Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

Evan Grant says the Rangers are interested in Lucroy only of a pitcher is tied in. Gotta think Stearns has got to be thinking hard on this one.

This isn't a hard thought. Package a pitcher get fair value.

It certainly is when many people have said Stearns is not looking at packaging players.

It's July 31st. If the Rangers come to us and want Lucroy if we're interested in including Jeffress or Smith, we're listening.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wonder if the brewers get an offer now for a non playoff team who on not on luc list will they ship him out.

Pretty sure he will be shipped out to the team offering the best deal. Who cares what situation that team is in.

It's the same as Lucroy making the tough call, and ultimately going with what he though was best for his family - Mr Stearns will go with what's best for his team.

A non playoff team doesnt need him for this year. They have luxury of waiting if they want. They might only if they offer a long term deal.

The only team I could think of would be Atlanta; since they're the worst team they would have waiver priority on Lucroy, so technically Lucroy could be easily dealt to Atlanta in August after the deadline. You wouldn't think there would be much urgency on their part, but maybe they would rather do a waiver deal now rather than wait until after the season when they'd have competition.

I like Mejia quite a bit. Has a cannon for an arm. Potential to be an above average defensive catcher. Bat is good. As evidenced by his current 42 game hit streak. His patience could improve as he only has 2 walks so far in his 80 pa at A+. Biggest issue with him is character. If he gets his head on straight and continues to improve his defense and plate discipline he is a potential multi all star type of guy.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely has a bright future if he can gel everything into a polished package.

Were you open to the idea of sending either Zimmer or Frazier as the key piece for Lucroy? And how do you think Mejia compares to them in terms of overall value (namely including his position)?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I won't get my hopes up for the return that we all speculated earlier, meaning no Gallo, Brinson, etc...

Brinson isn't moving for anyone short of Sale...or a mega value type player. However if we package Lucroy with Nelaon Gallo+ could be plausible. I imagine they want a starter not a reliever in this package deal they want from us.

I won't get my hopes up for the return that we all speculated earlier, meaning no Gallo, Brinson, etc...

Well if they can get a deal done with Jeffress or Smith included the haul could be better. I have faith of a Astros type move that Daniels coughs up someone that most don't think will be included. Go swindle someone Stearns!

If the secondary pieces were similar, would people consider getting Gallo instead of Mejia a win or a loss? Completely different types of players/prospects, but would seem to be of similar value to me.

Similar secondary pieces? I am probably taking Gallo. Way higher floor and a big time ceiling. In reality though Mejia would get you better secondary pieces so I would easily take him instead.

Off-season is not a good option. If you don't like the offers now, off-season will be worse. Why give up top prospects for one year of Lucroy? At a time when there's more options to trade for catchers, convince yourself you'll be set at catcher, etc.

Now is the time, period. Same with the RP. Trade deadline is made for selling RP, when they have far more value than the off-season.

I'd rather extend Lucroy than trade him for that abomination of a Mets deal. Pretty much taking a turd sandwich for our prime rib. It kind of bothers me that there has been a fiasco twice now of late on trades...perhaps the Brewers need to be smarter on keeping things quiet. At this point i'd package a reliever and Guerra or Nelson with him and see if the sky is the limit from somebody rather than getting cute with 3-4 other trades.

If the secondary pieces were similar, would people consider getting Gallo instead of Mejia a win or a loss? Completely different types of players/prospects, but would seem to be of similar value to me.

Similar secondary pieces? I am probably taking Gallo. Way higher floor and a big time ceiling. In reality though Mejia would get you better secondary pieces so I would easily take him instead.

Agreed on Gallo. It's been discussed ad nauseum about whether he's the second coming of Russell Branyan (A/C Controlling Excluded). I'd love to add that power because if he does all come together, unbelievable cornerstone type player.

I don't think you can compare what we got from the Indians to what we might get from the Rangers. Any deal with them would include a 2nd or even 3rd player going their way and with all the years of control we could be giving up it gets complicated.

I'm thinking the deal starts with either Gallo + Tavares or Brinson + Guzman then add in Jurado and one of Ortiz, Mendez or Tate. The deal would still need more pieces after that like a couple relievers. Maybe Martin and LeClerc to round it off? If we dealt that many guys from our major league roster we would have to have a coule who could fill in immediately.

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd be happy with Luc to the Rangers for Hamels, Yu and Beltre.

Beltre is too old. Have to get Mazara and Brinson with Hamels and Yu instead.

That's cool too. Whatever cripples the Rangers and helps the Brewers. And, by extension, the Astros.

I know the Dodgers were mentioned before as the possible mystery team.. Bellinger and Verdugo (2nd and 4th rate prospects) were pulled today.. Might be for Bruce, but you never know..

Chris Archer

Archived