Brewer Fanatic

Pitchers Re-entering

wildcat83
Tonight Travis Wood pitched, hit for himself, went and played left field, and later came back in and pitched again. I don't think I've ever seen that before in the majors. If he had come out of the game completely he could not have re-entered correct?

I've seen this done before I think by the Cardinals under LaRussa. He definitely could not come back if he were switched out of the game. In this case I'm assuming a new pitcher came in (in place of the LF) and Wood went to LF, and then went back to the mound when a new LF took the place of the other pitcher.

Incredibly rare. What if this were done in a 2-0 game in the 9th inning? The other pitcher would be credited with a Hold, so could the starter (who ends up finishing the game) be credited with both a Win and a Save?

Gruber Lawffices

It's happened in my lifetime, but I don't recall the circumstances. Players can't re-enter the game except under limited circumstances in the All-Star Game.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've seen this done before I think by the Cardinals under LaRussa. He definitely could not come back if he were switched out of the game. In this case I'm assuming a new pitcher came in (in place of the LF) and Wood went to LF, and then went back to the mound when a new LF took the place of the other pitcher.

Incredibly rare. What if this were done in a 2-0 game in the 9th inning? The other pitcher would be credited with a Hold, so could the starter (who ends up finishing the game) be credited with both a Win and a Save?

A pitcher cannot get a win and save in the same game. Only one or the other.

This really isn't all that crazy of a concept either. If you think about it pitchers shag fly balls 3-4 days of the week. Maybe only not doing so on days they start and have a bullpen session. That's a lot of practice in the OF. The only true downside you might have could be losing speed/range as most pitchers aren't the fastest.

Could be really useful when wanting to just use a lefty pitcher for a left handed batter. Just send the other reliever to LF for that one batter and then have him go back to pitching after that at-bat is done.

When Treblehorn [sic] managed the Brewers, he did this once around 1988. Had Chuck Crim relieve against Toronto, play first for one batter, then finished the game.

in 1989, with a 6-3 lead in the 9th against toronto, the bases loaded and one out, trebelhorn pulled greg brock from first base put chuck crim there. tony fossas came in to relieve, and walked in a run. trebelhorn pulled fossas, moved crim back to the mound, and brought in terry francona to play first. crim retired the next two batters for the save.

When Treblehorn managed the Brewers, he did this once around 1988. Had Chuck Crim relieve against Toronto, play first for one better, then finished the game.

I knew the Brewers did it once but couldn't remember who did it much less the pitcher involved or which position he played. You obviously have a better memory than I do. I did remember they gave the player of the game award to the manager though.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

When Treblehorn managed the Brewers, he did this once around 1988. Had Chuck Crim relieve against Toronto, play first for one better, then finished the game.

I knew the Brewers did it once but couldn't remember who did it much less the pitcher involved or which position he played. You obviously have a better memory than I do. I did remember they gave the player of the game award to the manager though.

Probably Brooks Kieschnick.

When Treblehorn [sic] managed the Brewers, he did this once around 1988. Had Chuck Crim relieve against Toronto, play first for one batter, then finished the game.

in 1989, with a 6-3 lead in the 9th against toronto, the bases loaded and one out, trebelhorn pulled greg brock from first base put chuck crim there. tony fossas came in to relieve, and walked in a run. trebelhorn pulled fossas, moved crim back to the mound, and brought in terry francona to play first. crim retired the next two batters for the save.

I also have vague memories of Trebelhorn using a 5 man infield. Does anyone else remember this?

Players can switch around positions as much as the manager wishes, just not their place in the batting order.

You can only do the pitcher moving thing once per inning, Rule 3.03

(Rule 3.03 Comment): A pitcher may

change to another position only once during the same inning;

e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other

than a pitcher more than once in the same inning.

But you could keep doing it every inning, and to pitch twice in an inning you have to start out as the pitcher at the beginning of the inning

It seems like this could be very advantageous in the AL. If you've got a decent hitting pitcher, co-start him with a guy who throws with the opposite arm who you DH for. The two of them should be able get through 9 innings very easily, each almost exclusively having only R-R or L-L matchups, each likely throwing less than 100 pitches.

Players can switch around positions as much as the manager wishes, just not their place in the batting order.

With the exclusion of the designated hitter. And pitchers are limited as topper09er explains. Actually, the only positions defined in the rules are pitcher, catcher, and DH.

I also have vague memories of Trebelhorn using a 5 man infield. Does anyone else remember this?

Are you thinking of something beyond the 5-man infield we see teams employ several times per season for specific game situations?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived