Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

Nottingham could be a Top 10 player in all of MiLB as a catcher right now, and they still would have wanted Mejia. It's really not that hard to understand. They are trying to acquire the best possible talent- period.

Do you think Stearns would be really bummed to learn he was stuck with two outstanding catching prospects? We can all debate and disagree about some of this stuff, but let's all agree on the answer to that at least.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can call it "bagging", its just stating facts.

No, it's not. I'm not going to get into a Nottingham debate here, but go read some scouting reports. He's far from a "never was" at the position, no matter how many times you say it. Which is a lot. Every day. Multiple times. Sometimes even going for a Gary Carter strawman.

If the Brewers trade for a catcher, it is because Stearns likes up the middle guys, just like splitter said. It says nothing about Nottingham. Actually it is why Stearns traded for Nottingham in the first place.

I dont buy for a second Stearns was trading for another catcher if he thought he had one and neither do you, IMHO.

Catchers are not guys you easily move around and expect success. They are catchers because they are catchers. They have already taken away useful life in their bodies and general use at other positions.

I do buy the SS or CF argument as those guys are typically the most athletic in HS and college. Not catcher.

You can call it "bagging", its just stating facts.

No, it's not. I'm not going to get into a Nottingham debate here, but go read some scouting reports. He's far from a "never was" at the position, no matter how many times you say it. Which is a lot. Every day. Multiple times. Sometimes even going for a Gary Carter strawman.

If the Brewers trade for a catcher, it is because Stearns likes up the middle guys, just like splitter said. It says nothing about Nottingham. Actually it is why Stearns traded for Nottingham in the first place.

I dont buy for a second Stearns was trading for another catcher if he thought he had one and neither do you, IMHO.

Catchers are not guys you easily move around and expect success. They are catchers because they are catchers. They have already taken away useful life in their bodies and general use at other positions.

I do buy the SS or CF argument as those guys are typically the most athletic in HS and college. Not catcher.

There's also something called a trade in baseball. If Nottingham and Mejia were both studs, one of them could be traded for a similar prospect at a position of need or if we are talking 2020 and the team is competing for the playoffs, could be used in a "Sabathia-esque" trade.

Even if they thought Nottingham could stick at catcher(maybe they do) the still take Mejia. Mejia has above average defense and his bat might be above average too. He could be a Top 5 catcher some day. He is 100x better than Nottingham.

Stearns likes athletic, "up the middle guys" - he's not going to care if anyone else thinks he has enough shortstops. The theory is, the more athletic a guy is, the more he can do for you, and you find the athletes in the middle of the field.

The Brewers chose Mejia over Frazier in the Cleveland deal, (yes really), not because Mejia's a catcher, but because Cleveland gave them the secondary pieces they wanted if they went with Mejia. The real gamble there was Yu-Cheng Chang - scouts just love him.

On Chang - he was the guy New York wanted for Aroldis Chapman, and now he's the guy New York wants for Carlos Beltran - he has the attention of the scouts.

On middle infielders - Gorman Thomas, Jim Gantner, Robin Yount, and Paul Molitor were all drafted as shortstops - they were MLB teammates for years. Get athletes with baseball skills, and play them where they fit.

Based on that last statement, and based on my own observations of David Stearns' short time as a GM - the Brewers may not care if they don't get Joey Gallo.

This is exactly how you should draft....shortstops, catchers and starting pitchers. Catchers can become corner infielders or corner outfielders and shortstops can go anywhere but catcher. Starting pitchers can become relievers. Always do this and you will be successful.

If all you draft is middle infielders and catchers, you will have a pretty righty skewed organization from a hitting standpoint. Just saying..

I want this link to where Zimmer was available for Lucroy. Please show me. You keep acting like one was available for Lucroy. Where is the proof?

I wasnt in the war room and neither were you. But Zimmer was traded, just not to the Brewers. Mejia was traded, to the Brewers. Both trades were multiple pieces so it wasnt just Zimmer or Mejia one for one. Seems either would have been available, but the Brewers just chose the Mejia lead package vs the Zimmer lead package (which may or may not have not included the same extra pieces).

Zimmer was available, clearly since he was traded. I guess we can argue Miller vs Luc but it would be tough to say one is many leaps over the other.

I might be confused, but didn't the Yankees get Clint Frazier for Miller? Not Zimmer?

Gruber Lawffices

I want this link to where Zimmer was available for Lucroy. Please show me. You keep acting like one was available for Lucroy. Where is the proof?

I wasnt in the war room and neither were you. But Zimmer was traded, just not to the Brewers. Mejia was traded, to the Brewers. Both trades were multiple pieces so it wasnt just Zimmer or Mejia one for one. Seems either would have been available, but the Brewers just chose the Mejia lead package vs the Zimmer lead package (which may or may not have not included the same extra pieces).

Zimmer was available, clearly since he was traded. I guess we can argue Miller vs Luc but it would be tough to say one is many leaps over the other.

Try again there bucco.

I might be confused, but didn't the Yankees get Clint Frazier for Miller? Not Zimmer?

Lol youre right.

Nottingham could be moved to 1b since his bat would play there. Boomer saying we passed over Frazier/Zimmer for a catcher (Mejia) solely because Stearns made a mistake in acquiring Nottingham behind the plate is absurd. The players themselves are the one's who actually figure out who will play where, get traded, etc. Not the GM/coaches. It's figured out between the lines and the more quality you have at a specific position the better off you are, especially at C

Stearns likes athletic, "up the middle guys" - he's not going to care if anyone else thinks he has enough shortstops. The theory is, the more athletic a guy is, the more he can do for you, and you find the athletes in the middle of the field.

The Brewers chose Mejia over Frazier in the Cleveland deal, (yes really), not because Mejia's a catcher, but because Cleveland gave them the secondary pieces they wanted if they went with Mejia. The real gamble there was Yu-Cheng Chang - scouts just love him.

On Chang - he was the guy New York wanted for Aroldis Chapman, and now he's the guy New York wants for Carlos Beltran - he has the attention of the scouts.

On middle infielders - Gorman Thomas, Jim Gantner, Robin Yount, and Paul Molitor were all drafted as shortstops - they were MLB teammates for years. Get athletes with baseball skills, and play them where they fit.

Based on that last statement, and based on my own observations of David Stearns' short time as a GM - the Brewers may not care if they don't get Joey Gallo.

This is exactly how you should draft....shortstops, catchers and starting pitchers. Catchers can become corner infielders or corner outfielders and shortstops can go anywhere but catcher. Starting pitchers can become relievers. Always do this and you will be successful.

If all you draft is middle infielders and catchers, you will have a pretty righty skewed organization from a hitting standpoint. Just saying..

Not if you draft left handed and switch hitting shortstops and catchers. They are out there all the time.

Hate to rain on your parade but Zimmer was never traded. Clint Frazier was.

Hate to rain on your parade but Zimmer was never traded. Clint Frazier was.

I already corrected that after it was pointed it. They both have a Z and are OF'ers, so they are interchangeable. :laughing

Nottingham could be moved to 1b since his bat would play there. Boomer saying we passed over Frazier/Zimmer for a catcher (Mejia) solely because Stearns made a mistake in acquiring Nottingham behind the plate is absurd. The players themselves are the one's who actually figure out who will play where, get traded, etc. Not the GM/coaches. It's figured out between the lines and the more quality you have at a specific position the better off you are, especially at C

Stearns passed up a 5 tool OFer and/or pitching so he could pick up a second catcher of the future?

Yeah, ok.......... :ohwell

Stearns passed up a 5 tool OFer and/or pitching so he could pick up a second catcher of the future?

Nope he actually didn't. They were never available.

You don't get it. That's fine.

Or maybe, you know, prospects don't always pan out for any number of reasons. If you have two chances are one will work out, if both do then you have a good problem on your hands. And of course anyone can see the chance of Nottingham needing to move of C, so it would be a good hedge. Doesn't mean he was a bad guy to get or that it was bad trade then, it was for Khris Davis, what can you expect. We've also traded for and drafted lots of OFs, so getting possibly two more from Cleveland would mean all those guys are bumbs? Everyone needs to relax, this is the rebuilding process we all said we wanted.

Gallo is hitting .250 in the minors with a 35% strikeout rate. It's quite possible that he hits .190 every year with a 40% K-rate in the majors.

That is certainly a concern, but when you get someone in A ball, it's possible they never make it past AA. That happens a lot... look at our line of recent 1st round draft picks. At least with Gallo, you know he is going to play in the majors, so his downside is much higher than the downside for a talented guy in the low minors. Plus, his upside is enormous, so this isn't a "high floor/low ceiling" guy.

I love getting teenagers when they're cheap and hoping they move up into the top prospect lists, but in moving someone like Lucroy, I'd like to limit the risk a bit. Get the guys you like who aren't yet on the top prospect lists with your other chips. In today's market, I would think they could have landed Mejia for Jeffress straight up. That would have been great. Then trade Lucroy for a package centered around a more advanced prospect, whether that's Gallo or whoever. These guys aren't always readily available, but it seems Gallo is available, so it's awfully tempting.

Also, I agree that we shouldn't be looking specifically for positional need, but Gallo happens to line up exactly where we're thin. We can put him at 3B while we're not really looking to win at the MLB level anyhow. If he can't hold down the position, we'll trade Carter next season and move Gallo to 1B, where we have no prospects in the pipeline. Or, if Santana isn't holding his own (or can't stay on the field), or if Braun is traded, then we could try Gallo and his 98-MPH fastball-throwing arm in a corner OF position.

There's always risk, and Gallo is far from perfect (there are no Harper's out there, and if there were, we wouldn't get them in trade), but Gallo has a lot going for him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived