Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith to the Giants for RHP Phil Bickford and C Andrew Susac

And That

Love this deal. High upside arm with good results in the low minors plus an MLB ready catcher who probably would be in his 3rd MLB season right now if he wasn't blocked by Posey.

Thanks for everything, Fresh Prince with an assist to DM for acquiring & subsequently dealing Nori Aoki.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! I'll take it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Nice return for Smith! Never guess they'd get a top of the line arm like Bickford, who's putting up numbers worthy of a first round pick.

Susac looked great in 2014. If he can get back to that level, he's a keeper. At worst, he's a quality backup. Doesn't ensure Lucroy gets dealt today, gives them some alternatives whether it's today or December.

Oh great, this just solidifies that fact that Stearns blew the Khris Davis trade and Nottingham is not our catcher of the future!

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Weren't we talking just yesterday about how this board dislikes every trade? I've yet to see dissent on this one.

Bickford alone seems like a haul for Will Smith, but Susac seems like a nice depth piece as well; he's 26 years old and a couple seasons removed from his impressive 2014 campaign, but seems to be a guy who could step in and replace a catcher, should the Brewers have one to trade...

Could you imagine with the decline in velocity with Smith if he failed a physical and it didn't go through.

Knocking [banging my head] on wood as we speak.

Who invited Debbie Downer?!?! Seriously though, that would suck.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Jeez, trade Jeffress and make Lucroy a throw in at these prices.

Torres has very quietly had a very good season, and has been ultra hot lately. I think the Brewers still have arby rights. But it would seem at 33 that he would get traded, right? I don't think he clears August waivers. Whip below 1.00 last 15 games.

Bickford has a pretty special fastball and can dominate with that pitch alone when it's at it's best. He doesn't always throw as hard as reported (mid/upper-90s), but even when he's sitting in the low-90s the pitch has such incredible late movement that it's really hard to hit.

I know Smith is under control until 2019, which obviously adds to his value, but I too am shocked by this return and makes me worry a little that the Giants may be concerned about a future arm injury due to his unorthodox arm action/angle. Then again, the Giants have never been shy about trading top prospects away for players they covet.

And Hader should still be considered the team's #1 pitching prospect (and possibly #1 overall). The reports on him have been to the point where some to most I've spoken to are a little shocked the Astros let him go, pointing out that his game continues to elevate in ways most did not expect.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Susac is no slouch. Was top 100 prospect a year ago.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived