Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look, it isn't the end of the world if Lucroy is a Brewer tomorrow. Lowering your price is the panic move. I still think plan B is trading Braun this winter, then extending Lucroy.

Its not the end of the world if Luc isnt moved since we saw what Stearns was trying to get for him.

It is very much the end of the world (overdramatic comment aside) if he doesnt capitalize on the reliever market though.

Total guess:

Rangers are still trying to land LHP Matt Moore from the Rays (or possibly even Odorizzi) as priority #1. If they can do that, they turn and settle for trading a low-level prospect for Padres C Derek Norris as priority #2.

If they fail at that in the next few hours, they go after Lucroy, Will Smith (or possibly Jeffress), and Junior Guerra for a package that is headlined by Joey Gallo.

Brewers have to root for a team like the Cubs to offer more for LHP Matt Moore and beat out the Rangers for him.

Otherwise Lucroy could be boarding a plane to join the Brewers in San Diego tonight.

Haudricourt says Lucroy did not go with the team to San Diego. I would say that is a positive sign that trade talks are still alive and ongoing.

Does this lower our trade leverage though if other teams know how desperate we are to trade him before the deadline today? I guess it's probably no secret to begin with that we really need to move him by 3:00 this afternoon.

As Haudricourt mentions they may be fielding other offers now and already have Texas' final offer. No need to talk if the final offer is on the table.

36s

Tom‏ @Haudricourt

If reports true that #Brewers and Rangers haven’t talked Lucroy since last night, it’s probably because seeing if better offer out there.

Haudricourt says Lucroy did not go with the team to San Diego. I would say that is a positive sign that trade talks are still alive and ongoing.

Does this lower our trade leverage though if other teams know how desperate we are to trade him before the deadline today? I guess it's probably no secret to begin with that we really need to move him by 3:00 this afternoon.

We don't play till what? 9pm central time? He can make the game on a fast flight. That is the plan. We are just keeping him in the middle of the country so he can virtually play for anyone tonight.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looks like I have another day of Twitter refreshing ahead of me...better put on another pot of coffee.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's some talk that Chris Sale may be available. Teams like Boston and Rangers may be holding their chips to see what happens in that arena before moving on to Lucroy and other players. Once that chip falls (if it falls), then others will go down.

So this might take us right up to the deadline.

Lucroy's value is what it is. The fact that he didn't travel with the team or the Cleveland deal fell through makes no difference.

Let's be honest. If Gallo is on the table Lucroy won't be a Brewer at 3pm. Either he will be with Texas or someone else:

It seems that Joey Gallo is on the table for Lucroy, as we’ve heard suggested before, but only if there’s an arm included in the deal as well, per Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via Twitter). It’s not clear exactly what pitcher that might be, but certainly there are several relievers that could make sense, as Grant explains. The Brewers could be looking into whether a preferable deal is available involving only the backstop, Haudricourt suggests on Twitter.

Kind of wonder if the Brewers are seeing if they can flip Gallo to someone else, if the Rangers aren't willing to give up a package of multiple younger guys.

I think they want Gallo or at least like him. Instead they probably wonder if they can get more value with seperate deals. Lucroy elsewhere and the pitcher elsewhere. Probably not a lot in the deal past Gallo.

Look, it isn't the end of the world if Lucroy is a Brewer tomorrow. Lowering your price is the panic move. I still think plan B is trading Braun this winter, then extending Lucroy.

Its not the end of the world if Luc isnt moved since we saw what Stearns was trying to get for him.

It is very much the end of the world (overdramatic comment aside) if he doesnt capitalize on the reliever market though.

You write that as if you know what deals Stearns passed up before accepting Clevelands.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It is very much the end of the world (overdramatic comment aside) if he doesnt capitalize on the elite reliever market though.

FIFY. Look what Melancon went for (not much). It seems like Chapman, Miller, or a healthy Davis are the ones that will go for a crazy price. It seems that people are only obsessed with the elite relievers and otherwise will pay an expected price.

If we're hesitant to deal relievers, I can't understand why. Seems ideal in this market.

I do want Gallo, but it'd be ideal to get some secondary pieces from Texas, not just Gallo + throw ins. If we have to include more than 1 reliever, so be it.

If we're hesitant to deal relievers, I can't understand why. Seems ideal in this market.

I do want Gallo, but it'd be ideal to get some secondary pieces from Texas, not just Gallo + throw ins. If we have to include more than 1 reliever, so be it.

We're hesitant to deal relievers because teams are only ponying up for elite relievers regardless of team control remaining. Our relievers are good and part of the value is their team control, which teams aren't as interested in ponying up for. We are correctly holding and asking for the high price that they should cost, but I'm going to guess that we won't get it.

It is very much the end of the world (overdramatic comment aside) if he doesnt capitalize on the elite reliever market though.

FIFY. Look what Melancon went for (not much). It seems like Chapman, Miller, or a healthy Davis are the ones that will go for a crazy price. It seems that people are only obsessed with the elite relievers and otherwise will pay an expected price.

That's true, but Jeffress has almost 2 consistent years under his belt now of being a high end closer. He's starting to establish a bit of a track record. Not a Chapman or Miller obviously, but Jeffress is hardly a guy who should be a blue light special. Especially with years of control left.

Archived