Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Gallo also has a 70 arm. Something that doesn't quite get mentioned enough.

Because he is pretty bad at 3B and likely will never utilize that great arm at 1B.

Can he play OF? Is he slow? Wait, is this guy on our team yet?

Oh his terrible defense is real, but I was throwing it out there.

Yah that is sort of why his arm isn't really talked about. There is also a pretty big fear bad defense at 1st base will hurt the offensive production.

Gallo also has a 70 arm. Something that doesn't quite get mentioned enough

On he flip side though he only has a 40 hit and 40 field tool. If he hits the ball it'll go a long way. But that's a big if. And I admit I know little about defensive statistics but if you take his career minor league fielding percentage at third base (.931) and compared it to major league third basemen who qualify to be be counted in 2016, he's ranked 21st out of 22. He's not Ryan Braun bad, but he's bad.

I would be more than happy with either Gallo or Brinson headlining a package. I'm still leaning a little bit more towards Gallo. He's a popular target for people to "dislike" and project as a bust, but even his floor would make him instantly the most dynamic hitter in our minors and at a position (regardless of which corner infield spot he ends up at) that we're lacking in.

Again, I'd love either guy, but for those who are opposed to Gallo and want Brinson instead, take a look at what each has done this year in the minors and realize that Gallo's only 6 months older than Brinson and doing it a level higher than Brinson:

Gallo (as a 22 yo in AAA): .246/.381/.557/.939 with 19 HRs, 5 3B, 53 BBs, 91 Ks, 1 SB in 244 ABs

Brinson (as a 22 yo in AA): .233/.280/.425/.705 with 11 HRs, 6 3B, 19 BBs, 66 Ks, 12 SBs in 313 ABs

In a one-for-one deal, I can understand not wanting to take the risk of Gallo busting, but in a package with 3+ other players, I would glad to have his upside included.

I'm getting a real good kick out of all the Gallo talk.

Gallo is not a Stearns guy. He is major league ready and would take a lot of the value out of Lucroy/Jeffress.

I talked to my Brewers scout friend again this afternoon. He scouted the Rangers system for a good two weeks. This morning his superior called and asked for more info on Yohander Mendez, Pedro Payano, Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Ariel Jurado, Leody Taveras, and Ronald Guzman.

If I were a betting man, I would guess a Lucroy and Jeffress package to the Rangers will bring back 4-7 guys and will include some of the above.

My friend really like Pedro Payano and thinks he is the diamond in the rough. Nasty stuff.

My friend really like Pedro Payano and thinks he is the diamond in the rough. Nasty stuff.

He's interesting. One of the better looking prospects in the bottom half of the Ranger's top 30 list. Does your friend have any information about Payano being on the disabled list? Trying to find injury information on minor league players is a real pain in the behind.

I realize that he only has 3 years of team control left, but am I the only one that would prefer Profar over Gallo? I'm not entirely in the "Gallo's a bust" bandwagon, but I feel Profar will be a very good ballplayer. He's only 23. Best prospect in baseball 3 years ago. Infielder, but has had a couple games in the outfield this year. This creates a complete logjam in our lineup but if it's about gathering the best talent available, is he an option?

Besides, we could flip him at the deadline in the next couple years and go through this all over again!

Gallo is not a Stearns guy. He is major league ready and would take a lot of the value out of Lucroy/Jeffress.

I talked to my Brewers scout friend again this afternoon. He scouted the Rangers system for a good two weeks. This morning his superior called and asked for more info on Yohander Mendez, Pedro Payano, Andy Ibanez, Josh Morgan, Ariel Jurado, Leody Taveras, and Ronald Guzman.

If I were a betting man, I would guess a Lucroy and Jeffress package to the Rangers will bring back 4-7 guys and will include some of the above.

This would be more like it to me. Definitely makes me more in favor of one of these moves. I'm not interested in Gallo and I don't value Brinson as the same value as a main centerpiece, eating up most of that value.

Great stuff Wildcat, and a nice group of players mentioned.

Regarding Gallo, Evan Grant's article is online, Trade deadline: Why Joey Gallo may never be more than shadow of Rangers' prospects past

Not just “at Night” anymore.

He's interesting. One of the better looking prospects in the bottom half of the Ranger's top 30 list. Does your friend have any information about Payano being on the disabled list? Trying to find injury information on minor league players is a real pain in the behind.

Nope. He saw Payano pitch in extended spring in Arizona back in April.

I realize that he only has 3 years of team control left, but am I the only one that would prefer Profar over Gallo? I'm not entirely in the "Gallo's a bust" bandwagon, but I feel Profar will be a very good ballplayer. He's only 23. Best prospect in baseball 3 years ago. Infielder, but has had a couple games in the outfield this year. This creates a complete logjam in our lineup but if it's about gathering the best talent available, is he an option?

Besides, we could flip him at the deadline in the next couple years and go through this all over again!

He's been brought up plenty of times here but he really offers nothing for Milwaukee due to his limited years of control left.

Was wondering this as well, looks like his last outing was July 7th when he came out of the game after just 1.2 innings. Anyone know what type injury he sustained?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Great stuff wildcat! Always love your contibutions to the board!

@WiscoSportsNut

Note about Mendez, his career high for IP prior to this year was last year, when he pitched 66 1/3 innings. He's currently at 84 2/3 this year, so he might be shut down after a few more starts. He had some elbow issues in 2012 and 2014 that caused this limitation by the Rangers. He might not be ready for a full season of pitching for 2-3 more years.

Ortiz has similar injury-related innings issues.

Archived