Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith to the Giants for RHP Phil Bickford and C Andrew Susac

And That
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Susa with OPS of 666 last year in SF, for anyone looking for a downside or bad juju

Yes, but he'll also be going from an extreme offense-repression park to an extreme offense-boosting park. I'd be very surprised if he puts up that kind of number in Milwaukee.

Bickford has a pretty special fastball and can dominate with that pitch alone when it's at it's best. He doesn't always throw as hard as reported (mid/upper-90s), but even when he's sitting in the low-90s the pitch has such incredible late movement that it's really hard to hit.

Thanks for the info. I would rather have him at 93-94 with late movement than pumping 97-98. That just screams future injury to me for a young SP.

Susa with OPS of 666 last year in SF, for anyone looking for a downside or bad juju

Yes, but he'll also be going from an extreme offense-repression park to an extreme offense-boosting park. I'd be very surprised if he puts up that kind of number in Milwaukee.

Think you missed the 666 significance ;)

Bickford has a pretty special fastball and can dominate with that pitch alone when it's at it's best. He doesn't always throw as hard as reported (mid/upper-90s), but even when he's sitting in the low-90s the pitch has such incredible late movement that it's really hard to hit.

I know Smith is under control until 2019, which obviously adds to his value, but I too am shocked by this return and makes me worry a little that the Giants may be concerned about a future arm injury due to his unorthodox arm action/angle. Then again, the Giants have never been shy about trading top prospects away for players they covet.

And Hader should still be considered the team's #1 pitching prospect (and possibly #1 overall). The reports on him have been to the point where some to most I've spoken to are a little shocked the Astros let him go, pointing out that his game continues to elevate in ways most did not expect.

Astros gave up on him because he didnt fit their mold. Felt he was a reliever. Obviously didnt think he would last as a starter, and that is still a possibility. His motion and size scream reliever or injury to scouts. Also, he didnt fit into the mold that the Astros are pursuing now for starting pitchers, which is strike throwers.

They were thrilled with Fiers when they got him because "that's the type of pitcher we like".

Think you missed the 666 significance ;)

I totally did

My small writeup on Bickford before '15 draft: 27th ranked on MLB at time

27 Phil Bickford rhp JC of Southern Nevada Nev.

I've liked him overall. The FB velocity ups/downs is a small concern at College age. Give Hooper/Chalmers the nod over to this point but Bickford ahead of Lambert.

After the first 15 players I ranked him 1st in next wave of SPs. MLB had Nathan Kirby ranked just ahead of Bickford at 26 fwiw, can't forget about him along with Ponce and Hader.

Definitely happy about this trade. Susac I feel is a quality Catcher and this is the type of Catcher to trade for, ML ready who was blocked by the best Catcher in baseball Posey.

I'll miss Smith, but this is strong enough offer w/o him getting Saves. I'd have been happy if this happened this offseason if Jeffress was moved and Smith closed to finish the season to show what he has. Good Job here.

This is why we don't NEED a top pitching prospect for Lucroy. Just got one for Smith.

2 things.

1. It's impossible to have too many pitching prospects.

2. Bickford is currently a 2 pitch guy and on the fence between starter and reliever.

It's not like we just landed a pitcher the caliber of Jeff Hoffman at the 2015 deadline, he's a tweener with potential, he's more of a RH Josh Hader circa 2015 than a legit top of the rotation starter right now.

That being said this is an excellent trade for a reliever.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is why we don't NEED a top pitching prospect for Lucroy. Just got one for Smith.

2 things.

2. Bickford is currently a 2 pitch guy and on the fence between starter and reliever.

It's not like we just landed a pitcher the caliber of Jeff Hoffman at the 2015 deadline, he's a tweener with potential, he's more of a RH Josh Hader circa 2015 than a legit top of the rotation starter right now.

Guessing Giants are leaning towards thinking he's a reliever. Doesn't mean they're right, just why they were willing to part with him.

I hope we don't send Bickford to Colorado Springs and he gets screwed up. Aa should be our new AAA for our top pitchers.

Bickford is going to either Brevard or Biloxi. He's in advanced-A currently.

He's also been pitching in the Cal League and pitching well there. That league is a hitters paradise too.

Bickford is automatically our top pitching prospect right or is he 1.A and 1.B with Hader?

Seems to make sense to deal Jeffress separately outside of Lucroy to maximize the return unless Texas really does go all in and offer something crazy.

Excellent trade. If Rangers are saying a pitcher has to be in the deal to get Gallo then I'd assume Lucroy/Jeffress is easily hauling Gallo (15 overall), Mendez (ranked right behind Bickford) + however many others. I'm hoping Ortiz is in that as well somehow and he's ranked just ahead of Bickford and Mendez. Get this deal done with TX. Susac very good inclusion in this deal (2015 Top 100) as well.

No way Bickford is rated higher than Hader either. Hader just dominated AFL then absolutely destroyed AA and is 1yr older than Bickford. He keeps top slot due to that fact and he's more advanced in the system already having great success at that upper level (AA) - half of his starts at AAA have been great too

Just curious, but with Smith's knee require offseason surgery or reconstruction? ACL's generally don't heal, but MCL's may heal. Not sure about his

Not. Milwaukee's. Problem.

EDIT: Obviously, not wishing ill on Will Smith, but the knee is the Giants' problem now.

2 things.

Guessing Giants are leaning towards thinking he's a reliever. Doesn't mean they're right, just why they were willing to part with him.

Given how much value relievers appear to be they might have valued him more as a late inning guy than a starter.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived