Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith to the Giants for RHP Phil Bickford and C Andrew Susac

And That
Smith got knocked around tonight. I hope he's not injured and this trade somehow gets nixed. That can't happen like it did to the Padres right?

How would it get nixed? He's played a game for them and passes the physicals needed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smith got knocked around tonight. I hope he's not injured and this trade somehow gets nixed. That can't happen like it did to the Padres right?

Padres took him back by choice. They probably could have just said "too bad", but they did not.

Interesting again that HighHeat19 was dead on with his projection that the Brewers were going to trade Smith for a player with a K/9 over 1. For that insider information it's a shame he left!

His "insider" information wasn't even good and he was annoying.

How would it get nixed? He's played a game for them and passes the physicals needed.

Just happened with the Padres and Marlins.

Not quite. The Padres didn't have to do squat and neither do the Brewers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just happened with the Padres and Marlins.

Only 1 player from that deal was returned. Cashner pitched the Marlins to the win IIRC the other night (after shaving off the beard).

I wouldn't return that trade if the Giants asked me to. If they have a problem with it, they can file a grievance with MLB and let them decide. He struck out the first guy, a weak ground ball found a hole and then he got too much of the plate with a fastball and it was hit to the wall. A little unlucky and then one bad pitch.

He was up to 94 tonight and he passed his physical. The Giants don't really have an argument here if they try to make one.

Not so glowing report on Bickford from Eric Longenhagen at fangraphs. Kind of says that Bickford has been all over the board performance-wise in his career, so it's hard to know exactly what kind of guy he ultimately is going to be.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/scouting-phil-bickford-conundrum/

At first this trade looked like highway robbery for the Brewers, but the more I read about Bickford the more I understand why the Giants were willing to deal him away. Sounds like his mechanics are all over the place, and if the minor league coaches/instructors felt he'd never iron out those issues he's an easy sell high trade chip. Obviously a super-talented guy, drafted in the top 20 twice, so I love to have him in the organization. But it is pretty easy to see him becoming a big tease like Wily Peralta if he never learns to repeat his delivery and put the ball where he wants it most of the time.

On the flip side, really like Susac more and more with additional reading up on him. He was in Baseball America's top 100 before the 2015 season. Probably not a superstar talent, but looks like he could be MLB above average in just about every department. Hasn't gotten on base consistently as a MLB'er but did at every level before that. Has 15 home run potential. Good receiver. Plus arm. At worst this player should stick with the big league club as one of the better backup catchers in MLB. Pretty good chance to be a solid everyday player. I'm kind of surprised the Brewer's didn't put Susac on the active roster right away. Manny Pina needs to impress over the next few weeks.

I've heard some say that Susac has a weak arm and doesn't throw out base stealers. I was looking at the top 100 prospects for 2015 and came across the scouting grades for Susac.

Grades: Hit: 50. Power: 50. Speed: 30. Defense: 50. Arm: 60.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-prospects-tools-2/#SoTEfm3e6UilSTQF.97

Thought it was interesting that his arm is rated as his best tool.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
John Sickles couldn't believe this deal, said his jaw dropped (1057 The Fan)

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I heard that interview but I believe it was Jim Callis of MLB not Sickels. The point stands, though.

You're right, was Callis.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Not so glowing report on Bickford from Eric Longenhagen at fangraphs. Kind of says that Bickford has been all over the board performance-wise in his career, so it's hard to know exactly what kind of guy he ultimately is going to be.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/scouting-phil-bickford-conundrum/

At first this trade looked like highway robbery for the Brewers, but the more I read about Bickford the more I understand why the Giants were willing to deal him away. Sounds like his mechanics are all over the place, and if the minor league coaches/instructors felt he'd never iron out those issues he's an easy sell high trade chip. Obviously a super-talented guy, drafted in the top 20 twice, so I love to have him in the organization. But it is pretty easy to see him becoming a big tease like Wily Peralta if he never learns to repeat his delivery and put the ball where he wants it most of the time.

On the flip side, really like Susac more and more with additional reading up on him. He was in Baseball America's top 100 before the 2015 season. Probably not a superstar talent, but looks like he could be MLB above average in just about every department. Hasn't gotten on base consistently as a MLB'er but did at every level before that. Has 15 home run potential. Good receiver. Plus arm. At worst this player should stick with the big league club as one of the better backup catchers in MLB. Pretty good chance to be a solid everyday player. I'm kind of surprised the Brewer's didn't put Susac on the active roster right away. Manny Pina needs to impress over the next few weeks.

Bickford has his detractors and his supporters. Heard Jack Z on MLB network sing the praises of him. Also read that he wasn't impressive in the futures game. Hard to argue with the numbers he's posted in the minor leagues though, a 1.00 WHIP and under 3 era for a guy who just turned 21 in the California League? No doubt the Brewer scouts have issued reports.

Watching Smith leave hangers over the middle of the plate and his fastball sit at 92 the last couple weeks, I'm surprised they got anything close to this return.

I've heard some say that Susac has a weak arm and doesn't throw out base stealers. I was looking at the top 100 prospects for 2015 and came across the scouting grades for Susac.

Grades: Hit: 50. Power: 50. Speed: 30. Defense: 50. Arm: 60.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-prospects-tools-2/#SoTEfm3e6UilSTQF.97

Thought it was interesting that his arm is rated as his best tool.

He has a career CS% of 34%, though this year it's just 24%. If it's not his arm, it might be his footwork. Whatever it is, appears he's not great (nor horrible) at controlling the running game.

Edit: MLB average CS% this year is 28.8%, which is a few points lower than I thought it was. I'll call his arm above average, footwork below average, and call it a day.

Footwork can be fixed. Weak arm, not so much.

Susac was in a throw in on a trade for a reliver with a bad knee.

He isn't going to be Johnny Bench. I'm just happy he seems to be a decent well rounded catcher who at worst is a very high end back up.

Anything after Bickford is gravy in this deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Throwing out runners is also heavily dependant on his pitchers. Seems like 3-4 years ago we had a ton of pitchers that were slow in their delivery. And people ran wild on them.

No idea if that applies to Susac but worth noting

I'm definitely happy about Bickford. But I have wanted us to get some catching prospects for years now, particularly when it was obvious Coulter wouldn't catch. When I looked at catching prospects around baseball, Susac was a guy I looked at. You saw him blocked at SF and his potential, and he was a target. I am not saying he is a stud but he could be solid or serviceable. No guarantees but love the pickup.

• 6 months later...
Oh good. We can send him down until he's 30 and past his prime then. Sounds like a Brewers move.

I highly doubt we'll keep him in the minors for the next 4 years unless he shows absolutely nothing. I would bet Pina will stay up since he's out of options and the better of Bandy or Susac will split time with him.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived