Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
  • Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a fun game: which Brewer will be the centerpiece of Tradeline Trade Debacle 2017?

I thought 5 million for being a backup next year wasn't unreasonable. Worst case Brewers will keep him through next year and get nothing except a good catcher at a great deal. He can be sent to any number of teams without veto and will be stuck with his 2017 option.

Move on to the Cubs. They are in "All in" mode and had an offer as good as Cleveland. Who cares if they're in same division.

This has to affect deals for Smith, jeffress, Guerra and others too.

A Cubs trade would have to be more pitching orientated which on the surface seems fine as I want to build around pitching anyway, but the problem is that I don't like their pitching. Dylan Cease is their highest upside arm but his control is fairly poor at this point and for those that don't read the draft or MiLB forum any control project gives me pause as the Brewers just haven't had success turning any pitcher of that type into a front line starter.

The Cubs best position prospects are:

C Willson Contreras (AAA) - I like him, he's a bit of project behind the plate, but is toolsy

2B Ian Happ (AA) - Drafted last year, converted back to 2B from the OF, I wish I knew where he ultimately slots defensively, but his bat will play.

OF Eloy Jimenez ® - Every scouting site says he has the most raw power in the system, no one is quite sure how well he will hit long term, seems ticketed for RF if he makes it.

3B Jeimer Candelario (AAA) - I know he plays a position of need but I don't like him as a 3B as I don't like his power, athleticism, or defense at the position. Nor do I like him as an OF because he runs poorly.

I only see the Brewers pulling 1 of the 4, I'd prefer Contreras or Happ after their earlier trades.

That leaves a 2nd impact prospect to be one of the pitchers. After Cease:

RHP Dylan Underwood (22) - Another big arm with control issues and the added benefit of being oft injured, not someone I'm interested in.

RHP Oscar De La Cruz (21) - 2nd tier velocity wise, a decent curve, developing change, he'd be a nice 3rd piece but without 2 plus pitches he's not a headliner.

RHP Trevor Clifton (21) - 2nd tier velocity, nothing special off speed though he's making progress, likely a 3 best case.

LHP Bryan Hudson (19) - Average to 2nd tier velocity as his mechanics are a work in progress, curveball could be plus plus, developing change, another pitcher with huge control issues.

RHP Jose Albertos (17) - 2nd tier velocity, a nice change, and developing slider but developed forearm trouble after his 1 and only appearance in 2016 and looks ticketed for TJ.

I'd take Hudson and/or Albertos as throw ins, but I have no idea how to construct a deal from the Cubs farm system that I would actually like.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not heartbroken over this, especially after seeing what Cleveland gave up for Miller. The Brewers basically were getting three A ball players all far away from the majors and all far from being sure things... No pitching and no power bat. Not big on the "lists", but you mean to tell me that Lucroy doesn't warrant at least one top five org prospect? Bottom line is hold until the off season unless something great comes along... This shouldn't be an OBO situation.

Just finally read the news. Ugh. Too bad we can't send him down to AAA for the rest of the season.

For the life of me, I don't understand this mindset to somehow punish Luc. First, the Brewers included the NTC in the contract. They knew it was there, and it's there for a reason. Secondly, he likely has 1 solid contract in his career, and trying to get to that contract sooner is exactly what he should be thinking about. And lastly, at some point if you do want to get something of value for him, sending him down to AAA or sitting him only hurts the Brewers. You're still paying him, you get nothing from him, and you're further eroding what you can get.

I understand emotional responses, but some of these are just short sighted and silly.

Verified Member
Just finally read the news. Ugh. Too bad we can't send him down to AAA for the rest of the season.

For the life of me, I don't understand this mindset to somehow punish Luc. First, the Brewers included the NTC in the contract. They knew it was there, and it's there for a reason. Secondly, he likely has 1 solid contract in his career, and trying to get to that contract sooner is exactly what he should be thinking about. And lastly, at some point if you do want to get something of value for him, sending him down to AAA or sitting him only hurts the Brewers. You're still paying him, you get nothing from him, and you're further eroding what you can get.

I understand emotional responses, but some of these are just short sighted and silly.

This is wisdom from Fido McCokefiend--who sports a paint huffing avatar :)

This is wisdom from Fido McCokefiend--who sports a paint huffing avatar :)

Quoted by someone with the name OXY ;)

Yea I don't get the vitriol for Luc either. He never once complained about it nor did he complain about Milwaukee's lack of desire for an extension. There is a reason Cleveland was on his no trade list. He doesn't seem to want to be there long term. So it makes sense for him to decline to go to a place he clearly has no interest in going. Even then he would have went but he wanted something out of it in return. Cleveland said no. I can't blame him for that either.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess I'm not freaking out about this falling apart. I thought the return was a bit light, but such is life. For what its worth, the Brewers reportedly really loved Mejia and saw him as an all-star.

As for Lucroy, I wish he hadn't declined the trade, but it's his prerogative to do so. I don't know all the details, but if he didn't like things (for whatever reason - money, playing time, etc.), then he can say no. It doesn't make me like him more, but I'm not wishing bad things on the guy either.

I will assign some fault to Stearns and the front office for not having this in place with Lucroy before the deal. It seems they finalized the deal, then went to Lucroy - but perhaps I'm wrong about this. But knowing the no trade clause was there, they should have gone to him earlier and understood if there were issues with Cleveland. However, maybe things just came together quickly. Who knows.

I am okay waiting to deal Lucroy this off season. I know there is risk - injury, performance decline (a real issue considering Luc plays a lot and has a history of faltering late in the season). But more teams would likely be in on him this winter. Now we seem to just have a handful of suitors, so perhaps we can redo this in the winter and do just as good (if not better).

In the end, I'm not sweating things. It is what it is. Nothing more I can do about it. I just want to build a winning club.

This has to affect deals for Smith, jeffress, Guerra and others too.

Why would it?

Two ways. Time and resources focused on what happens next with Lucroy. Other teams sensing weakness and low balling offers for other Brewers trade candidates.

They can sense weakness all they want but if they lowball us they won't get the player they want. Stearns has shown patience and none of our players are on the last year of their contract. There is zero need to trade them just to get something for them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Yea I don't get the vitriol for Luc either. He never once complained about it nor did he complain about Milwaukee's lack of desire for an extension. There is a reason Cleveland was on his no trade list. He doesn't seem to want to be there long term. So it makes sense for him to decline to go to a place he clearly has no interest in going. Even then he would have went but he wanted something out of it in return. Cleveland said no. I can't blame him for that either.

A year and a couple months isn't long term. You're correct though, it's Lucroys right.

It sucks that Lucroy vetoed but I understand. He has one shot for one last big contract and he felt going to CLE wasn't going to maximize that opportunity. He has a dirt cheap contract o its hard to fault the guy for exercising some leverage. If CLE wasn't going to guaranty he wouldn't the starting C next year then they are morons IMO.

Ok, here's what I'm taking as the silver lining from this. Remember the first Gomez trade.....to the Mets? That didn't happen? Then when he did get traded, the return was far greater. While I really would like to have Mejia, I'm hoping for an even better return when Luc does leave.

I think losing out on mejia is going to sting the further we get away from this trade.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him listed as Clevelands top prospect after this season, and among the best in baseball. Basically if this exact package were offered for lucroy at next year's deadline, with still 1.5 years left on lucroys contract, people would be universally ecstatic about that level of return.

I guess at least we will have these players to watch compared to whatever the brewers finally do get for Luc, and walk away affirmed that a small market team should never offer a contract with a no trade clause in it.

The important thing is that we still have significant pieces that could improve a team out there from playoff contender to World Series contender. Lucroy, Jeffress, Smith, Guerra, etc, would tremendously improve the odds of any contender. The desire to 'go for it' is strong, and some teams may be looking to make a response move to what their rivals have already done. Think the contenders in the AL don't want to add some talent after seeing the Indians get Miller?

i haven't been on since the trade was veto'd and cannot go through all of the responses, i will just say that those who are saying that the veto is a disaster needs to wait until atlas 3pm tomorrow and probably a full 365 days to fully evaluate. Nobody thinks Lucroy will be on the team a full year from now and its stupid for the brewers to do so. Only last year the brewers got a better return after the gomez mets trade fell through.

Stearns is playing it off smart knowing that he doesn't have to move lucroy This will force teams like the mets to know that they cannot underbid and still get him.

While myself and a lot on this board will be upset if there is no trade, only because from my own perspective it means that we do not yet know the return. Id rather have that then get a bad package in return.

I think when you have a rookie GM you can expect some hiccups, makes me wonder how involved as a consultant DM is to let the events of the last 24 hours happen.

Archived