Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

Sounds like Dodgers were mystery team. Back in it now. They have the pitchers you people demand.

Well then maybe Stearns can really earn his money and package Lucroy and Braun in one deal.

I really don't know why the Dodgers would be interested in Lucroy as Yasmani Grandal isn't a bad player by any means. He isn't as good as Lucroy, but if I had Grandal I wouldn't be looking to make a major upgrade at that position.

Crazy Fantasy Deal:

Dodgers get:

C-Jonathan Lucroy

OF-Ryan Braun

RHP-Junior Guerra

8 million dollars

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig

OF-Alex Verdugo

RHP-Grant Holmes

OF-Yusniel Diaz

RHP-Yadier Alvarez

OF-Starling Heredia

RHP-Imani Abdullah

C-Keibert Ruiz

Trade started out Braun + 8 million for OF-Puig, RHP-Holmes, OF-Heredia and RHP-Abdullah. Assuming the Dodgers want to dump Puig (which really seems to be the case now), the basic structure is Braun for Puig and Holmes. The deferred money in Braun's deal (18 million) is 4 million more than what Puig is owed in 2017 and 2018 (14 million total), so the Brewers immediately add 4 million to the deal. Then the Brewers buy OF-Heredia and RHP-Abdullah for another 4 million to kick more cash to the Dodgers and buy a couple prospects in the process.

So the new deal adds Lucroy and Guerra for four prospects: OF-Verdugo, OF-Diaz, RHP-Alvarez and C-Ruiz. Verdugo is a legit top 100 prospect and Diaz and Alvarez are two solid top 10 organizational prospects but neither are elite. Ruiz is a fringe player with some potential. Seems like a pretty fair return for Lucroy plus a hot starting pitcher.

I wouldn't really like the idea of taking on Puig but if he is part of a deal that returns 2 top 100 players, 2 more top ten organizational players and two solid role player types with great upside...out of what could be the best minor league system in baseball...I'd learn to live with Puig under those circumstances.

It will never happen but it's fun to dream. If the Dodgers want to dump Puig I do think it's a fair deal for both sides. The Dodgers would likely make the Brewers take Grandal too and then subtract a prospect out and that could work depending on which prospect it was.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs are the best chance to get a deal done. They are truly all in. And they already offered a similar (maybe better) deal than Cleveland. Stearns wanted more since they're in same division.

Well, forget all that now. Get a deal done with the Cubs. It will be for less than what we want, less than Lucroy is "worth" but as we are learning, that was always going to be the case.

Best thing that can happen now is the Rangers totally strike out in their pursuit of a front-line starter. If that happens then they could turn to a Lucroy/Guerra/reliever package as their best option. And that type of a three player package should get a big return.

Evan Grant says the Rangers are interested in Lucroy only of a pitcher is tied in. Gotta think Stearns has got to be thinking hard on this one.

This isn't a hard thought. Package a pitcher get fair value.

i wonder if the brewers get an offer now for a non playoff team who on not on luc list will they ship him out.

Interesting thought. I would be open to that if I'm Stearns, as long as the offer makes sense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Evan Grant says the Rangers are interested in Lucroy only of a pitcher is tied in. Gotta think Stearns has got to be thinking hard on this one.

This isn't a hard thought. Package a pitcher get fair value.

It certainly is when many people have said Stearns is not looking at packaging players.

The way Stearns plays this now in the next 30 hours or so will tell us a lot about him. He's got to turn around and get a deal done trading Lucroy and meanwhile has other trade chips that should be going. This is where him being young, focused & energetic will really help him. Time to step up today/tomorrow
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Question is...

If you're Stearns and the best offer is the Mets offer (TDA, Nimmo, 3rd piece), do you accept or hold Lucroy until the winter?

Not sure what I am feeling today.

In that scenario, I hold into the offseason.

There are other catchers available in FA, but imo not one of them is the sure-thing All-Star that you get in Lucroy. I think the market will play out that numerous teams will be in on Luc, & then wait to move on to the FA candidates once Lucroy is off the market.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Question is...

If you're Stearns and the best offer is the Mets offer (TDA, Nimmo, 3rd piece), do you accept or hold Lucroy until the winter?

Not sure what I am feeling today.

No. If you're not good with it, pass.

The Brewers loved Mejia. They saw a potential all-star. The Mets aren't offering that kind of player.

And as noted by others, I think you can do better in the off-season. The market for Luc just wasn't great, which is why we didn't get a better deal. There's many reasons for that, but the big one is simply that teams aren't in the playoff race right now and thus don't want to spend a lot on a catcher. I think we've all run through the teams - Boston, Houston, Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, etc., etc. But realistically, there's a limited number of clubs who need Luc and are willing to pay for him. In the off season, everyone is equal. Hopefully, that means more potential suitors.

Also, there's the whole concept of teams not liking to change catchers mid-season. I don't know how real it is, but it may have played a role in some team's decisions - especially teams with borderline catching. A club like Texas or LA might have said, 'You know, Lucroy would be great, but our pitchers and catchers are good with each other. Let's not mess things up unless we can get a good deal.' This argument goes away in the offseason.

The risk is that Lucroy could get hurt in the next two months or tank offensively. That's a big risk, however, so if you are happy with the deal you can get today, you make the move.

Sucks that Lucroy declined the trade. Liked the trade from the Indians perspective. Deal is dead for now, but things can change quickly. Hope you guys end up with a good return. Preferably with an NL team.

Sorry you guys weren't able to add him. Truly is an elite player.

Do you have any insights on Mejia? I'm very intrigued by him.

What kind of prospect is Nimmo? Is he a Domingo Santana type prospect (good, not great)? I know that the Mets have balked at including Dominic Smith, I wonder if this would get done quickly if they agreed to include him. I'm in the camp that would love top end pitching, but adding the 1B of the future would have to seem like a win at this point.

I like Mejia quite a bit. Has a cannon for an arm. Potential to be an above average defensive catcher. Bat is good. As evidenced by his current 42 game hit streak. His patience could improve as he only has 2 walks so far in his 80 pa at A+. Biggest issue with him is character. If he gets his head on straight and continues to improve his defense and plate discipline he is a potential multi all star type of guy.

Lucroy had most of the AL Central on his veto list. I see this as no great surprise. He really didn't want to be stuck with Cleveland in this situation. Going to the AL midseason with all new pitchers and batters to figure out can be a rough proposition for a catcher. Sometimes working environment trumps total cash and even winning. I think its great, though I hated the deal from the get go. Lucroy deserved some say for all he's done for Milwaukee.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The best thing about Miller to the Indians is that it throws down the gauntlet with the rest of the league - specifically Boston. The Sox are going to see Cleveland getting better. And they should know that Cleveland isn't necessarily done. The Indians could re-engage Milwaukee on Lucroy or make other moves (add a reliever, other bat).

This might make the Sox step up. By making a good offer for Lucroy, it not only improves their team, but it keeps him from the Indians. That could be a big motivating factor for Boston.

i wonder if the brewers get an offer now for a non playoff team who on not on luc list will they ship him out.

Pretty sure he will be shipped out to the team offering the best deal. Who cares what situation that team is in.

Archived