Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time for Stearns to earn his money. Now all of MLB will low-ball him after seeing the apparent agreement with Cleveland (which wasn't very good). He'll have to figure out a way to package Lucroy plus pitching to get a decent return.

I still think a deal gets done. The truth is nobody on here know what offers were there and what the supposed minimum requirement list included. For all we know one of the requirements was that he wanted potential future starting catcher in return or maybe at least 3 or 4 players. Seems too simplistic but you never know.

Maybe the Red Sox or others get back involved with a new set of requirements that aren't necessarily worse than the first set.

Maybe the interest in Norris is a fallback to allow them to get a controllable catcher back should they need to work with another team who can't offer a catcher.

OOkay. Back to BOS, LAD, ATL. Go!

Also, Lucroy and his agent way overplayed their hand. Tried to squeeze too much out of their no trade clause and now they are either going to get traded to a contender and still have the team option or play for a non contender and team option as said above.

National media including Rosenthal ripping on Stearns a little now

That is justified. I am kind of ticked about it myself.

Maybe. Also, Lucroy could have said something different to get the deal as close as possible thinking it would give himself a bunch of leverage.

Community Moderator
I still think a deal gets done.

I agree. I am not going to claim they "must" trade him, but with the awkwardness surrounding this situation right now I have to think Stearns and his staff are feeling the pressure to get a deal done over the next day. At least this didn't all go down on Monday without enough time to explore alternatives.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

National media including Rosenthal ripping on Stearns a little now

That is justified. I am kind of ticked about it myself.

Maybe. Also, Lucroy could have said something different to get the deal as close as possible thinking it would give himself a bunch of leverage.

Possible. Don't get me wrong, I am still really ticked off at Lucroy. He wanted to play for a winner and passed on the opportunity.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Unless Luc backed away from his word after the deal was done it's hard to get mad at Luc. You'd think both FO's would have this handled before the deal went public.

On to the next deal. Don't make this all about the replacement catcher. We just drafted two and we have two stop gaps at AAA.

Boomer, we draft more than 2 catchers every year. Only 2 have panned out in recent years and they were from the same draft--Lucroy and Fryer

That's true and the failure to realize Nottingham can't catch has put us in a position where we need to find the next guy.

However I'd much rather they pick up an elite OFer than a catcher just to have one. You can always trade for Norris for very little if they want one so badly.

Community Moderator
I really just don't understand this move for Lucroy. He just doesn't want to play 1B/DH even if it doesn't effect him financially. Just weird.

He is banking on his likely one and only significant free agent contract coming over the Winter of 2017-18. It doesn't help his $$ value to be perceived as a part-time catcher.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I really just don't understand this move for Lucroy. He just doesn't want to play 1B/DH even if it doesn't effect him financially. Just weird.

He is banking on his likely one and only significant free agent contract coming over the Winter of 2017-18. It doesn't help his $$ value to be perceived as a part-time catcher.

Anybody who perceives him as a part time catcher even after a year of playing multiple positions is a fool.

Anybody who perceives him as a part time catcher even after a year of playing multiple positions is a fool.

It's not necessarily that anyone would actually believe it, but that it would be used against him as leverage in FA negotiations.

Accepting a move to become a C/DH/1B in your FA walk year could easily cost you millions upon millions of dollars. The Brewers have had Luc on an absolute steal of a deal for years now. I can't blame Luc for not wanting to leave even more money on the table.

And like I said in the MLB thread -- I think the Crew will be able to get a similar, if not improved, return on him in the offseason.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived