Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
  • Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something g doesn't add up, if Cleveland doesn't want to start him next year why wouldn't they just exercise his option and then trade him this offseason?

Gotta be more along the lines of lucroy insisting that option be eliminated, and both the brewers and Indians balking at that.

Ok so I will redirect some of my vitriol towards the Indians now if it's true that they wouldn't guarantee Luc PT. what a joke.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The Indians would be stupid to not start him next year if he's on the team. What a joke that is. But I really don't see how this hurts Lucroy's value. It didn't hurt Gomez last year. If someone wants him, they will pony up to get him.

Its called bargaining. They probably felt like he was going to be dealt during the off-season but didnt want to tell him that, and also, if you have a sure job, what is your incentive to beat out a catcher who might be better than you defensively. They have Gomes locked up for 3 more years I think.

I wouldnt say this was a bad move by the Indians to "say" that, but now the Brewers have to go fishing for the next best deal. I hope Stearns is calling an old Milwaukee guy out in Colorado and offering him up for something.

Have to say, I have been a big Stearns guy since the start, but this one makes him looks pretty bad.

I obviously don't know all the details or how this normally works...but to go through all that work with a team on Lucroy's no-trade list without an assurance that he will waive the clause seems pretty bad. Now all the teams know exactly what kind of package we would accept for Lucroy (and while I was ok with the return, it's obviously not a huge one) and know that a big bidder is completely out of the race. All our cards are now out on the table, lots of leverage lost.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Lucroy and agent trying to save face with that Bob Nightengale tweet about 'not assured playing time in 2017'. Indians aren't giving up that package to sit him in 2017. He's an AS catcher. Nice try derps.

You know I'm starting to really think that may be happening. It doesn't look good that a 2-Time All Star Catcher and the best pitch framer in MLB would be allocated to little or no catching in 2017. Something doesn't smell right about any of this.

Did Cleveland play hard ball with Lucroy as a way to nix the deal ? Found out they could get Miller' felt that was enough to win it all ,did not want to liquidity more of there minor leauge assets ?

Interesting thought. Miller was green lighted to be traded at 10-11pm last night...right when the Lucroy trade was being wrapped up and Lucroy notified.

Have to say, I have been a big Stearns guy since the start, but this one makes him looks pretty bad.

I obviously don't know all the details or how this normally works...but to go through all that work with a team on Lucroy's no-trade list without an assurance that he will waive the clause seems pretty bad. Now all the teams know exactly what kind of package we would accept for Lucroy (and while I was ok with the return, it's obviously not a huge one) and know that a big bidder is completely out of the race. All our cards are now out on the table, lots of leverage lost.

What's worse, the guy that was covetted (Mejia) and the other means to get him (Smith/ RP) is also closed since Tribe dealt to get Miller in the interim..

Understandably, Cleveland was in no way willing to meet that request, as the option is a significant factor in Lucroy’s value to the club. USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, meanwhile reports that the Indians weren’t promising Lucroy that he’d be their starting catcher in 2017, which gave him pause in approving the deal. Cleveland planned to rotate Lucroy between catcher, first base and DH in 2017.

I totally agree that a comp pick for Lucroy would be a near disaster. But Stearns cannot set a precedent of taking low-ball offers for superstar players because if he gets that reputation then all MLB GM's treat the Brewers as the Mets do. I'm all for holding Lucroy for another 12 months if the right offer doesn't come along.

Something g doesn't add up, if Cleveland doesn't want to start him next year why wouldn't they just exercise his option and then trade him this offseason?

Gotta be more along the lines of lucroy insisting that option be eliminated, and both the brewers and Indians balking at that.

Why would the Brewers balk at the option being eliminated? If he's traded, I'm sure they couldn't care less about whether or not he has a team option for next season.

Verified Member

Im guessing the Indians wouldnt guarantee the Luc would be the starting catcher NOT that he wouldnt get playing time (1B/DH). If they would have exercised his option and moved him out from behind the plate his FA value would go from great to very middling.

Lucroy doesnt have a cannon, but he has an okay arm. He's great at blocking balls and obviously is a good receiver with the pitch framing ability.

The whole supposedly not getting playing time in 2017 is a joke, no way Cleveland would make this trade and then not start a top-3 catcher in all of baseball over Gomes.

It's pretty simple, Lucroy wanted his 2017 option waived and Cleveland wouldn't give up that package for 0.5 years rather than 1.5 years. Don't blame either side for that, we as Brewers fans just get the short end of it all in the meantime...as is tradition.

I am not Shea Vucinich

The issue was Yan Gomes being there long term. In reality Yan Gomes is the long term catcher come 2018. It wouldn't be wise to move him off catcher entirely for a whole year in 2017. When Lucroy is at DH/1B Gomes would play C to stay fresh for 2018 and beyond.

Gomes is just as good and probably better defensively. So they don't lose anything by have Licroy play elsewhere sometimes.

Why would the Brewers balk at the option being eliminated? If he's traded, I'm sure they couldn't care less about whether or not he has a team option for next season.

Well I'm guessing Mejia then wouldn't be included in any deal, which DS immediately nixes. Indians wouldn't give that package if Luc isn't opted in for '17.

From ESPN: Cleveland's response to Lucroy's requests was to tell the Brewers that it was their responsibility to appease Lucroy and get him to consent to the agreed-upon trade, a source told ESPN's Buster Olney.

Really Indians?? What were the Brewers supposed to do to "appease" him, when you wouldn't guarantee that he'd be the starting catcher next year, nor would waive his option??

Frustrated beyond belief, I loved the Cleveland package. Hopefully we find out what Lucroys demands are at some point.

No matter what the actual cause this does make Stearns look bad.

Hopefully this turns out like last years of Gomez and we end up having a trade that a lot of people didn't like fall through only to have another deal the following day that appeased more people.

Archived