiz..the #65 prospect. So, all you got for Lucroy was the #21 prospect?? You traded an All Star Catcher for an OFer...Tradfng both of these guys should have been these two PLUS Gallo. Stearns panicked. I'm not sure this is even better than cleveland's deal when you figure the Brewers were getting that for Lucroy alone..Loved the Smith deal..he gets an "A" from me on that one..but sorry to say, he gets an "F", on this one..that isn't NEARLY enough value for an all star Catcher and a bullpen arm under team control till 2020. he had plenty of time to trade Jeffress in the upcoming years. Overall grade for the two trades today... D

Gallo's girlfriend is ugly so we passed on him

Maybe it was the number of players or being kind of bummed out over the veto but I am not as excited about this trade as I should be. Jeffress and Lucroy for two players, albeit highly ranked players, seems like a light return.

I think this is my sentiment on this deal at this point and it may have been different had the Brewers not acquired Bickford and Susac for Smith. On it's face, I absolutely love the return of Brinson and Ortiz. However, isn't that essentially what the Yankees got for Miller alone (Frazier & Sheffield)? Lucroy + Jeffress, not on the same level as Miller but still an above average reliever, should have netted another player AT LEAST the caliber of Taveras or Guzman.

I wish the Brewers could've figured out a way to convince the Rangers to take a package of Lucroy, Jeffress and their pick of Nelson/Guerra for Gallo, Brinson and Ortiz. To me, that would've felt about right.

X100 So much facepalm.

It's a good trade assuming the PTBNL is a decent prospect. It's hard to fault getting two top 65 guys plus. JJ is a hard guy to grade. A year ago we couldn't have gotten a Nolan Ryan autographed photo for him from Texas. Now he is on the fence of being an elite closer but he doesn't have those advanced stats you look for.

The Smith trade was amazing though.

Because the Brewers don't like Gallo....see post from earlier in this thread.

You need to relax.

Okay folks. I gave my buddy a call this afternoon. He actually had more insight than he usually does.

I guess the scouting department was up all night last night.

Stearns and the Brewers wanted no part of Gallo. The Brewers scouting reports on him are terrible. They didnt like him in high school and passed on him and they still dont like him now.

The issue was that Stearns was in a pickle as to whether to take Brinson, or multiple lessor players.

Apparently somebody higher up advised Stearns to take Brinson as he is a 5 tool player. They think it was someone from the old Melvin regime, as those guys apparently drooled over Carlos Gomez, and see Brinson as the exact same player.

Take it for what its worth.

Someone above Stearns.....That makes sense. Go for the big guns, stop with the cute diamond in the rough types.

We now have 3 guys who are top 65 guys in one afternoon. Give the Brewers FO a team attaboy.

Per TH, Stearns' quote on the PTBNL is:

Stearns on PTBN from Texas: “Will be done in couple of months after the minor league season."

A couple of months after the minor league season is after the World Series. Not to parse the wording too much, but that seems overly specific. Betting it's a 2016 draft pick.

Kyle Glaser: There was no reason to trade Teheran unless they got blown away. The only package that actually happened they could or should have considered him for was what the Yankees got for Andrew Miller - two Top 100 guys and two others close to the majors. Teheran is locked up contractually and doesn't start getting expensive until 2019. The Braves are wise to hold on to him until they are absolutely blown away. No reason to rush it

eric (Milwaukee): Can a recent draftee be a PTBNL ala what happened in the Lucroy trade?

n his twitter. He will miss Milwaukee greatl

He was awesome for the Brewers and wish him nothing but great success!! Josh, do you know if he will be the closer for Texas? (Selfishly, I have both Jeffress and Dyson on my fantasy team..)

Archived