Brewer Fanatic

The Brand New Lucroy Trade Thread

Jeff Wilson ‏@JeffWilson_FWST 2m2 minutes ago

#Rangers trade news (from sources): Talking with #Brewers about Jonathan Lucroy + reliever, with Joey Gallo involved, but nothing imminent.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallo - I'm afraid he'll be a bust. Can't manage .250 in AAA - or even .200 last year. And has struck out 9 times in 14 ABs with the Rangers this year. Looks completely overmatched. Let's stay with the inexpensive version of an all-or-nothing slugger, Chris Carter, and not spend our Lucroy capital on a prospect who may well bomb.

Every single prospect could bomb...That's the problem with prospects.

Holy strawman

Agreed. No prospect is a sure thing. Gallo would be an outstanding return. People worry too much about the strikeouts. Jim Thome had damn near a 1.000 career OPS and struck out a ton. Strikeouts do not keep someone from being a really good player.

If a guy leads the league in strikeouts but has a .950 OPS, are you going to play him? Yes. Every day.

I do not understand the fascination with Gallo. Sure he is a top prospect now, but let's not pretend he is a generational prospect a la Trout and Harper. He is going to strike out A LOT.

Fills an organizational need, longterm, for a power hitting 1B. Intriguing, exciting potential as a HR hitter. Still only 22 years old. Despite some MLB playing experience, BaseballReference.com lists him as not being eligible for free agency until 2022

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Gallo - I'm afraid he'll be a bust. Can't manage .250 in AAA - or even .200 last year. And has struck out 9 times in 14 ABs with the Rangers this year. Looks completely overmatched. Let's stay with the inexpensive version of an all-or-nothing slugger, Chris Carter, and not spend our Lucroy capital on a prospect who may well bomb.

Every single prospect could bomb...That's the problem with prospects.

Yes, every prospect could bomb, but Gallo's numbers in AAA compared to other legit prospects who have done well at the MLB level, as others have pointed out, provide real cause for concern.

I'm ok with Gallo but not enamored. For the people that seem to think he's going to be Adam Dunn 2.0 - tons of K's but also lots of HR's and high OBP...here are Dunn's AAA stats (age 21):

.329/.441/.676/1.117

If we get Gallo I hope I'm wrong, but his AAA numbers are cause for concern.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Community Moderator
Gallo reminds me of Mike Olt. I will never understand why they were such highly ranked guys. I think Gallo will fair better, but a Top 15 prospect should be a future star...I don't see that with Gallo.

A big difference is Olt had some fairly significant vision issues that first came up in college and then affected him again down the road.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Gallo reminds me of Mike Olt. I will never understand why they were such highly ranked guys. I think Gallo will fair better, but a Top 15 prospect should be a future star...I don't see that with Gallo.

In my mind a top 15 prospect should have the tools to be a star and production to back up those beliefs. There are not enough slam dunk prospects that are future stars. Gallo has incredible power, great on base skills, is young, and can play the field. Seems like the kind of guy who us usually in the 15 to 30 range.

Let him finish in Colorado Springs. Those numbers will go up.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

the brewers fans are going to be very disspointed when Gallo becomes our next Bryan. i give them Smith to TT before JJ.

I would totally be dissapointed if he becomes Bryan. Bryan sucks. If he becomes Branyan I would be thrilled.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Left-hand power hitters don't just grow on trees. Gallo has the potential to put up big power numbers in Miller Park. Certainly not a sure thing, but an exciting roll of the dice. Huge bonus points if he can actually stick at 3B
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

the brewers fans are going to be very disspointed when Gallo becomes our next Bryan. i give them Smith to TT before JJ.

Branyan had a .351/.526/.878 line with the Brewers and a .329/.485/.814 for his career. I would definitely take 5+ pre-free agent years of that.

At this point I'd say a deal to the Rangers is almost a sure thing. I have a hunch they are just seeing what prospects they can get for which players. Is it worth it to trade Davies or do we just deal them Guerra. OR do we send them Jeffress.

That's where I think talks are at this point. Total guess though.

If Gallo's in the deal, with Fielder out for the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter thrown into the deal as well.

No that is my 1-2 punch! Probably though as Gallo can't play a very good 3B and benching Perez would be a shame the way he is hitting.

Archived