Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Jeffress to the Rangers for CF Lewis Brinson, RHP Luis Ortiz, PTBNL…(Lucroy comments, post 523; PTBNL is Ryan Cordell, post 581)

And That
Stearns straight up murdered it today in my opinion.

It's always hard to say anything with any certainty, just because we have no idea what other offers were out there, but I strongly prefer Brinson over Gallo. And getting an arm like Ortiz along with it makes this a much better deal than the Cleveland one. Again, without knowing what we could've gotten for Jeffress by himself.

Yea, it's hard to know what we could have gotten for Jeffress alone, but i also prefer Brinson over Gallo as the center piece of a trade between the two teams.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly I think people thought Jeffress was a lot more valuable than he really is. You know Stearns has been on the phone since last night shopping Jeffress/Lucroy by themselves right?

Yep. I don't think Jeffress was that valuable tbh. That k/9 # is very worrisome imo.

Food for thought guys:

This was our last chance to get players like Brinson/Ortiz in a trade. We can get high ceiling low minors prospects all day long. But to get a Brinson and Ortiz? We had to package 2 amazing players together.

No matter how highly ranked, some prospects don't pan out. LaPorta was a top-30 prospect two years in a row. Go back and look at top 50 prospect lists from 6-7 years ago. It's not about 2 highly ranked players vs 1 ranked and 4 lower-level lottery tickets, it's about the fact that X% of ranked prospects don't pan out and that risk needs to be offset by additional quantity.

Luc is one of the most valuable players in the game. Two prospects, no matter how highly ranked, isn't going to do it even if it is just for 1.4 years of service time.

That really depend on how you define value. His value to winning games might be but his value on the trade market obviously isn't. I wonder if catchers are undervalued in baseball now or if they were overvalued in the past.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

In response to Law, I'd definitely say Ortiz is their number 3 pitching prospect, not number 1.

I'd say Hader 1, Ortiz and Bickford 2/3 in whatever order... but interesting to see that he is that high or Ortiz (or maybe he's just that low on Hader and Bickford).

In response to Law, I'd definitely say Ortiz is their number 3 pitching prospect, not number 1.

Behind who? Ortiz is more likely to start and has a higher ceiling than Hader. Hader is further along, but that is about it. Who is the second? Bickford? Another guy questionable to start?

ok - 9999 times out of 10000 ptbnl always suck -

When it's a salary dump move. In a case like this, it's not a certainty. We won't get another top 100 player (because it's not Gallo, and we already took Texas' others), but I suspect it won't be a scrub.

Honestly I think people thought Jeffress was a lot more valuable than he really is. You know Stearns has been on the phone since last night shopping Jeffress/Lucroy by themselves right?

Yep. I don't think Jeffress was that valuable tbh. That k/9 # is very worrisome imo.

And when it comes to late inning guys it is all K/9 for value.

Behind who? Ortiz is more likely to start and has a higher ceiling than Hader. Hader is further along, but that is about it. Who is the second? Bickford? Another guy questionable to start?

I'd rank them:

1. Hader

2. Bickford

3. Ortiz

I think Hader has the highest ceiling. Love the strikeout potential.

Some of you are shocked after that Indians deal even? And some of you that are complaining keep saying we got two players and we got three. We don't even know how major the third piece is!

1) The Indians deal didn't include Jeffress.

B) Just my opinion, but I think Mejia and Cheng are very under-rated. In a year or two I think you'll be seeing them very highly ranked on prospect lists.

Right, if that trade goes through we could probably still have traded Jeffress for the Texas pitcher. Imagine that haul instead. Still, hoping the PTBNL is a legit prospect and then I'd call this a win-win for both sides.

I'd rank them:

1. Hader

2. Bickford

3. Ortiz

I think Hader has the highest ceiling. Love the strikeout potential.

Fair enough can't argue with the ranking of any three. I'd put Ortiz #1 because I value his projectability to actually start and a lot like him to be a TOR guy. The other two have a high chance of relieving which scares me.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 32s32 seconds ago

Stearns on PTBN from Texas: “Will be done in couple of months after the minor league season."

That's fine, wish we had the names though. Or even the parameters of what we're talking about here.

He's still a quality reliever and also important, not a rental with multiple more years of team control.

That said, Stearns seems the type who will constantly mine every avenue possible to keep acquiring relief pitchers on the cheap.

I'm actually fine with the return after the events of the past two days. You have to give Stearns the benefit of the doubt. They have how many guys evaluating talent every single day ? Personally I dont care for a 20 year old with weight issues. I mean if you can shed it when youre 20 when can you ? Again have to trust Stearns. I stand by the PTBN, after the deal is done its always tough to get who want, the advantage goes to the seller

I agree with the quality over quantity argument. I think when you deal two guys of the caliber of Lucroy and JJ you expect to see a long list of prospects coming back. But if Texas wasn't willing to give up much else after Brinson and Ortiz, would you rather we just said, "Okay, scrap that, give us two centerpiece players that are projected to be worse than Brinson and Ortiz and then another 4 lottery type players" ?

Not saying I'd prefer Gallo or Brinson (not sure, frankly), but people complaining about Gallo's performance are sure overlooking Brinson's awful season.

Been hurt all year. It's not a plus, that's for sure.

If he was replicating last year, it wouldn't matter anyway because we never could've gotten him.

Not saying I'd prefer Gallo or Brinson (not sure, frankly), but people complaining about Gallo's performance are sure overlooking Brinson's awful season.

Think he'll be ok. Just getting healthy, and seems to be starting to come around.

Stearns jsut said the PTBNL will be set after the MiLB season. Not sure the reason.

It's pretty standard. Either conditional, or a Brewers' option. If it's specifically after MiLB season, could be the latter.

He's still a quality reliever and also important, not a rental with multiple more years of team control.

That said, Stearns seems the type who will constantly mine every avenue possible to keep acquiring relief pitchers on the cheap.

Agree that he's still a very good pitcher. Groundball % has to be a big plus in Texas. I just wonder how he was valued. Never likely to know.

Archived