Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith to the Giants for RHP Phil Bickford and C Andrew Susac

And That
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a capable (MLB caliber) third catcher getting full-time duty at AAA is not a bad thing. It's likely at some point this year that one of the two MLB guys will go on the DL, and we'll be happy to have one of Bandy/Susac to call up at that time.

It sucks for the player who ends up at AAA, but that's baseball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why bother with any of these guys at 1B? Shaw and Perez will backup Thames. And none of them are good enough hitters for any other position.

Find me any projection that has Perez being a better hitter than Susac...... Over 162 games, random illnesses and strange things happen. Additional versatility is not a bad thing.

Why bother with any of these guys at 1B? Shaw and Perez will backup Thames. And none of them are good enough hitters for any other position.

1B/3B are offense-first positions, they require that players there be better hitters than at other positions (typically).

The reason they don't play other positions is because they aren't good enough defenders, not because they can't hit.

I'm not saying any of these guys is going to be a better hitter than Broxton in CF, but the reason they aren't playing CF isn't because they aren't good enough hitters.

Having more than 3 people to play 2 positions in the infield is probably a good idea.

I was thinking from the players perspective---If i was competing for a second catcher's job, I might ask to get myself some reps at another position to try and build my own utility enough to make the team as a third C/util. Scooter is trying to do the exact same thing, except his first position is 2b instead of Catcher.

I highly doubt that we keep all three on the MLB roster even if one of them can defensively play another position. The majority of most catchers' value comes from being a catcher. Probably 90%+ of all of the catchers who have ever played would not make the majors if they played another position.

We're better off letting the 3rd catcher stay sharp at catching in AAA rather than having him sit the bench, playing once a week in a corner OF position. Just using their experience to help the talented AAA pitching staff will probably help the MLB team more any marginal value added by having them on the 25-man over someone else. Honestly, I'm not convinced that wouldn't be a negative marginal value, as I'd probably rather start the year with an additional bullpen arm or a real outfielder instead of a third catcher who recently purchased a first baseman's mitt.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like The Fresh Prince is heading for TJ. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

With Thornburg also likely to start the year on the DL with the Red Sox I think we're seeing why it's a good reason to trade relievers once they cross a certain value threshold as that accrued value can be wiped out at any instant.

Looks like The Fresh Prince is heading for TJ. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

With Thornburg also likely to start the year on the DL with the Red Sox I think we're seeing why it's a good reason to trade relievers once they cross a certain value threshold as that accrued value can be wiped out at any instant.

There's a time and a place to pay for relievers. Overpaying either in contract or trade can cause problems. Although with Susac hurting and Bickford suspended, it all that much of a win for the Brewers, so far.

These types of deals just confuse me. Everyone watching the Brewers before this trade knew something was wrong with Smith, he didn't look the same at all. How on earth do the Giants not realize something was wrong? It baffles the mind.

Still why trade for someone who doesn't look right when you are giving up real value.

They got Will Smith at a reduced price because of such concerns. A healthy Smith throwing filth would have gotten a better return.

Sure but this was about winning now for the Giants, not the long term. Why would you trade for an obviously compromised pitcher during a pennant race and give up valuable prospects. I was so surprised when the trade happened. It made no sense at all for the Giants.

Sure but this was about winning now for the Giants, not the long term. Why would you trade for an obviously compromised pitcher during a pennant race and give up valuable prospects. I was so surprised when the trade happened. It made no sense at all for the Giants.

I don't think the Giants were very big Bickford fans. So in their minds they didn't give up anything really all that valuable. Though that's just a hunch.

I don't think the Giants were very big Bickford fans. So in their minds they didn't give up anything really all that valuable. Though that's just a hunch.

Odd to spend your 1st round pick on a guy and trade him a year later if that's the case.

Archived