Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple problems when dealing with the Rangers. RHP-Luis Ortiz was hurt, just came off the DL and threw 2 innings on Friday night. It's very possible he'd be the main piece in a deal so even a minor injury concern could be a big deal. RHP-Pedro Payano, who appears to be one of the better prospects further down the top prospect list, is also on the DL and hasn't pitched since July 7th.

I don't think Gallo or Brinson is out of the question if the Brewers package Lucroy + Guerra + Jeffress, but if that's the case they probably wouldn't get much else out of the deal (maybe one more organizational top 10 type plus a fringe player). I'd rather see them try to land RHP-Luis Ortiz (provided he checks out medically), LHP-Yohander Mendez, OF-Leody Taveras, 1B-Ronald Guzman and RHP-Ariel Jurado for the big package they would be sending to Texas. MLB.com has Mendez as a top 100 guy but I that might be a bit generous based on the amount of work he's done. But there is no question that he's super talented and a high upside prospect and if he's not in the top 100 he is just outside of it. All five of these prospects are legit...there would be no "throw-ins" on this deal.

Ortiz is a long-term investment, not a short-term one, so unless something in his medical indicates a red flag of a possible long-term issue, I don't think a minor injury concern would be a deal breaker. We had a trade in place for Wheeler at this time last year, who as far as I know still hasn't even resumed his career as of right now.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not worried about Gallo and to some extent Brinson. I would take them, but if that were available, I'd guess we could have already pulled the trigger. I'd like a pitcher with upside. Two other guys I'd like are 1b Ronald Guzman and 17 year old outfielder Leody Tavares. Guzman was a bonus baby and then took awhile to develop. He seems to have turned the corner and jumped big time in the organization prospect rankings (from the 20s to top 10 if I recall correctly).

As for catcher, we just drafted a couple of nice prospects and next year's draft has two big time prospects in KJ Harrison and JJ Schwarz.

Community Moderator

If it is a package (Lucroy+Reliever) 2-3 of these guys being included would get me fairly excited...

Luis Ortiz, RHP

Yohander Mendez, LHP

Leody Taveras, OF

Ronald Guzman, 1B

But ultimately the thing I try to remind myself is I can follow and study these guys as closely as possible and still don't have 1/1,000th of the information the teams have available to them on these players.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
LAD--Holmes and two lottery tickets.

Atl--Allard and a lottery ticket

Bos--Kopech, and two lottery tickets

CHC--Happ and Cease

I would do a trade straight up for Devers or Benintendi before I would explore anything beyond that with the Red Sox. Kopech has been coming out and putting up first inning triple digits, but his velocity has reportedly fallen off pretty quickly after that. Also has shown control issues and has abandoned his change-up in some starts. I think he is way too risky to make the centerpiece of a Lucroy trade.

EDIT: Yes, I realize based on the market we are hearing about the Red Sox likely aren't making the guys I mentioned available.

Lucroy, Smith and Guerra

For

Gallo, Tate, Taveras, Matuella

That's a package I can get excited about

I just said the same thing but Brinson not Gallo.

That would be an incredible deal for both teams.

Edit: I'd be pretty surprised if we traded Guerra though.

Community Moderator
Take your pick

For those that can't click the links, we already posted the first, here is the second...

@Evan_P_Grant: What I'm hearing is that Lucroy deal remains still in mostly formative stage. It's not just about Lucroy. Rangers would like pitching, too

Also this from Jon Heyman...

@JonHeyman: rangers are working on lucroy. havent heard it's close, but very opportunistic if they land him.

Archived