Brewer Fanatic

Andrew Miller to Indians

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no...

Why oh no? Dries up the relief pitcher market, when there are still teams with a need and we still have pieces to offer. Unless you're thinking the Lucroy trade will fall apart as a result.

I was thinking the same thing, not that this is necessarily "more" than we got for Lucroy, but I just don't get how relievers are commanding so much in return. I feel like this is the market inefficiency of 2016.

Which, the market just pisses me off. A top-3 reliever get you more than a top 3 catcher. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

This is not meant to be a snarky comment but it doesn't have to make sense to you. These GM's feel their window is here and if their bullpen can get outs at the end of the game, they have a chance to win it all. Btw, I'm with you on it not making sense.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's two different players at two different positions, but it's hard to ignore the large gap in talent the the Indians gave for Miller in comparison to Lucroy. It's clear this market is placing an emphasis on shortening games in the postseason with elite bullpen arms, but shocked that an everyday all star catcher isn't on par.
Gruber Lawffices

According to Buster, 4 players going to the Yankees. I hope the Cleveland/Lucroy deal falls through. I wasn't enamored with the return and Cleveland can go into the playoffs with their .178 hitting catchers.

According to Buster, 4 players going to the Yankees. I hope the Cleveland/Lucroy deal falls through. I wasn't enamored with the return and Cleveland can go into the playoffs with their .178 hitting catchers.

The Lucroy deal falling through would be terrible. The Brewers got some good players for him, including a guy who could be his replacement in a few years. I would imagine the chances are slim that the deal both gets cancelled AND the Brewers are somehow able to turn around and get a better haul for him.

The Lucroy deal falling through would be terrible. The Brewers got some good players for him, including a guy who could be his replacement in a few years. I would imagine the chances are slim that the deal both gets cancelled AND the Brewers are somehow able to turn around and get a better haul for him.

They did last year with Gomez. But I would rather shop Lucroy later in the offseason or next year than go back to the Mets and take a deal centered on D'Arneau.

They did last year with Gomez. But I would rather shop Lucroy later in the offseason or next year than go back to the Mets and take a deal centered on D'Arneau.

Absolutely, do not deal with the Mets!

I"m absolutely thrilled for Indians fans - I'm really glad they did this. GO FOR IT!

Brewers fans, we did just fine in the Lucroy deal, relax, we got very real talent back.

GO TRIBE in 2016! Cleveland and Milwaukee are very similar markets - be happy for their fans, and applaud their management for going for it when they should have.

So here is the big problem I have now with this, and David Stearns:

Im upset that, if rumors are true, that when dealing with the Indians on Jonathan Lucroy, he "insisted" on one of the three of Frazier (ranked 21st), Zimmer (ranked 27th) and Mejia (ranked 70th by Baseball America). Of course the Indians are going to "settle" on their lower ranked prospect. I undertand that he is not advanced as the other two and may have more upside, but both Zimmer and Frazier have tons of upside as well, play premium OF positions, have speed, and power potential....they are 5 tool prospects, and Mejia isnt. He should have insisted on Frazier or Zimmer and then asked for Mejia as an additional piece.

And then secondly, he should have known that the Indians were looking for a relief pitcher. Given what they are going to give up for Andrew Miller, who has 2.5 years left at $9 million a year, the Brewers should have at least expected at least Sheffield for 2.5 years of Will Smith.

I have a feeling that Lucroy is going to turn down the deal and ask for something crazy on the financial side that will nix the whole deal, but Stearns does not look good in this play of events in my opinion. And if this happens, then he has to go shopping for the next best deal. And if this was what the best was for Lucroy, then the "next best" is even worse, and he has to go back to them with his tail between his legs.

Last two prospects involved appear to be Ben heller and J.P. Feyereisen, no McKenzie, so we can still hope.

With that return for the Yanks do you prefer the package for Miller or Chapman better? More control for Miller but I almost prefer the one for Aroldis from the Cubs. What are you guys' thoughts?

Archived