Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
Luc wanted the club option ripped up essentially from the Indians side, making him a free agent after this season. Hmm. No wonder it didn't happen.

He must just not want to play there for some reason. He is stupid if it was all about money because he just lost his chance then. Now he will get traded to a team he can't suck a few million from.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No animosity towards Lucroy from me, it's a business involving millions of dollars. He has a no-trade clause for a reason, and is exercising his negotiating leverage to improve his career just like any of us would.

That said, this does make it easier for me to say goodbye (if and when he does go) without getting too sentimental. And this sucks for the Brewers. Anyone saying multiple proven minor league talents are worse than a comp pick just because they aren't top-50 starting pitching prospects is just wrong.

I am not Shea Vucinich

It will be interesting to see if the story behind the Lucroy veto is ever made public (other than some garbage statement like he loves to play in Milwaukee).

Generally when trades occur that involve no-trade clauses and options years, the team where the player is heading agrees to pick up the option year of the deal. That obviously wasn't in play here because picking up that option year is a no-brainer. If anything, maybe Lucroy would only agree to waive the no-trade clause to Cleveland if the Indian's voided the option year, making Lucroy a free agent after this season. Obviously that really diminishes the value of this trade for Cleveland so if they refused then Lucroy would just veto the trade. He has obviously heard all the New York rumors and he (and his agent) probably figure they can use the no-trade clause to leverage a trade to a bigger market if the Brewers are ready to dump him regardless of the return.

When a player is asked to waive a no-trade clause there is always something a player gets back in the deal. That's just the way this business is done.

Luc wanted the club option ripped up essentially from the Indians side, making him a free agent after this season. Hmm. No wonder it didn't happen.

I bet Cleveland is willing to decline the option if they didn't have to give up 4 players to the Crew. Amount of control impacts how much team is willing to spend in assets going back..

Does DS accept even less to finalize deal and make sure he gets Mejia for the future???

Stearns has said the deal is over. No chance to repair.

This is unfortunate. I wasn't thrilled the Brewers didn't get an upside arm in the deal but liked the pieces they did get.

I've got to think the deals will only get weaker now. Any leverage the Brewers might have had seems to be gone if it's a team on his NTC. Bummer.

Honestly, if we don't find a trade for him by the deadline, I'd bench his ass for the rest of the season. When he inevitably goes to the media and complains about not playing, I immediately go to the media and say he had a chance to be starting for a contender and he blew it. That's on him.

I honestly don't even care if that lowers his trade value. Screw him.

Not only was Cleveland unwilling to offer any sort of financial compensation to compensate for the waiver, they wouldn't even guarantee that he would be their starting catcher next season.

Community Moderator
No one here gets it...with the package the Crew could have gotten from Cleveland, they were essentially giving him away anyway. So, what's the difference?? To not get any pitching back for him was a disgrace.

Regardless of how passionate you may be about your hot take, I would advise never starting a post with "No one here gets it". State your opinions without making negative generalizations about others sharing their opinions.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Honestly, if we don't find a trade for him by the deadline, I'd bench his ass for the rest of the season. When he inevitably goes to the media and complains about not playing, I immediately go to the media and say he had a chance to be starting for a contender and he blew it. That's on him.

I honestly don't even care if that lowers his trade value. Screw him.

Sounds like a really horrible way to treat one of your longest tenured players who has outplayed his contract and been payed well under market value his entire career.

Obviously every player wants to win; obviously there are other factors coming into play. I can't believe anyone would want Lucroy benched for exercising something in his contract that both him and US agreed to. It would be like Lucroy refusing to play next year because we exercised his team option.

The Indians would be stupid to not start him next year if he's on the team. What a joke that is. But I really don't see how this hurts Lucroy's value. It didn't hurt Gomez last year. If someone wants him, they will pony up to get him.

Problem is Lucroy's market sucks. It was a dogfight with Cleveland and the Mets for least dissapointing package.

The Indians would be stupid to not start him next year if he's on the team. What a joke that is. But I really don't see how this hurts Lucroy's value. It didn't hurt Gomez last year. If someone wants him, they will pony up to get him.

I guess the fear is that since it seems like the market was a bit cooler than expected for Lucroy, now that the highest bidder is out, that leaves the lower bidders remaining with the Brewers possibly in a position of weaker leverage.

But you are correct - it certainly worked out fine with Gomez last year. We'll certainly see soon enough.

That is a really weird decision by Cleveland not to guarantee Lucroy will be the starting catcher next year.

Problem is Lucroy's market sucks. It was a dogfight with Cleveland and the Mets for least dissapointing package.

From what's been reported. I don't believe most of what's reported about trade rumors. Most reporters just need to tweet something to stay relevant, whether there's any truth to it or not doesn't matter. Not just out of spite, but I really see Atlanta swooping in and getting him.

Yup. All it takes is one team. Package one of the relievers and get the same sort of deal Melvin got last year.

I must be missing something, if Lucroy wouldn't be Cleveland's starting catcher next year, who would be? Yan Gomes and his career .286 OBP? Gomes is a plus-plus catcher defensively but Lucroy is good behind the plate and there is no comparison when talking about the bats.

Have to think that Cleveland would have been looking use Lucroy for 2 months and then flip him in the off-season to return some of what they gave up in the Miller trade.

C'mon guys, this wasn't about being guaranteed a starting spot. That's Lucroy's agent leaking that. This was about him demanding they waive his team option.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived