Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

We don't need a catcher in this deal. Maldy and the two old guys in AAA are fine until we can find one.

I'd rather we just went after the best talent possible and worried about catcher in the offseason.

We don't need one, but why can't we get one? It is like some sin if we do to some people like we are trying to replace Lucroy in a Lucroy trade.

Well if we use the Cleveland debacle as a model, we went all in on a catcher as a lead while ignoring their more elite OF prospects and arms.

I'd say we may have done the same with the Oakland deal. Go for the Luc replacement instead of better prospects.

The moral of the story is to get them when they are available and not force it.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're going a little over-the-top with sanctimonious condescension. How do YOU know Gallo is going to be good? And if you are convinced he is going to be good, why do you think Texas would make him available? Not a single prospect watcher/evaluator thinks he is the best prospect and the Rangers don't even think he is good enough to be on the MLB team right now. Why would Stearns worry about making the current team better? Everybody knows it is a rebuilding process. We are not going to compete for a few years.

Because if you're a professional and have any kind of a competitive bone in your body..you should ALWAYS be trying to win games. That is afte rall why they play Isn't it?? Who says if you don't acquire a few major league ready pieces in trades, and everything falls into place that you can't win next year already?? I just hate teams that purposely try to lose..It ruins the integrity of the game.

Or maybe he's capable of long-term planning.

We don't need a catcher in this deal. Maldy and the two old guys in AAA are fine until we can find one.

I'd rather we just went after the best talent possible and worried about catcher in the offseason.

We don't need one, but why can't we get one? It is like some sin if we do to some people like we are trying to replace Lucroy in a Lucroy trade.

Well if we use the Cleveland debacle as a model, we went all in on a catcher as a lead while ignoring their more elite OF prospects and arms.

I'd say we may have done the same with the Oakland deal. Go for the Luc replacement instead of better prospects.

The moral of the story is to get them when they are available and not force it.

Their OFers weren't available. THEY WERENT AVAILABLE.

Gallo (as a 22 yo in AAA): .246/.381/.557/.939 with 19 HRs, 5 3B, 53 BBs, 91 Ks, 1 SB in 244 ABs

Brinson (as a 22 yo in AA): .233/.280/.425/.705 with 11 HRs, 6 3B, 19 BBs, 66 Ks, 12 SBs in 313 ABs

People have been using some weird statistical comparisons in this thread.

First, all of the AAA stats completely neglected total PA to provide any type of context.

Then above why compare 3B which aren't indicative of anything, especially when Gallo doesn't run well and most 3B are the result of defensive positioning or misplays? If you want to compare XBHs why not use 2B and HRs like everyone who talks about prospects does? I suspect it's because Brinson actually has more and it didn't suit the narrative being pushed. Even so the base comparison is invalid because Gallo is a corner infielder and Brinson is a CF so any comparisons should be made to other players along those positioning lines. Unless the expectation is that all CFs will hit like Mike Trout? Brinson has also been dealing with a shoulder issue which is somewhat scary as they are career enders for baseball players which has limited his effectiveness. If the expectation is that every stud prospect will never have a down year it's unrealistic, only the absolute best super prospects perform at that level and even they will bomb out on occasion.

There's just been very little context provided beyond the Gallo to Branyan comparison which I feel is probably the most valid possible, and I was never a Branyan supporter or lover of 3TO. I was amused by the support for him on this site, but never shared in it, nor the 3TO fascination.

It doesn't matter how much power you have if you aren't able to consistently put the bat on the ball, power doesn't translate without contact. For Gallo to hit enough HRs to be valuable he has to be able to put in the ball play enough to hit for a reasonable MLB average, unless we're going to project him to have the best HR rate of all time? It's nearly impossible to hit 40 HRs hitting less than .220.

Well I provided ABs for his AAA stats... if you prefer PAs you could probably get a good idea by adding the BBs to that. I didn't really leave out 2Bs maliciously (Brinson has 15 compared to Gallos 9, in 70 fewer at-bats if you care), I wasn't even going to include 3Bs, I just found it interesting that Gallo had as many as 5 considering as you mentioned he's not thought as a speed guy. Otherwise, I pretty much provided each players' entire stat line listed on MLB Pipeline, so I think that was fairly fair.

I don't agree with your assessment that just because he has a low batting average that it would require him to have the best HR rate of all time to hit 40 homers. Just 4 years ago Dunn hit 41 with a .204 average. The same year Granderson hit 43 with a .232 average. Pujols hit 40 with a .244 average last year. Two years ago Carter hit 37 batting .227. It's not out of the realms of possibilities.

Your point on defensive positions is valid, however, if we're looking to add an impact bat to the lineup I'd gamble on Gallo's bat being the highest upside we might have a chance at and it's at a position we don't have many options for in our system.

Your point on Brinson's injury is also valid, although, it'd be nice to see him produce at a higher rate afterwards before making him the centerpiece of a deal.

Again, I'm not really against Brinson, I just don't see how some would be so much more disappointed in having Gallo instead of him. And like others have mentioned, it may be a moot point anyways if Stearns would rather have multiple lower level prospects than grabbing one of their top 2 guys, but if we're getting one or the other I don't think Gallo is the disaster some make him out to be.

Gallo and Ortiz/Mendez either is a better offer than Mejia and the other two Utility/4th OF types. I really hope that that becomes the haul. If you add the RP you add another top 20 prospect on Texas. Jeffress to me is the one to trade away Get Jurado plus someone lower.

The only real catcher prospects in the system are Nottingham, Feliciano, and McDowell - maybe Pinto, albeit Pinto's 27.

I want more depth. So, if the Rangers want Lucroy, they can hand over Gallo, one of Trevino, David Garcia, or Brett Nicholas, and at least one other prospect.

