Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

Bottom line is a trade including Gallo or Brinson is exciting and real. A trade for players 4-6 years away for the best catcher in Brewers history seems like an unnecessary risk.

To trade for guys that will be up this year or next seems a waste since we are bad this year and are probably bad next year. Plus we can get more if we go loer in the minors for players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let the great debate continue, is he Russell Branyan or Jim Thome?

Jim Thome hit .332/.441/.585 in AAA, so.....

IIRC Thome played AAA for Charlie Manuel in Colorado Springs...

At times you need to consider the other factors..

Cleveland was team stuck with Colorado Spings as its AAA affiliate until the Rockies came into the league, and wanted it for themselves..

If we are going to package Jeffress, a top 5 reliever on the market, WITH Lucroy, the best bump at a position in the market, WITH a Davies or Guerra, we better get what we want in their system...... Only a day ago we were talking about getting 2 top line players plus throw ins JUST for Lucroy. Now, seeing what relievers are netting in trades, we are willy milky throwing in Jeffress, who has another 3 years of control???? And a SP???

Don't trade just to trade, DS. Easy....

Bottom line is a trade including Gallo or Brinson is exciting and real. A trade for players 4-6 years away for the best catcher in Brewers history seems like an unnecessary risk.

To trade for guys that will be up this year or next seems a waste since we are bad this year and are probably bad next year. Plus we can get more if we go loer in the minors for players.

Sure but the risk is real then. You want to deal Lucroy for players that may hit Or pitch well at A ball but will that translate to AA or AAA? For Lucroy, I would much prefer to have players who have performed at the higher levels than the lower levels regardless of when the rebuild is supposed to be in its Final stages.

Here's a question - there's a lot of talk about not taking AAA players because of the time it will take the team (as a whole) to be competitive. Why not though? If a player is good enough then why not just take him? Do you really want all of your young core to eventually become free agents at once? Another way to look at it is that you can always flip him in a year or two for more prospects (assuming, of course, that he's good enough to warrant that).
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I'd deal Guerra before Nelson for sure.

Guerra would be my choice. It would be a good sell high move.

Lucroy, Jeffress, and Guerra for IF Joey Gallo, LHP Yohander Mendez, OF Ryan Cordell, C David Garcia, and C/1B Brett Nicholas

Yeah, I don't agree with the timeline reasons for taking players in the lower minors rather than the upper minors. If that was the case, then we should be looking to get rid of guys like Arcia too.

The goal is to amass as much controllable talent as possible. We want those potential 6 years of pre-FA controllability and we want it in the form of as much talent as possible regardless of when they're expected to reach the majors. Having a constant stream of talent rather than a pre-defined window of talent seems to be part of Stearn's plan. So if teams are willing to give up higher talent or more talent lower in the minors, then we're willing to assume that risk.

Crazy thought given I mentioned Fryer earlier. But, if we deal Lucroy, why not try to acquire him? He's had a solid track-record, but has bounced around a lot. Maybe he just needs a chance

I don't think we are necessarily looking just at low level guys. I think Stearns likes to focus on these areas because it's easier to get top potential talent when they're this far away and less projectable, plus they would be starting to come into the league around when we project to be competitive again. But Stearns @Co. have said they want to accumulate talent at all levels. If the right deal presents itself for an AAA stud, I'm sure they won't hesitate.

I'd deal Guerra before Nelson for sure.

Guerra would be my choice. It would be a good sell high move.

Lucroy, Jeffress, and Guerra for IF Joey Gallo, LHP Yohander Mendez, OF Ryan Cordell, C David Garcia, and C/1B Brett Nicholas

Need more

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

With regards to Gallo, the kid is an 80 power. There aren't many guys with that number. Stanton, Harper and Bryant come to mind. Probably a few others, but I don't know if anyone in the minors has that ranking.

I'm not saying Gallo will be good. Without question, his hit tool is an issue, and could easily make the guy a bust. But he has a very unique and rare skill - maximum power. A lot just comes down to the Brewers scouts and coaches and what they think about Gallo. If they think they can make the guy a major league regular, there's the potential for some huge returns. But yes, there's probably a big risk with him, unlike a lot of the other Top 20 types. But if he didn't have question marks, there's no way Texas would be trading him.

Personal preference, I'd take Brinson over Gallo. I'm not sure Gallo is a long term third baseman either. I also like more well rounded hit tools. Sure, great raw power is nice, but the more well rounded you are, the more consistent success you have.

I wouldn't be ticked off if we got Gallo, though. will say the system lacks power right now, so I wouldn't be furious if we got Gallo.

Regardless, a corps coming back that includes Guzman, Mendez, Jurado and Tavares would make me very very happy. Those four would give a real jolt to our prospects list. Then you can finalize depending on who else is involved.

If Milwaukee keeps Guerra, and he is still rolling the first part of next year on a bad Brewers club, that to me would indicate a very big return next year because he would establish a track record. That's the gamble. Sell high now or really kill it with more track record.

Personal preference, I'd take Brinson over Gallo. I'm not sure Gallo is a long term third baseman either. I also like more well rounded hit tools. Sure, great raw power is nice, but the more well rounded you are, the more consistent success you have.

I wouldn't be ticked off if we got Gallo, though. will say the system lacks power right now, so I wouldn't be furious if we got Gallo.

Regardless, a corps coming back that includes Guzman, Mendez, Jurado and Tavares would make me very very happy. Those four would give a real jolt to our prospects list. Then you can finalize depending on who else is involved.

If Milwaukee keeps Guerra, and he is still rolling the first part of next year on a bad Brewers club, that to me would indicate a very big return next year because he would establish a track record. That's the gamble. Sell high now or really kill it with more track record.

This. Brinson over Gallo. You get plus defense and better hit tool. Gallo is definition of boom/bust. The four guys you mentioned are the ones I want back.

With regards to Gallo, the kid is an 80 power. There aren't many guys with that number. Stanton, Harper and Bryant come to mind. Probably a few others, but I don't know if anyone in the minors has that ranking.

There weren't any other players with an 80 power tool in BA's top 100 this year. There were only seven players with an 80 anything tool.

Archived