Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
Yes, Stearns knew Luc had a NTC including Cleveland and had to know there was a chance Jon would veto it so IMO it was rather foolish of Stearns to even entertain this deal in the first place.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To play devil's advocate, for all we know Stearns did give Lucroy's camp notice that he was entertaining an offer from the Indians and they indicated he would be open to it. I believe McCalvy had tweeted after the deal that the team had no reason to believe the NTC would be an issue.

I find it hard to believe that things progressed this far without some sort of understanding that he would be cool with this. Which means that either Lucroy's camp misled Stearns, or he did not even engage Lucroy in a discussion on this. Like Robert says, this is the second situation (Davies) where Stearns could be perceived as being out of touch with his locker room.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wonder if Lucroy got the feeling that Cleveland was going to do this exact same thing this winter - put him up for auction and recoup most (if not all) of what they traded him for. Perhaps he just didn't want to go through it a second time.

I thought Dave Cameron wrote at good story about the Lucroy veto situation over at Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/there-are-no-villains-in-the-jonathan-lucroy-story/

It seems to me it is entirely possible that Lucroy and his agent initially OK'D discussions with Cleveland and changed their minds later after further consideration. People do that all the time with things like groceries or clothing, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think something akin to a job change might lead to change after sleeping on it.

As much as I would like to see Lucroy trade while he is healthy, I am not sure that there really is anyone to blame here. Maybe some evidence will come out later, but until it does I think all parties probably did what they were supposed to do and it just didn't work, which happens sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Reading the tea leaves it seems like Lucroy's agent is trying to save face in regards to the ridiculously team friendly contract he had his client sign. He mentioned that "if I knew how important pitch framing would become" he would have asked for more money. My guess is that now the guy wants to play hardball with whatever negotiation comes his way in order to safe professional face.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wonder if Lucroy got the feeling that Cleveland was going to do this exact same thing this winter - put him up for auction and recoup most (if not all) of what they traded him for. Perhaps he just didn't want to go through it a second time.

I thought Dave Cameron wrote at good story about the Lucroy veto situation over at Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/there-are-no-villains-in-the-jonathan-lucroy-story/

I think that's correct. Cleveland has committed money to Gomes through 2019. They aren't going to pay two guys who play the same position after this year and Gomes trade value is minimal. That wouldn't be an issue with a bigger market as neither is getting a ton, but Cleveland needs that money elsewhere. Lucroy was almost certain to be dealt again this winter. Lucroy obviously wants to go to a place that will make him a nice extension offer.

So did Lucroy go to San Diego with the team? I'd assume he did, but would stink to go all the way out there then potentially have to fly back to wherever later today

lucroy stayed in milwaukee overnight, and will fly to san diego in time for tonight's game if not traded.

I am not sure that there really is anyone to blame here.

We can blame whoever leaked news of the trade. The Brewers, Indians, and Lucroy camps followed procedures appropriately.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I am not sure that there really is anyone to blame here.

We can blame whoever leaked news of the trade. The Brewers, Indians, and Lucroy camps followed procedures appropriately.

From the reports it seemed like nobody thought he would veto it. Which makes me think he had previously said he would go to Cleveland and then changed his mind due to contract issues, money, playing time, what have you. Cleveland had to know Lucroy would need to approve the trade and I can't believe they would have gotten this far without getting word from Stearns that Lucroy would accept it.

I understand it is his contractual right to veto the trade but all blame really falls on Lucroy here. Whether you think he's a turd for doing it or just exercising his contractual rights, it all falls on him.

The problem is that the reports all qualify as hearsay, which makes them one or more steps away from getting the information from the horse's mouth. Usually, we have the benefit of direct quotes from key participants to work with. But in this case, there was nothing until we got to the vague statements made during the damage control phase.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yes, Stearns knew Luc had a NTC including Cleveland and had to know there was a chance Jon would veto it so IMO it was rather foolish of Stearns to even entertain this deal in the first place.

Please, no trade clauses get waived all the time, usually after an influx of cash to the player. And Lucroy was the guy saying he wanted to play for a contender, so if anything Stearn was trying to do Luc a favor.

I suppose this could be my issue, but I don't like the word "blame" because it implies that someone has done something wrong. I can get behind Lucroy being the reason the trade didn't happen, but based upon the information we have to date I am not comfortable using the word "blame".

It is very possible that Lucroy told Stearns that he was prepared to waive his NTC, and when he said it he meant it. It would be perfectly reasonable for Lucroy to change his mind, particularly if new information became available that caused him to question his original decision.

If that's the case, I don't think anyone is really to "blame" anyone- Stearns communicated with Lucroy, Lucroy in good faith told Stearns he would waive the NTC, Milwaukee and Cleveland negotiated, new information made Lucroy uncomfortable, so he vetoed the trade. If that's the case (and I don't know if it is or is not), "blaming" anyone seems a bit harsh. Which is why I am not comfortable with that phrase.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I honestly wonder if Lucroy didn't want to go to Cleveland because he would have preferred on of the other suitors(Texas). Was it really about money or next year. Or what team he really wanted to play for?

Regardless his choice, but I do wonder.

Archived