Really don't understand the Catcher Wants. It's the least productive position offensively in baseball. D'Arnaud was a top 5 prospect. Few injuries and he's a scrapheap catcher nobody here wants. Already a number of posters here have convinced themselves, Nottingham can't become a Catcher and has to move from the position. Yet, he was a prize of the Khris Davis trade. If Nottingham can't Catch at Catcher. That trade is a complete Fail. no matter what Derby produces(unless he become TOR type)

Now you all that are chiming for another Catcher to be included in trade? You haven't learned. There was a post that Lucroy as the Brewers' catcher according to Fangraphs? Amounts to the Best Brewer Catcher of ALL TIME in amount of WAR. Almost Half a Century of Catchers and Lucroy's numbers are the best help to the team. The odds are ridiculously low Any Catcher will amount to what Lucroy amounted to. Give me the Bubba Derby's over any Catcher in a trade please! The odds are they'll be more than twice the value any of the Catchers in return ever provide. I mean if a guy can bat .330+ in AAA and not appease you to replace Lucroy. What in the world will appease you? .215 is a standard Catcher bat. .240 if you're lucky is a hitting catcher. Any above makes them All Star worthy potentials. Literally, the moment you say Nottingham won't be a catcher. Well, at .232/.295/.327 bat plays absolutely nowhere else but Pinch Hitter or AAAA guy terribly.

So lets continue to push for Catcher with our 1st round picks and acquire in trades. This rebuild and non-World Series title Organization will continue for a long time trying to build from the Catcher position versus the SP position.

I'm not a big fan of targeting individual positions at this point anyway. Just take the best prospects we can get. Whether it's pitching, catcher, or shortstop, I don't really care. Just concentrate on adding the best players.

Really don't understand the Catcher Wants. It's the least productive position offensively in baseball.

That's a fair point but perhaps that's exactly the reason for it. A catcher who can be a significant offensive contributor is a much bigger upgrade in your lineup than someone who hits at the same level at another position.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Really don't understand the Catcher Wants. It's the least productive position offensively in baseball. D'Arnaud was a top 5 prospect. Few injuries and he's a scrapheap catcher nobody here wants. Already a number of posters here have convinced themselves, Nottingham can't become a Catcher and has to move from the position. Yet, he was a prize of the Khris Davis trade. If Nottingham can't Catch at Catcher. That trade is a complete Fail. no matter what Derby produces(unless he become TOR type)

Now you all that are chiming for another Catcher to be included in trade? You haven't learned. There was a post that Lucroy as the Brewers' catcher according to Fangraphs? Amounts to the Best Brewer Catcher of ALL TIME in amount of WAR. Almost Half a Century of Catchers and Lucroy's numbers are the best help to the team. The odds are ridiculously low Any Catcher will amount to what Lucroy amounted to. Give me the Bubba Derby's over any Catcher in a trade please! The odds are they'll be more than twice the value any of the Catchers in return ever provide. I mean if a guy can bat .330+ in AAA and not appease you to replace Lucroy. What in the world will appease you? .215 is a standard Catcher bat. .240 if you're lucky is a hitting catcher. Any above makes them All Star worthy potentials. Literally, the moment you say Nottingham won't be a catcher. Well, at .232/.295/.327 bat plays absolutely nowhere else but Pinch Hitter or AAAA guy terribly.

So lets continue to push for Catcher with our 1st round picks and acquire in trades. This rebuild and non-World Series title Organization will continue for a long time trying to build from the Catcher position versus the SP position.

Pitching. Pitching. And MOAR pitching. Without top end pitching this team will never win a world series. And no, we will not be able to buy Jon Lester either when the right time comes.

Who says if you don't acquire a few major league ready pieces in trades, and everything falls into place that you can't win next year already??

I do. Many do. We are sitting behind the best team in all of baseball that is young, talented, has a solid farm system, and arguably the best manager and GM in all of baseball. They are going to be the standard of this division and the NL for several years. No matter how much "falls into place", we will not be a better team than the Cubs in the next 2-3 years at least. And that is being generous and frankly a bit dishonest, as I think they will be dominant for 5+ years easily. Additionally, we are behind the Cardinals that are still one of the best organizations in all of sports. They are .533 and view it as a major disappointment. The Bucs are regressing, but they no longer are a joke and jumping to their level alone will be a feat. The Reds are the only team in the division I can realistically see us being ahead of for the foreseeable future.

We are staring BEST CASE at a wildcard spot anytime in the near future.

Regardless of what you or I or anyone thinks about Gallo, there is no way the Milwaukee Brewers can find major league ready talent and win with it any time soon. We cannot and will not win anytime in the next 2-3 years with the best team in baseball in front of us. Period.

Personally, I think Gallo would be a nice pickup, and the franchise needs power. However, if he's the headliner of the trade, I think it would go against everything this team needs to be progressing towards. I vastly prefer younger talent that will be major league ready in 2-3 years setting us up for 4-5 years from now being competitive. If it's Gallo plus 2-3 of the players mentioned most often, I think that's a fine haul. If it's 4-5 of the rest of their top talent not named Gallo, I'll be even more positive.

Not because I want to see a minor league team win a championship, but because watching the Brewers go 76-86 or thereabouts doesn't make me feel any better than going 66-96, and because the long term thinking that is required dictates that "trying to win" now is pointless, so get young, get talented, and shoot for 2018-19 realistically.

We need to construct a 90+ win team. Once we do that we will compete with the Cubs. Too many of you want to calculate it out when we can just easily win the division with 85 wins. Winning the division isn't easy and never will be. Time to acquire talent and start putting a real team on the field. Stop waiting for a Cubs team to regress.

Archived